Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil smoke at startup (sometimes) (Read 46 times)
azhyway
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil smoke at startup (sometimes)
04/10/11 at 11:26:32

I bought a 2007 S-40 with 6200 miles on it. I now have 7350 miles and sometimes when I start it I get blue (oil) smoke. Sometimes it dosn't smoke at all, sometimes just a short time (5-10 secounds) and sometimes longer (30-40 sec.). When it first happened I thought it must be valve guide seals as after start up the smoke goes away and it runs great, no smoke. I'm not very mechanical and don't understand why it dosn't do it all the time. Anyone have any idea what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it?

IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Re: Oil smoke at startup (sometimes)
Reply #1 - 04/10/11 at 11:53:18

You might want to check the oil level.  Too much oil in the crankcase will cause that.  If it's high and you haven't recently changed or added oil you may have a petcock or sticking float valve not working properly allowing gas to run into the cylinder and into the crankcase.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Oil smoke at startup (sometimes)
Reply #2 - 04/10/11 at 12:03:39

I have that same phenomenon on my '06 as well. And that since about three years. It does it more often, the cooler it is outside. But not always the rule. I haven't seen it do it since a month and a half now. But then it did it three days in a row. I still have no idea why. Can't be anything serious, even if it looks bad, because I haven't noticed any changes in performance or oil consumption over the years. I just ignore it. At first it scared me, but oil consumption is very minimal for a one-banger, and I actually ride - lets say strong right handed. Wink
Last night I rode with my wife on the back, and it was pretty windy and still got 47mpg, despite letting it fly pretty good. And the bike reached 15,000 miles last night. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil smoke at startup (sometimes)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.