Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds? (Read 875 times)
larrydavidbestdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?
04/13/11 at 02:36:33

I am a noob to motorcycles. I'm taking my msf course within a month and looking to get a bike for daily commuting. Will the s40 really hold up on highway speeds? I live where people cruise at 70.

I'm sure this has been a f.a.q. BUT there's a offer that's hard to refuse at a local shop and the salesman says it's not good for the highway and I just don't wan't to believe him.

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Re: Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 02:57:35

Best Dude
I ride my bike about 12000 to 15000 a year. I ride to and from work,when the weather permits, every day at 65 t0 70 mph. Just keep the bike tuned up and the oil change regularly and I see no reason why it should not workout for you.  This site has some great upgrades to help you and your bike enjoy each other. Good luck

IP Logged
buffyporson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/13/11 at 04:57:57

I use my '88 Savage to commute 25 miles to work on I-95 in FL. Cruises at 65-70 mph with no problems. Lousy gas mileage at that speed though - only 40-45 mpg.

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #3 - 04/13/11 at 05:18:55

12 mile run down the interstate to work. 65-70 most days, some days 75-80.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/13/11 at 05:27:14

larrydavidbestdude wrote on 04/13/11 at 02:36:33:
I am a noob to motorcycles. I'm taking my msf course within a month and looking to get a bike for daily commuting. Will the s40 really hold up on highway speeds? I live where people cruise at 70.

I'm sure this has been a f.a.q. BUT there's a offer that's hard to refuse at a local shop and the salesman says it's not good for the highway and I just don't wan't to believe him.

Because of the low gearing, Light weight its not what I would call a freeway cruiser.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/13/11 at 05:55:41

I don't get on a freeway often, but when I do I feel like I'm pushing it a bit hard at 70.  A taller gear would only make it work harder.
More hp and a taller gear would work.
For me, it is perfect at 60-65,.........and where I mostly ride, 50 is even better.
And yes, mine will do 85+ just like all stockers will.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/13/11 at 06:05:33

I had a Suzuki GR 650 geared a 1000 rpm less than stock and had no problems with it for over 28000 miles,S40 has the power to be geared higher.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 04/13/11 at 06:11:54

She can reliably do 75 any time you want. I find that above 85 she tends to feel like she is floating off the road a bit.

I'd say that anything under a 30 minute ride on the highway is more than comfortable. anything over an hour will make your rear end hurt; she doesn't have the greatest seat, but she'll get you there just fine.

I never trust salesmen. They always seem to deliberately lie or just don't know what they are talking about. If he tries to get you to buy a bigger more expensive bike, give him the finger and don't listen, the savage/s40 is a perfect commuter bike that'll handle pretty much any (legal) speed with ease.

If you aren't convinced, just take her out for a test drive! you don't need that much road on these bikes to get up to 70.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/13/11 at 07:02:12

I commute to work too and I must admit that although I love my Savage I take the back roads home, I try not to get on highways, I just seem to enjoy twists better. Altough I push mine over 70 from time to time I dont really like it at that speed. I guess me and my Savage are happy cruising at 45-50, it sounds better too.

IP Logged
freewind rider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Latvia, Riga
Reply #9 - 04/13/11 at 07:10:57

Suzuki Ls 650 feels underpowered for highway speeds. Yes, you can go up to 70 mph easy, but when you whant to go faster, it feels like you are pushing it to its limits. Main reason for this is chopper style riding position. Aerodynamic resistance is too big. From the salesman's point of view there are bikes, that performs better on highway speeds for the price equal of the Savage, and this is true.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 04/13/11 at 07:21:30

i'll add my 2 cents.

I'm sure it's not anybody's first choice for long highway cruising.  Stock gearing is definitely a little low - some have improved final gearing with a chain drive conversion. if you're riding to Yellowstone, get a Goldwing!

that being said - i have spent some time on the interstates at 70 without any problem - usually for 1/2 - 1hour or so at a stretch.

never saw a posted speed i couldn't break

i pass them, they don't pass me!  Cool

i guess i didn't really add anything to what's been said already ... summary- i'm happy with mine- not planning to "upgrade", planning to ride it until it wears out, replace the worn out parts, and keep on going!

(The Goldwing is a definite possibilty when i retire - if gasoline vehicles are still legal in 30 years!)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 04/13/11 at 07:29:04

if its a good deal, buy the bike!

I think that everyone here will tell you that this is a great bike to own. I have taken mine (only slightly modified from stock) on interstate trips as long as 3-4 hours at 75-80 MPH the whole way. The only times I get nervous or feel that I would like a bigger bike is when I pass a semi truck or get passed by another biker.  Wink

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 04/13/11 at 07:30:49

Not getting rid of mine either, love it but for long trips I use my car. When gas reaches the price of whiskey I stop riding and becoming an alcoholic.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #13 - 04/13/11 at 09:00:41

I have a Suzuki Marauder, and I am here for Aida's Savage.  My Marauder is more comfortable at 70+ than her Savage.  But on the back-roads at 65, there is no difference between them.  I have had hers up to 80 without feeling unduly stressed.  But mine is fine to over 90...  How fast do you want to go, and for how long?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 04/13/11 at 09:03:56

If you have a long commute on highways, I'm afraid you may want to look at Touring bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:20:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.