Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Polaris bought Indian (Read 105 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Polaris bought Indian
04/19/11 at 17:32:19

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/04/19/breaking-news-polaris-buys-indian-mot...

After weeks of speculation and although Indian Motorcycle refused again to confirm my information last week, it’s now official. Polaris has bought Indian Motorcycle. Having met personally with Indian’s Chairman Stephen Julius in 2006 before the official launch of the new Indian Chief, I knew that his objective, like he did with his other ventures, was to resell the company after it became profitable. This afternoon at 5 pm, Polaris faxed to all its dealers to announce the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle Limited. I publish below the official statement.

Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle. The business was acquired from Indian Motorcycle Limited (“IML”), a company advised by Stellican Limited and Novator Partners LLP, U.K. Private Equity firms. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“We are excited to be part of the revitalization of a quintessentially American brand,” said Scott Wine, CEO of Polaris Industries Inc. “Indian built America’s first motorcycle. With our technology and vision, we are confident we will deliver the classic Indian motorcycle, enhanced by the quality and performance for which Polaris and Victory are known.”

With this acquisition, Polaris adds one of motorcycling’s legendary brands to its strong stable of Victory cruiser and touring bikes. Indian will operate as an autonomous business unit, building upon the potent combination of Polaris’ engineering acumen and innovative technology with Indian’s premium brand, iconic design and rich American heritage.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Polaris. Polaris will utilize its well-known strengths in engineering, manufacturing, and distribution to complete the mission we undertook upon re-launching the brand in 2006: harness the enormous potential of the Indian brand,” said Stephen Julius, chairman of Indian and managing director of Stellican. “Polaris is the most logical owner of Indian Motorcycle. Indian’s heritage brand will allow Polaris to aggressively compete across an expanded spectrum of the motorcycle market.”

Novator Partners LLP is a London based alternative investment firm founded and led by the investor Mr. Thor Bjorgolfsson. An avid motorcycle enthusiast, Mr. Bjorgolfsson said “After a troubled past, our goal was to bring the legendary Indian bikes back on the roads. The initial phase of that project is done and now our great partners at Polaris will carry on the work to realize the full potential of this classic American brand.”

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Polaris bought Indian
Reply #1 - 04/20/11 at 22:18:03

lost artist,it looks like you have the folks here confused with people who have any thoughts at all about the "Indian" motor cycle.
As for me the new model looks like an antique allready, or a gloryfied Harley.not impressed.
This reminds me about the British who had a great thing going for themselves , they were just resting on their laurels when up jumped the Japonese,and down the tubes went the brit bikes.
Although two have snuck back,of the two only one will survive "Triumph"  Norton will go back down the tubes ,all they did was to reintroduce the same old thing,just like Harley and Indian,
shame really. they all should have taken survay's to see what people want.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/11 at 12:29:15

I'm not a huge fan of Indian motorcycles myself, but I do like Victory motorcycles and Polaris owns Victory so I think it'll be interesting to see how they are marketed now

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 04/21/11 at 13:39:45

LostArtist wrote on 04/21/11 at 12:29:15:
I'm not a huge fan of Indian motorcycles myself, but I do like Victory motorcycles and Polaris owns Victory so I think it'll be interesting to see how they are marketed now

+1

I feel much the same, the Victory bikes look/sound/perform very well and I think that this new ownership has the potential to put some modern engineering back into the Indian brand.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 19:58:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Polaris bought Indian

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.