Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds? (Read 875 times)
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?
Reply #15 - 04/13/11 at 09:38:14

Back when I commuted with my Savage I had a 45 mile one way commute.  The machine does just fine at 70, I kept it at 65 just to save a little gas. If your not going to be on the bike for more than an hour then IMHO the Savage is a perfect machine. Because I was traveling 90 miles a day my biggest gripe was that I had to buy gas every day, outside of that I really loved my Savage and sometimes I miss not having it. BTW, my GF just sold her Savage today to her brother and I will sorely miss hers as well. They are the easiest bike to learn how to ride, get 60+ m.p.g., and so simple to own, operate, insure, and maintain. We are now Savageless.  Sad   Good luck with your selection. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 04/13/11 at 10:40:56

I'm still trying to figure out how you "gearing techs" figure that any bike that goes just as fast in 4th gear as it does in 5th, sometimes even faster, can possibly gain from a taller gear.
As it is now, even 5th gear is worthless on any kind of a grade, or any head wind at all. But I'd guess you know something the factory engineers don't.
A taller gear would be fine w/ a tailwind, or on a down grade.

I know that you're all wanting to get those rpms down, but you'll pay a price somewhere to do it w/ limited horsepower.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
larrydavidbestdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/13/11 at 12:55:19

Thanks for all the replies it has really helped me in deciding  I WILL be getting a s40. I live in the dfw metroplex so an hour on the highway is the max i would be doing. I have been looking around on this forum for around an hour and it just seems you can do so much with this bike and i can't wait to start thumpin around town!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #18 - 04/13/11 at 12:59:42

Congrats, it's the easiest bike I ever had to work on and mod.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 04/13/11 at 13:11:56

Routy wrote on 04/13/11 at 10:40:56:
I'm still trying to figure out how you "gearing techs" figure that any bike that goes just as fast in 4th gear as it does in 5th, sometimes even faster, can possibly gain from a taller gear.
As it is now, even 5th gear is worthless on any kind of a grade, or any head wind at all. But I'd guess you know something the factory engineers don't.
A taller gear would be fine w/ a tailwind, or on a down grade.

I know that you're all wanting to get those rpms down, but you'll pay a price somewhere to do it w/ limited horsepower.

I doubt it would go faster,... but you could probably run at a lower RPM at 70+mph,...  unless you geared so high that it required a downshift to maintain speed...
I don't like going 70+mph for more than a minute or two anyway...
Feels like I'm sitting in a hurricane... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 04/13/11 at 13:32:49

Most bikes are geared to carry 2 people with one person it could easily be geared 500 rpm less,Look at all the cars today they are geared way higher than they were years ago,I'm not talking about a higher top speed just a more nicer rpm to cruise at.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 04/13/11 at 18:36:49

I rode 75 miles today. 4 lane-75, 2 lane 60, in town, patched up secondary roads, 1 mile of road construction, concrete 4 lane with snake patches. The only thing I don't like about the 650 is riding in crosswinds, which around here, is March. My bike feels comfortable up to 80 and above 80 for short runs. AND someone said mileage is terrible at 40+ mpg. Check the mileage and prices on the big name cruisers or your car. Parking, handling, and riding is easy, and the power to get out of traffic "Wads" is there when you need it. I was easy on mine at first, but I've found it's tough enough to ride as I like. The 100 mph speedo isn't just for looks. Good luck  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 04/13/11 at 18:59:36

Boofer wrote on 04/13/11 at 18:36:49:
I rode 75 miles today. 4 lane-75, 2 lane 60, in town, patched up secondary roads, 1 mile of road construction, concrete 4 lane with snake patches. The only thing I don't like about the 650 is riding in crosswinds, which around here, is March. My bike feels comfortable up to 80 and above 80 for short runs. AND someone said mileage is terrible at 40+ mpg. Check the mileage and prices on the big name cruisers or your car. Parking, handling, and riding is easy, and the power to get out of traffic "Wads" is there when you need it. I was easy on mine at first, but I've found it's tough enough to ride as I like. The 100 mph speedo isn't just for looks. Good luck  

+1 on this statement. This is kinda how I ride. I'm a little bit of a speed demon. I can't just do 75mph on the superslab. It always itches. I can do it for a while, and then I just get restless. When I ride with my buddy, which is most of the miles I put on the bike, we both get antsy every now and then and we just gotta let it out. There's often WOT bursts and then just going back to 75 for a while. He has a C50 and both bikes pull about the same. Then I do my occasional test runs to try out a different setting on the carb and such. I put a 150 main jet in and tested it yesterday. There is a stretch of highway with little traffic, dead flat and smooth. And almost never cop infested. 17 miles at 90+, and same on the way back. She runs like new with 15,000 miles. What a blast, that little bike  Smiley

