Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds? (Read 875 times)
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?
Reply #30 - 04/14/11 at 17:06:37

larrydavidbestdude wrote on 04/14/11 at 15:47:18:
i went to a local suzuki shop today and the salesman was trying to upsale me to a m50.

The m50 is a nice bike, but the Marauder (1997 - 2004) is better.  Lighter, and easier to mod.  Also, cheaper.  As to which is better?  I got both...

IP Logged
nigel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/16/11 at 05:14:39

I don't own one but from all that I have read I think a few simple modifications would make this bike meet any reasonable legal highway requirement
1) Change the rear tire to a 90 aspect ratio of the same size:  This increases the rear wheel diameter and therefore the final drive ratio so that it curuses at a slightly lower RPM
2) supertrap free flow exhaust or equivalent
3) K and N free flow air filter  (These two things together ad a little extra oomph to offset the loss of low end grunt by the higher final drive ratio in all gears with the tire change)
4) wind shield (air pressure on the trunk is a factor on any bike with upright seating)
5) Modified seat or airhawk cushion for longer rides to cut the vibration factor, thogh this will alread be partly soved by (1) rear tire mod  Nigel

IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 04/16/11 at 05:44:35

nigel wrote on 04/16/11 at 05:14:39:
I don't own one but from all that I have read I think a few simple modifications would make this bike meet any reasonable legal highway requirement
1) Change the rear tire to a 90 aspect ratio of the same size:  This increases the rear wheel diameter and therefore the final drive ratio so that it curuses at a slightly lower RPM
3) K and N free flow air filter  (These two things together ad a little extra oomph to offset the loss of low end grunt by the higher final drive ratio in all gears with the tire change)
4) wind shield (air pressure on the trunk is a factor on any bike with upright seating)
5) Modified seat or airhawk cushion for longer rides to cut the vibration factor, thogh this will alread be partly soved by (1) rear tire mod  Nigel

I've got a like-new 90 aspect ratio tire that I'll sell you.....well, except for the 2 surgical-like trenches around the shoulder of the tire where the pillion bolts rub when riding 2-up.  I'm installing the factory recommended 80 aspect ratio tire today.  BTW, the 90 aspect ratio tire only gave a 2 mph lift between radar and indicated.

"Strength over weakness, pride over humility, and knowledge over faith."
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 04/16/11 at 07:21:44

My first ride was a Cushman Highlander (Allstate version).  3hp, centrifugal clutch, no transmission.  Second bike was a Lambretta 150d that had 6hp and a three speed transmission.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  To me, THAT was a highway machine.  It really wasn't, top speed was maybe 45 or 50.  My first real motorcycle was a Ducati Monza 250.  That thing would keep up with the traffic, somewhat, on the freeways in CA in the 60's.  

The thought of anything with a 650cc motor would have seemed like a rocketship to me.  In this day and age of 2300cc triples (or my 140hp FJR1300), I guess a 650cc thumper seems kind of lame, but when I think back to the teen years for me, I can still relate to what a wonderful thing it is to have "so much power" in the Savage.

When we get the LS650s converted to RYCA CS-1s, it will be interesting to see what they are like on the highway.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #34 - 04/16/11 at 08:11:14

Fuzzy5150 wrote on 04/16/11 at 05:44:35:

I've got a like-new 90 aspect ratio tire that I'll sell you.....well, except for the 2 surgical-like trenches around the shoulder of the tire where the pillion bolts rub when riding 2-up.  I'm installing the factory recommended 80 aspect ratio tire today.  BTW, the 90 aspect ratio tire only gave a 2 mph lift between radar and indicated.

When I first got the bike, it had a worn down OEM IRC rear tire. It was bald down to almost showing the outer ply. It topped out at an indicated 95mph after performance mods and about a mile of full throttle. Then I put on a Dunlop K555 same size, and it hardly makes it to 91-92mph anymore. Funny thing is, that with the K555 the speedo is dead-on according to my GPS. I got an GPS app on my BlackBerry that records all kinds of parameters on a trip. I was surprised that the speedo was that accurate. In my car the speedo shows about 3mph faster than GPS. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 04/16/11 at 08:37:52

ralfyguy wrote on 04/16/11 at 08:11:14:
I got an GPS app on my BlackBerry that records all kinds of parameters on a trip. I was surprised that the speedo was that accurate. In my car the speedo shows about 3mph faster than GPS. Smiley

Which app is it?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 04/16/11 at 09:13:43

If you have ever experminted w/ hp, cu inches, engine mods, gear ratios etc etc, you will know that there is no substitute for cubic inches.
Anything less than a bigger piston,....or a longer stroke, is not going to make any worthwhile difference in the crusing range of the Savage/s40.
Acceleration thru a 1/4 mi,..... yep, any mods to intake exhaust etc etc can all make a little difference.
But you know a 350-500 cc that will out cruise the Savage 2 to 1 ??? Yes, if you can stand the sound of that little motor spinning at 12K rpm !
And a poll showed the mods to intake exhaust didn't do much over a stocker for top speed.

Fuzzy5150 wrote on 04/16/11 at 05:44:35:

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #37 - 04/16/11 at 09:21:19

I said it once and I'll say it again-a single cylinder is like riding a motorcycle, more cylinders is like driving a car with two wheels. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 04/16/11 at 09:56:39

Routy wrote on 04/16/11 at 09:13:43:
And a poll showed the mods to intake exhaust didn't do much over a stocker for top speed.

IMO the poll was too limited to explore the advantages to mods of intake and exhaust.  I can tell you that if you want 20% more, it's there to be had.  And up to 50% more can be had with other changes.  But it begins to follow the exploits of the worlds fastest Indian.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #39 - 04/16/11 at 12:11:03

verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/11 at 08:37:52:
ralfyguy wrote on 04/16/11 at 08:11:14:
I got an GPS app on my BlackBerry that records all kinds of parameters on a trip. I was surprised that the speedo was that accurate. In my car the speedo shows about 3mph faster than GPS. Smiley

Which app is it?

GPSLogger, it's free. Just Google it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #40 - 04/17/11 at 01:48:49

If you hav'nt made a decision yet, I'd like throw my 2 cents worth in. I've got an '08 Boulevard (Savage), with just shy of 23,000 miles on it. Like you, I live in DFW; and I commute to work on the freeways here. In the 30 some odd years I've been riding, I can't recall a bike I've enjoyed more, that has also been so easy to maintain. With a Clymers and this forum, there's just about nothing you can't do with this bike. Oh yes, it will also do highway for extended periods just fine as well. I've got a daughter going to Tech, a grandmother living in Temple; and inlaws in Longview. It'll do it all just fine.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:24:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.