Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A couple bobber questions... (Read 190 times)
metalguitarist37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A couple bobber questions...
04/06/11 at 02:36:16

So I've been kicking around the idea of pulling the tarp off of my old savage and making a nice bobber project out of it. Found some inspiration online and I think I'm definitely gonna go with a peanut tank, springer seat, and of course a bobbed rear fender. I also want to make it a hardtail. I've been reading up on the blue collar bobber kits for the savage and like everything but the skinny fender and the stock shocks. So, my question is: has anyone tried using hard tail struts with one of these kits? I'd really like to see how it looks. My next question is: what's the best way to go about mounting a peanut tank? I'm not really a welder but I think I could either find someone or learn on my father in laws cracker box if I had to. I figure I'll probly need at least one custom bracket in the back to make it work. And I've seen a few bikes with a right side petcock on these tanks but I'm not sure if that's just the tank they got or if there's not enough clearance for one on the left.  Any tips or tricks are more than welcome seeing as how I'm new to the whole custom stuff.  I'm hoping to at least accumulating parts here pretty soon.

IP Logged
Fujisawa Rob

We got the thump!

Fort White, FL
Re: A couple bobber questions...
Reply #1 - 04/06/11 at 07:22:43

My personal opinion is that "strut" hardtails look not so good. I think the Savage looks better as a softtail, retaining the factory shocks. If you're going to do a hardtail, I'd hack the frame. My $0.02.

This is one of my favorite softtails I've found. It probably belongs to someone on this board:
http://bikepics.com/members/strangeling67/07savage/

86 Savage LS650 (no name yet Wink ) - new commuter- odo claims 14k
89 Isuzu Trooper V6 "Beniko" - spun bearing at 233k
89 Lincoln Town Car "Lucretia" - foul weather ride - 133k
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 04/06/11 at 07:37:39

The previous owner of my bike had hardtail struts on it and it was hacked into a bobber. I switched it back to more or less stock, mini-bagger instead and prefer the ride much more.

The struts he used were about 9" eye-to-eye and about 1/2" steel:

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
metalguitarist37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/06/11 at 12:09:32

Rob I would usually agree with you on the struts but I guess I'm just really not a fan of having a springer seat AND shocks. I'm going for as old school as possible without getting too crazy. Plus I'm wanting to strip it down as light as possible to give it the true bobbed look. And as far as my ride goes I figure it'll just be something to play around town on. I have an 800 marauder that I use for big trips but lately I haven't had much time to ride other than around town and a few backroads anyway. Here's a link to what I'm aiming for

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2011%5C04%5C06%5Cbikepics-2182905-full.jpg

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 04/06/11 at 12:32:34

That's a good looking bobber, and I think I remember seeing it on ebay a while back.

Pretty straight forward bob, new bars, peanut tank, solo seat, trailer fender, struts, header wrap & paint. He also added a dummy oil bag to hide all the electronics and looks like he kept the original exhaust but cutoff the back of it.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Fujisawa Rob

We got the thump!

Fort White, FL
Reply #5 - 04/06/11 at 14:18:58

metalguitarist37 wrote on 04/06/11 at 12:09:32:
Rob I would usually agree with you on the struts but I guess I'm just really not a fan of having a springer seat AND shocks.

True..that would probably look weird. I like the solo seat in that link I sent. I'm not 100% on the plate covering the innards, but it's probably the only way to go if the factory seat mounts are retained.

IP Logged
Fujisawa Rob

We got the thump!

Fort White, FL
Reply #6 - 04/06/11 at 14:20:40

I'd like to bob mine, and I have no intention of carrying passengers until I'm more experienced. I know the 'look' normally includes removing the front fender, but I don't want to get splashed or hit with rocks - this is my commuter, or will be soon. I'd have to see how it looks with the fender on it.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #7 - 04/06/11 at 14:21:40

you can always trim the fender... still gives you some protection and looks good too!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
metalguitarist37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/06/11 at 20:36:53

Chopped I've thought of that but I'm not sure I'd be able to do it right. I'm kinda limited on my power tools at the moment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A couple bobber questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.