Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need help  engine quits while riding (Read 163 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: need help  engine quits while riding
Reply #15 - 04/10/11 at 07:38:01

TheSnakeLady- interesting observation.....might be a good topic for a poll.  I have always used 87 but then they have increased ethy-not that a great aroma either. Wink

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 04/10/11 at 07:42:45

TheSnakeLady wrote on 04/10/11 at 05:26:39:
What octane of fuel did you put in?  My 05 does the same thing if I put 87 in it.  It just blatently won't run on it because of the 10% ethenol.  I recommend 91 octane.

If you have a Savage-S-40 that won't run on 87 octane, you have a serious problem. But all IMO.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 04/10/11 at 12:10:45

I've run my '02 on stale 2 stroke fuel a few times just to use it up. Dumped 1/2 a gallon in with 1 gallon of 87 octane. Can't say the bike liked it but it burned it smelling like a out of tune chainsaw. Maybe I'll try diesel next time. Try running the bike with the petc0ck in prime, if that's not it check the gas cap, it has a vent in it somewhere that can get plugged up and cause a vapor lock.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
truckinrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gulfcoast, ms
Reply #18 - 04/10/11 at 13:04:14

Has ANY electrical work been done recently? I had a similar problem i was going down road fine fresh tank of gas and bike quit running. I got it to side of road wouldn't crank up thought well it got hot and quit on me. I waited a few min started rght up got ON bike and died!! Called Mike at Suzuki city in Biloxi they came to pick me&bike up they found a loose wire harness not connected properly only had bike for a month. No charge and on my way again.

IP Logged
judgemos
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgecrest,CA
Reply #19 - 04/10/11 at 16:23:45

thank you for your ideas.  I went through and pulled the petcock out checked for blockage and replaced it.  Going to order a raptor one just to make life easier.  Pulled the carb off, checked the float bowl and everything looked good.  Went for a ride after everything was back together and it ran fine. So i think the bike just wanted some attention.  
Thanks again

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 04/10/11 at 17:55:53

I just put a Raptor petc0ck on my '02. It took me longer to find a screw in my junk box for the carb vacumn line than it did to swap the petc0ck out.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need help  engine quits while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.