Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rain stops play (Read 96 times)
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rain stops play
04/06/11 at 13:48:42

My wife was out on her bike at the weekend and it hammered down with rain (does that a lot  in the UK) Well her bike stopped. After 5 minutes it started again. Im thinking water got down the tube where the spark plug is and was shorting the plug but would welcome other Ideas. Is this a common problem for the savage?
Cheers

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Rain stops play
Reply #1 - 04/06/11 at 16:52:12

Has been an intermittent problems with some bikes since I got mine in 98 and started pursing these web sites. No real answers that I remember, I think it is related to carb icing, no not the fuel freezing, the pressure/temperature drop in the carb venturi lets the moisture in the air freeze on the carb metal and slowly closes off the air and fuel passages, Once stopped it melts away and you are good to go. I've had an 54 Mercury in college that did it and an 81 Plymouth K-Car that would do it in a 35 degree or so snow fall. It even had a carb heat tube and lots of heat from a catalytic converter nearby and did it on me more than once. Pilots can tell you lots more about it as they enrich the fuel mixture on take off and landing or add carb heat and some planes are fitted with electric or bladder deicers for the leading edge of the wings. Wing icing (same as carb icing) is a short path to an unplanned landing in undesirable places, very often fatal in Alaska where I was born and raised. Lots of previously good airplanes scattered around the AK wilderness. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/06/11 at 17:44:22

1st thing to try is the petcock, put 'er in prime.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/06/11 at 20:50:32

Ive been caught in a long, hard downpour that caused me to feel every time the plug fired when I put feet down at a red light & it kept running. But I was afraid it was gonna shut off any time..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 04/06/11 at 21:09:18

If I leave my bike out during the rain, and it gets to around freezing temps soon after, I notice that my bike won't start.  I think the water seeps into the engine cut off switch, and the bike won't register that the engine switch is turned to "ON".  I hear nothing, no engine turning over.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 04/07/11 at 05:49:11

if it's a short -  i'd suspect one of the cut of switches more than the sparkplug shorting out

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rain stops play

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.