Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here, considering new Savagei (Read 107 times)
Suitcase Jefferson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New here, considering new Savagei
04/17/11 at 22:01:32

Hi, my name is Jerry, I just joined. I have a chance to buy a brand new 2010 S40 for $4299 OTD, with enough money left to get the sissy bar/luggage rack and some saddlebags. My current bike is a '93 Vulcan 750 bought new with 87,000 miles on it, and is on it's last legs. Compression is still good, but the cam chains (all four of them) are badly worn, and the adjusters have already been shimmed. So I need a new bike, but can no longer afford a bike of that size/type. I don't want to buy used, and I have always liked the LS650/S40. I am 6' 200 pounds, so it might seem I am too big for this bike, but have sat on several, and took one for a test ride, and I seem to fit fine. This is the only cruiser of it's size for anywhere near the price, and I love it's simplicity. I am an auto mechanic, and can work on bikes, but the Vulcan is so complex it would cost as much as a new Savage to rebuild.

This would be an automatic decision, but everywhere I go, people keep telling me about all the mechanical issues the Savage has, especially the cam chain. So I thought I would ask about it from people who know what they are talking about, actual owners. Would appreciate any and all opinions and advice. Thanks, Jerry.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New here, considering new Savagei
Reply #1 - 04/17/11 at 23:34:54

Cam chain is the weak link on this bike... it goes between 15 and 30k miles... Verslagen here has a fix for it that will forever prevent catastrophic failure....  You're a mechanic so it's not too bad.  Fix it once and you're safe from then on.
The other major flaw is the petcock.... Replace with a Yamaha 660 Raptor manual shut-off for $25.00 and this bike is bulletproof...
6",  200lbs makes you a little feller compared to some guys here...  No worries...
If you want a fun, peppy little squirt, with great personality, that gets 60mpg, has strong legs but not long legs, and is easy to work on and customize,... this is the bike...
If you want to cruise at 90+, two up, and never feel the need for more... you need a mega-cruiser...  
We love our bike... it's the most customizable, fun machine currently out there...

... and Pssst!... it's a secret!... so keep it under your hat.... We don't want the riffraff to know....
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/17/11 at 23:46:49

Well, there's only one cam chain and if you've had to work on it to get it to last 87k miles then the savage will be pretty similar.  The cam chain is an issue, but if taken care of, not a problem.  A lot of owners are afraid to turn a wrench on her so they dump it when the cam chain issue comes up on an unsuspecting newb.  Who never checks it dumping the valves into the piston.

The last car I worked on was a 68 vw bus, working on the savage is just like that.

Keep the maintenance up and it'll last a long time.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/18/11 at 03:17:50

There is another design flaw inspired failure. The clutch throwout lever needs a radius where the Big Load hits.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #4 - 04/18/11 at 10:07:23

Yep, get the S40. Keep the 750 Vulcan (I really wish I still had mine). Rebuild the Vulcan at your leisure. OK, that's my two cents. What ever you decide:Ride safe, far, and often.

IP Logged
S40Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/11 at 14:50:30

I'm 6'1" 188 lbs., and I'm perfectly happy with mine, but on the few occasions I've carried a passenger things have felt cramped.  No shortage of power for me up to 65+ mph.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here, considering new Savagei

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.