Send Topic Print
K&N Filter question (Read 80 times)
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

K&N Filter question
04/21/11 at 22:30:37

Hello from a n00b to the site - just got a new-to-me '09 S40 and we're making friends.  I've been reading a lot here and probably have missed this but here's my question... is there any benefit to adding a K&N filter without any other mods?  Or would it just be expensive and not have much affect?

I know backfiring is somewhat normal and especially the way I'm still learning how to operate this poor bike.  I just wondered if the filter alone would help (aside from me learning how to treat the throttle, I mean  Embarrassed)

Thanks!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: K&N Filter question
Reply #1 - 04/21/11 at 22:39:11

The common thinking is that backfiring is caused by a lean mixture and if anything, the K&N will lean it out worse.  I don't think you will see much benefit performance-wise unless you also uncork the muffler and rejet the carb.. save your money unless you are going to address those.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/21/11 at 22:41:08

No it wouldn't.
1st it'll make it leaner unless you rejet.
I recommend you leave it as it is for awhile.
maybe get together with some other savages so they can give you some tips.

WWW   IP Logged
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/21/11 at 22:55:18

Thank you!  I didn't really think it would make any positive change but I think I had the effect backwards.  Still so much to learn!  I'm not really planning on doing anything to her for a while except learning how to ride her much MUCH better.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 04/22/11 at 05:56:57

Food for thought,.................
In a replacement filter, if there is less sg inches of filter surface, and less restriction than the stock filter, it means only one thing, it will ingest dirt.
IMO, the only safe way to get less restriction, is to increase the sq inches of filter surface.
If there was any restriction w/ the stock filter, (and I doubt there is) it would be at WOT only. Think about it,.....if there was any restriction at crusing speed, (1/2-2/3 throttle) what would happen at WOT using twice as much air ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 12:18:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N Filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.