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #23 - 04/13/11 at 22:02:27

Throwing in my hand full of change. As I have said in the past I Weigh 300 pounds. I did by the s40 for getting back and fourth to work, but I do a lot of long rides also. Ridding with friends we do a lot of back roads. but I also have done a ride to Portland and back down the I5 which is about 275 miles. The posted is 60 and 70 so not wanting a ticket I kept it to no more then 80.  Me a weeks worth of gear no problem. Well that is untill the ride home when it rained the entire way home.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/14/11 at 01:09:05

I ride the freeway every day about 30 minutes each way, usually at about 70mph. On a bike this light the crosswinds are an issue, but you learn to ride it. Hell, the light weight is part of what makes this little bike so much fun.
Bottom line here is that the bike will hold up long after your butt and back have had enough!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 04/14/11 at 06:49:20

bill67 wrote on 04/13/11 at 13:32:49:
Most bikes are geared to carry 2 people with one person it could easily be geared 500 rpm less,Look at all the cars today they are geared way higher than they were years ago,I'm not talking about a higher top speed just a more nicer rpm to cruise at.

Cruising at what speed ?
I will conceed that at 50-55 mph, flat ground, no headwind, I mite would use a slightly  taller gear. But anything much above that, the gear is plenty tall. It just doesn't have enough hp to pull a taller gear at 70 mph ! The factory engineers don't like motors coming back on warranty w/ melted pistons and sucked valves because of riding 95% of full throttle for an hour or 3. Many of us have the feel of when to drop a gear to save a meltdown, but many don't.

Cars have automatic transmissions that will drop a gear long before meltdown,.....therefore higher gears.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/14/11 at 07:55:06

I picked up a 2007 S40, with 2,400 miles on it.  My primary goal was to get a good starter bike, as I had not ridden seriously since 1989.

I have a 70 mile round trip commute daily, most on a nice divided road with a 65 mph speed limit.

The bike does very well at 60 - 65 mph, but is close to my comfort level as far as max. rpm.  I have done short bursts of 70 mph, but that is definitely more rpm than what I would want to sustain.

(Edit: BTW, took the white spacer down to 2mm, and put in a 150 main jet, so getting plenty of fuel.)

I am averaging 46 mpg for the 600 miles that I have run so far commuting.  I would like more, but can live with that, as our spring weather has been fairly windy, and have had to buck a lot of wind.  Also, I installed a Plexifairing 3, which catches a bunch of wind.

On May 11th, I'll be riding home to Montana.  I have chosen a route that is mostly secondary roads, which will be 60 - 65 mph limit.  It is 970 miles one way.  I'll sure as hell have a lot more to share when that little adventure is over.

I'll be passing through Sturgis.....hope to see the ghosts of knuckleheads past  Grin

« Last Edit: 04/14/11 at 14:25:25 by Fuzzy5150 »  

"Strength over weakness, pride over humility, and knowledge over faith."
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 04/14/11 at 08:27:54

Routy wrote on 04/14/11 at 06:49:20:
bill67 wrote on 04/13/11 at 13:32:49:

Cruising at what speed ?
I will conceed that at 50-55 mph, flat ground, no headwind, I mite would use a slightly  taller gear. But anything much above that, the gear is plenty tall. It just doesn't have enough hp to pull a taller gear at 70 mph ! The factory engineers don't like motors coming back on warranty w/ melted pistons and sucked valves because of riding 95% of full throttle for an hour or 3. Many of us have the feel of when to drop a gear to save a meltdown, but many don't.

Cars have automatic transmissions that will drop a gear long before meltdown,.....therefore higher gears.

Routy put in a larger high speed jet you will be surprised how much more power you will have at higher speeds.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
larrydavidbestdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/14/11 at 15:47:18

i went to a local suzuki shop today and the salesman was trying to upsale me to a m50.

im very ignorant to motorcycles and he was very convincing but then again he is a salesman.

any thoughts?

P.S. yall have pretty much sold me on a s40 but im still trying to have an open mind on other bikes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 04/14/11 at 16:20:52

What's your intent Larry?
For your 1st bike, you can't get better.
if you intend to ride for less than an hour at any speed then park it, you can't get better.
If you intend to learn how to repair it, you can't get better.
if you're gonna take long ride 1 a week, it's ok but the '50' would be better.
If you're gonna ride double, the '50' would be better.
The best support group is right here, but I may be a little biased.   Roll Eyes
The '50' support group is said to be good too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will the s40 hold up on highway speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.