Front brake squeal (Read 80 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Front brake squeal
03/31/11 at 19:22:08

I noticed today there was NO play-slack-clearance at my front brake lever. So I pulled it off & started checking for dirt or corrosion that could be making it that way..... I couldn't find anything wrong, so I decided to file away where the stop 'tab' hit the master cylinder. I stopped when I had just a few thousandths clearance before the lever touching the plunger & went for a ride. Smiley
After a few blocks of stops & starts, the squeal- squeak went away. Grin Another plus is the bike is much easier to roll backwards now. Apparently the contact from the lever was creating drag by not quite releasing the m/c plunger all the way. Angry

I'd be willing to bet this contributes to the relatively short life of front brake pads on these bikes. I would highly recommend checking to see if yours has this same issue. Cool

Hope this helps someone else!!!

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front brake squeal
Reply #1 - 03/31/11 at 21:35:31

The master cylinder is designed to refill upon every release of the lever.
Unless the contact point of the lever is so long that it prevents the plunger from achieving full travel, thus shortening the release of the caliper.

It's worth a try, but I think you be at the same squeaky spot as you started within a couple of days.  Let us know of your long term results.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Front brake squeal
Reply #2 - 04/01/11 at 21:59:06

I managed to put about 20 miles on Grizzly (my Savage) today & I could tell the difference when I backed down the ramp out of my shed. Bike rolls much easier now. Smiley The squeak it made at low speeds is gone!!! It may come back later but for now it no longer squeals when braking either.... Shocked

The lever was making enough contact to NOT allow the m/c plunger to come out against its' stop, thus holding a tiny amount of pressure to the caliper. Angry My V-Star has an adjustment screw on the brake lever so you can adjust the clearance between lever & plunger. That's what gave me the idea to check the clearance.

If your bike is hard to roll backwards or feels like the front brake is dragging, CHECK for clearance............It can't hurt! Wink

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.