Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GEAR DOESNT SLAM DOWN?? (Read 309 times)
SHaW0069
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

GEAR DOESNT SLAM DOWN??
04/23/11 at 22:27:38

Hello my fello Rebles...

What the hell .... i went to a stop light tonight in my 07 boulevard
and i could not hit 1st!! gear!! i had to go to 2nd!!??

i just bought the bike.. less than 60km ago.. is this normal??

it was like its stuck in  neutral sometimes too... weird.....

is this normal? am i down shifting wrong or does other ppl find they get stuck in  neutrall too.. especially shift from second to first???

......i was stuck in  neutral ...trying to hit first... didnt hit to like the 12th try

normal? prob not... clutch too lose? ... im a noob and this seems weird even for me...

thanks for the help .. it just hit 15,000km ..... plz help the noobie ! hehe..

i was in  neutral and she keep slipping?? must have because when i hit her down shje keep sliding to  neutral .... after 12th try she went to 1st.... plz help...

THANKS BROSKI'S!!

IP Logged
SHaW0069
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: GEAR DOESNT SLAM DOWN??
Reply #1 - 04/23/11 at 22:32:17

I HAD TO KEEP SHIFTING DOWN ... LIKE 12X FOR IT TO HIT FIRST.... AND THIS IS STARTING TO BECOME NORMAL... ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TOO WHY...??

im not sure why it likes to hit gear better than normal sometimes... but its becomeing a pain now...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/23/11 at 22:43:05

Downshift all the way to first before you totally stop rolling. It is actually pretty normal for it to have trouble shifting down from nuetral if it's at a total stand still. If you need to be in neutral at a stop (which is unsafe) and have to shift down either give it just the slightest touch of throttle while shifting down BEFORE letting the clutch out and it'll snip right into gear OR let the clutch out just a bit while shifting down BEFORE giving it any throttle and it'll snip right into gear.

Every make and model vehicle has its quirks. You just found #1. #2 is the false nuetral between 4th and 5th on the 1995 and newer bikes. #3 If you get a squeeking it's probably the belt. #4 if you get a rattling...headlight and/or speedo. #5 stock jetting is lean...

The least obvious and most serious is the cam chain. Look through the Tech Documents and read up. If you have 10k miles or more I'd suggest checking it right away. Might not need adressed right away...or it might. But you need to know one way or the other or you could literally destroy your top end in the blink of an eye.

The bike's simple but quirky. Get to know it and learn how to care for it and it'll return the favor.

PS - Where are you from.

EDIT - DO NOT SLAM ON SHIFT LEVER Its connected to a shift linkage rod that can and will bend and/or break if you slam on it. Firm pressure. Do not slam or you may end up being stuck in whatever gear you're in and you'll have to replace the rod.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/24/11 at 00:30:37

Yes don't slam on the shifter, you'll bend stuff and it'll only get harder.

Here's what always works for me...

apply some weight to the shifter, then slowly ease out the clutch.  as soon as it starts to move it'll drop into gear.  Pull in the clutch and do it again till you're in 1st.

this also applies to shifting normally, apply a little pressure, clutch, throttle and before you know it... it's shifted.  This works well for going thru the false neutral between 4 & 5.

after you get the hang of this, clutchless shifting or quick shift.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 04/24/11 at 04:16:52

Clutchless shifting? I have arthritis in my hands and would love to know how to do that so it won't damage the bike!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 04/24/11 at 06:21:54

arteacher wrote on 04/24/11 at 04:16:52:
Clutchless shifting? I have arthritis in my hands and would love to know how to do that so it won't damage the bike!

Just let off the gas and shift

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/24/11 at 07:33:11

bill67 wrote on 04/24/11 at 06:21:54:
arteacher wrote on 04/24/11 at 04:16:52:

Just let off the gas and shift

I would describe it like this,.........................
Unload the engine, then shift.
Or use slight pressure on the shifter, then slowly lighten up on the throttle till it shifts.
Don't let completely off the throttle ! That will put a load on the tranny in the opposite direction.

Did I say that right ?? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 04/24/11 at 07:40:21

Yeah, it's a quick, short, partial easing off of the throttle, properly timed with flicking the gear lever. Upshifting is easy to learn. Downshifting without the clutch takes a little more skill.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/24/11 at 08:34:16

Try 4 to 5 1st it's the easiest
just a quick flip of the throttle to drop the rpm's and lift up with your toe.
practice this whenever you can and when you get the hang of it (when to shift, how much flip) then progress to other gears.

and yeah down shifting is harder, i can do it, but much smoother to use the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/24/11 at 09:12:37

Actually I seldom do it except 4 to 5th. It may not hurt, but I don't feel right about it,........I guess I keep thinking the clutch was put there for a purpose ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 04/24/11 at 09:24:23

Bad use of the clutch can cause damage too.   Wink

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/24/11 at 10:58:22

Routy wrote on 04/24/11 at 09:12:37:
Actually I seldom do it except 4 to 5th. It may not hurt, but I don't feel right about it,........I guess I keep thinking the clutch was put there for a purpose ? Shocked

Ive driven 18 wheelers & shifted w/o a clutch. Its there to make it easy to start from zero.
The RPM difference between 1st & 2nd makes clutch important there, to keep from jerking th thing around, but from 2nd up to 5th & back, no clutch is needed. Its just a coordinated move with toe & throttle. IF the gears are loaded, feeling pressure from accelerating OR ecelerating, it wont shift, gotta synch the RPM with the trans & take pressure off the gears. Its easy, you do it all th time, you just arent always wanting to shift when you do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SHaW0069
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/24/11 at 12:05:29

thanks for the fast response guys!
ill play with it a bit.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 04/24/11 at 12:55:13

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/24/11 at 09:24:23:
Bad use of the clutch can cause damage too.   Wink

Yeah, like WOT, then dump it Embarrassed

Rich
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 04/25/11 at 10:00:21

I think everyone should learn how to shift without using the clutch as a safety measure if for no other reason. I can't count how many times knowing how to speed shift has saved me from a long walk because of a snapped clutch cable on both cars and bikes.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GEAR DOESNT SLAM DOWN??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.