Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S50 any thoughts welcome (Read 637 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: S50 any thoughts welcome
Reply #30 - 05/06/11 at 11:24:32

WD,

reading your other post in the other thread about apes, I now understand you have a very very customized to size Savage.

and I totally understand your frustration at the double carb set up on the S-50/intruder.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 05/06/11 at 16:00:52

Cush is short for cushioned drive, the "differential" if you will on shaft drive bikes. They work fine unless you have a leaker, when they run out of oil they tend to lock up. My 51 BMW locked its drive up at 50 mph, shaft broke, drive unit shattered, rear of transmission explode, which tore the frame in half. Not much a concern with newer bikes, much better metallurgy.

Lisa's bike runs a couple ounces of white lithium marine grade grease along with the gear oil. Much smoother, but not great for seals. Since her's has leaked since day one it shouldn't be a problem.

LA, some here over the years have thought I'm kinda strange, my first motorcycle was a 1936 HD Knucklehead chopper with apes and a foot clutch handshift (stock). And I always build my bikes for max performance, I had a 45 cubic inch (750cc) flathead Indian (Scout) that could just touch mid-90s mph. My Scout Jr (30.50 cubic inches)  could just touch 60 mph.

My Savage isn't THAT modded, high bars, cut down seat, taller shocks, thicker fork oil. The rest is just cosmetic (fender, gas tank, exhaust) or mild hop-up stuff (airbox mods, exhaust mods, rejetted, full tire pressure). Haven't touched the frame yet.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #32 - 05/10/11 at 15:53:29

Rear shot of Lisa's bike with the stock shocks from my LS650. Drops the rear a good 4 inches. A bit more user friendly for the inseam challenged. I got tired of her boot tearing up the passenger seat/backrest covers... My Savage needed more ground clearance...

It is a two person swap if you want to lower one. Intruder has a very heavy back end compared to a Savage.

Take speed bumps slow or battery box will drag.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #33 - 05/10/11 at 17:09:03

PerrydaSavage wrote on 04/23/11 at 01:28:48:
Yes mick, I still have my current '07 EX250-H ... which has yet to see the Road this year due to combination of continuing cold/snowy weather up here ... and a kaput battery Sad

Looking foward to trying the 'lil Ninja out though! Cool Have to confess however that I deeply regret having sold my '05 S40 last spring, but in my defense, I wasn't exactly in a good "head space" last year when I made that decision ... Roll Eyes

don't you have a battery tender ?  Once you get out on that ninja you think you have died and gone to heaven.Expect great things.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 05/10/11 at 20:06:33

No kidding, the 250 "Ninjette" is one heck of a nice handling machine. With the right sized rider they can give the litre bikes a good run in the twisties. The 250 is better balanced.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #35 - 05/11/11 at 11:08:06

Hope no one thinks that I am hijacking this Topic ... but have resolved the battery issues with my '07 EX250-H and have been out for a few scoots the past few weeks when the cold, wet Spring we're having relinquishes for the occassional hour or so! Yes mick my friend, I do have a Tender, but the batt that came with the Bike was toast ... and the brandy-new replacement was a dud also! Shocked ... brought that back, got another and Bike fired right up ... after I cleaned the plugs that had fouled from the previous attempts at starting! LOL!! Anyhoo, the wee pre-gen Ninjette is a fun Ride ... but my wrists, elbows and lower back are telling me that I may have to go back to another LS650 eventually ...
WD ... it sure is great to see you back on the Forms again pal! I think of you every time I wear my "Bent Bike" t-shirt! How're things since you moved from the Left Coast?

Back on topic ... the VS800/S50/Intruder could be a great Bike if only it did not have some of those "design quirks" that were engineered (and I use that word loosely) into it ... and if it had a more Sportster-like character similar to the LS650 ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #36 - 05/11/11 at 19:29:12

Better by a long shot. I'm actually motivated to finish restomodding the Savage. And the color matched 72 Super Beetle is still here. So Pokey, Pukey (the Bug makes people gag, Kubota type 2 orange) and my 49 Dodge truck will be triplets. Cub Cadet Beige and pumpkin orange (aka Kubota orange, type 1, not as retina burning).

And I'm back in a civilized part of the country.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:54:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › S50 any thoughts welcome

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.