Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Earplugs while riding (Read 461 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Earplugs while riding
04/16/11 at 12:48:22

I have recently seen the thread asking how the S40 handles at highway speeds.  My 1999 Savage holds its own but I wonder how many riders use foam earplugs under their helmet to reduce the wind stress coming through helmets.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Earplugs while riding
Reply #1 - 04/16/11 at 12:53:33

Windshield works wonders at higher speeds.  

I'm no longer in the mind set to be hanging on to things at near hurricane force winds.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #2 - 04/16/11 at 13:03:49

I have worn earplugs with my full face helmets since I started back riding about 10 yrs ago. Can't afford more hearing loss than has already occurred from not wearing protection.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/16/11 at 13:08:25

Do you use simple foam plugs or something more hi tech?

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #4 - 04/16/11 at 13:18:02

Foam plugs have worked fine. The ribbed silicone models become uncomfortable to me after a long time. I have considered the custom silicone plugs you can get at gun or bike shows, but don't want to shell out the $ since I would probably lose them. Tongue

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 04/16/11 at 15:06:28

I'm with Driller.  I have started using earplugs when I ride and can tell a real difference.  I have lost too much of my hearing already and I am constantly telling the whipper snappers around me to wear protection when they are mowing, shooting, etc.  I don't like the foam plugs, the ribbed silicone ones work better for me, but they are not all created equal.  The ones from Tractor Supply seem to fit my ears the best.

Someone commented on not being able to hear as well while riding and my buddy commented, "Why, it is not like anyone is going to blow their horn at you." Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/16/11 at 15:57:20

I have been wearing foam ear plugs for  about eight years. My FFH gets real noisey at 60+mph.  My hearing is already shot thanks to hitting rock concerts in the 70's, target shooting with no protection and being the pit crew for a buddy's dirt tracker late model for a couple of years. Anytime I fly I'll carry a pair. I had a flight on a turboprop with a wing seat that almost made my ears bleed because of the noise.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 04/16/11 at 16:02:30

I used to wear them then I bought a Draxtar P-104 helmet from Germany. It was originally designed for tank crew, modified for motorcycle use, and has headphone-like ear cups in it, and is VERY quiet. Someone standing in front of you has to yell loudly for you to hear them. BTW, as a teacher I am very concerned about how kids are literally deafening themselves with I-pods and the like, so I have a lesson I teach where I measure the sound pressure levels (SPL's) that they listen at with an SPL meter and tell them how fast they are going deaf. The AVERAGE level they listen at is 106 db, which is safe for 15 min per day. I have a little presentation which describes what happens to the inner ear at loud levels, and audio samples that demonstrate what how your hearing is affected at 25, 50, and 75% hearing loss. A few have actually turned them down to safe levels (which I also demonstrate). When called upon to do dance supervision, which thankfully happens only a couple of times per year, I wear earplugs and  safety  headphones, as I have measured DJs and live bands at 120-130 db, which is jet engine territory! Shocked

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #8 - 04/16/11 at 16:38:55

I wear a full-face helmet. I've read that typical noise level inside such a helmet is 110dB at 65mph. Sustained noise at this level will definitely result in hearing damage and permanent loss.

I use Hearos blue foam earplugs with a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33dB. They are comfortable enough over several hours. A small dab of petroleum jelly inside the ear canal helps to set the plugs for me. I have no problem noticing other traffic noises like horns, sirens, etc.

When I was a kid I rode with an open-face Bell helmet on a naked bike and no ear plugs. I was not bothered by noise. With a full-face Shoei it's a different matter.

« Last Edit: 04/17/11 at 10:41:12 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 04/16/11 at 17:10:21

I didn't see it mentioned, but you will not feel as tired after a long ride if you use ear plugs. Engine and wind noise drag you down after a while.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #10 - 04/16/11 at 17:34:05

noise cancelling headphones. and no i dont blast my music. besides, what can you really hear at highway speeds anyway? just a cheap mp3 player and some inexpensive in ear buds like those from skull candy.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 04/16/11 at 20:18:55

Am I the first to say I'd quit riding first ?
Maybe its my cheepo $50 helmet,
Maybe its my larger fairing type (slip streamers)
The noise I get while riding is not going to hurt my hearing, trust me.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 04/16/11 at 20:40:47

Back a couple of years ago when I was a practicing Audiologist, used to sell the Musicians custom made ear plugs by Westone..cost @$100.  and you could get a variety of dB reductions ....but for most people, the foam plugs will take off 15-20 dB which combined with the short rides most take, should do the job okay.  It gets a bit more complex if you want to get fit with custom ear plugs to receive music/telephone from your electronic goodies and still try to protect your ears from wind noise.

Oddly enough, you have to go to a gun shop or equipment store to find ear plugs....of course cigaret filters will stand in (I recommend unlit) Grin

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/16/11 at 21:00:51

ear plugs just may get you killed!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/16/11 at 23:42:32

Ive enjoyed many miles of driving standard trans vans/trucks with no radio. Well, I had a CB in the van,, Ive a radio in the pickup, but Id rather listen to the engine,,Generally, the thots in my head keep me plenty well occupied.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 14:11:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Earplugs while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.