'87 Savage (Read 192 times)
psi357
YaBB Newbies

Doesn't mater what
you ride, just ride!

Dartmouth, MA
'87 Savage
04/09/11 at 19:15:42

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.  I found you in a search while checking out what a Savage was when a member of another forum had asked about them.  I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap project bike of any kind in my area and what do you know, I found a Savage.

It is a '87 650 with 15k.  It is described as running great but has a gasket oil leak after the most recent oil change.  Has some rust on the exhaust and such but I'm looking to go through it anyway.

Is there any red flags or things to look for on a bike of this year and mileage?  I do not have any single cylinder experience, so hows the giddy-up?  Not looking for a street racer, just wondering how it will drag my 270lb butt around town Wink.  I love to do engine mods so is there a section or thread for that specifically that I am missing.  Would like to read more.

Any input/opinions would be greatly appreciated.  I went to a few spec sites I frequent for info and the Savage is there but none of the years have the write ups.  Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: '87 Savage
Reply #1 - 04/09/11 at 20:16:27

You are gonna be happy with your find. The 650 thumper will haul your butt around.  plenty of easy mods... carb & exhaust stuff,,Youll be happy,, & if youre Not,, you can get a cam..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #2 - 04/09/11 at 20:28:27

Probably the most critical item to look at would be the cam chain tensioner.  Here's a link to that.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

I weigh in about the same as you and believe me it'll pull your weight.  If I twist the wick at 55 it's going past 75 in a heartbeat and still climbing (then I chicken out.).  Check out the technical section.  There's a tremendous amount of good information there.  

These bikes are almost unchanged from the 1986 model (1st year) to present.  Mine's an 86 by the way.  I've never had a problem getting parts. Haven't needed many though.

Use the search and you'll find most anything you want to know

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 04/09/11 at 20:32:29

It really depends on you.  Both how you ride, and how you are built.  Aida loves her Savage, and can ride it all day.  I have a Marauder I find a lot more comfortable...  Her pegs are just too close for me.  (Fixable)  And stock, they are a bit wound out at highway speeds.  (Also fixable but more difficult)

That said, plenty or power around town, easy to work on, cheap to run, cheap to mod, and a nice sound.

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #4 - 04/09/11 at 20:41:59

I agree that it depends on how you are built.  I'm short and broad so the pegs are fine and the seat height is perfect but if that 270 lbs is spread over a 6' 5" frame it wouldn't be very confortable

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/09/11 at 22:34:10

here's our buying guide

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295653542/0

and the perfomance guide

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1291516932

And one other thing about pre '90's
The starter can jamb up and bust out the gears, so don't buy a bike that won't start, or has the starter pulled, or a bad battery.

there is a fix, but if it's busted already, forget it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

WWW   IP Logged
psi357
YaBB Newbies

Doesn't mater what
you ride, just ride!

Dartmouth, MA
Reply #6 - 04/10/11 at 05:40:28

Wow thanks for the links!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  

I see mentioned a lot to look for oil leaks, this one claims a new leak on the cylinder gasket.  Would that be a deal breaker or is it a gasket/sealant issue?  I am fully willing and able to do all work myself, just wondering if this is indicative of a terminal problem.  It's a bit of a drive from me, I hope to look at it soon and don't want to waste a trip.

Asking $700 so I guess I can't go terribly wrong.  You may just see me around more often.  That single cylinder has a nostalgic look that really catches my eye.  Sad to say that shaking out $700 out of my budget is easier said than done right now.  Hope I can get it to work.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #7 - 04/10/11 at 07:04:22

I agree to look for oil leaks, but for a different reason.  They scare people.  Cheesy  There is a button in the head that commonly leaks.  It is expensive to fix at a dealer, but looks simple (If time consuming) for the garage.

But while negotiating, "Oh...  That is bad.  It is $1500 to have a dealer fix it..."  I will give you $500 for it."  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/10/11 at 07:50:52

Houston we have a problem... yep I'd say that oil leak is worth a few, and oh... that tick, not good either... 500.

WWW   IP Logged
psi357
YaBB Newbies

Doesn't mater what
you ride, just ride!

Dartmouth, MA
Reply #9 - 04/10/11 at 08:25:21

I'll bring him a print out from this thread, maybe he'll pay ME to take it, lol.  Sounds worth a drive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/10/11 at 10:02:00

remember that cam chain is a happenin thing around 1,000 miles, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
psi357
YaBB Newbies

Doesn't mater what
you ride, just ride!

Dartmouth, MA
Reply #11 - 05/01/11 at 13:44:59

Finally going to see it this week.  Hope it works out, I've enjoyed this site and think the bobbers and the RYCA kit looks hot.  I'd like to see what I can do with it  Smiley
Is the cam chain problem the tensioner that I've read about or does the chain typically need to be change too?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/01/11 at 14:18:34

50/50, if you replace the tensioner with a stock one, you still have the same problem.  Either you go with the 2 holer or replace the chain.

I have 2 bikes, both with 45k+ miles with the original chain.  both chains are a bit long but still ticking.

WWW   IP Logged
lakegastonpack1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/01/11 at 20:56:15

I can only say this about the power of the S40/Savage--I weigh MORE than 270, and my 2005 will jump on 55, and has plenty left, and it is 100% stock. I have only had it a few months, but so far, for the price I paid, I am very impressed. It looks good, runs good, and rides good.
And this site is absolutely great. I have had 2 minor problems, and both answers were found right here, in very short order.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '87 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.