mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Farthest road trip?
Reply #15 - 03/31/11 at 04:54:40

Hello DV8, here's my little contribution:

Savage is an old school bike: single cylinder, air cooled, big displacement, low revs.

That means GRUNT and torque more than pure HP in the red line.

My bike is a 1988 4-speed, and my favorite touring speed is 50-55mph on 2-laners, 60-65 max on 4-laners.
Any speed higher than 65 or 70 will have the big single revving too high for comfort and fuel economy.

Overheating is not an issue unless you want to scream your way up Pike's Peak  Grin so don't worry about that.

Monkey Butt is a problem to some, a non-issue to others. In a previous life I rode a Moto Guzzi cafe` racer and THAT was old school monkey butt, a flat slab of plastic with a half inch of foam rubber, and thay called it a seat !  Lips Sealed

Not so with the Savage.

For maximum pleasure and comfort, may I suggest you plan your route along the country 2-laners, travel at a steady lope (canter) of 50-65, depending on how you "feel" the bike to like its own gait.

You'll soon discover that your bike (each bike) has its own individual ideal cruising speed, depending on a number of factors: carburation, weight and size of rider, shape of handlebars, road and wind conditions, and baggage carried. That's why I say "anything between 50 and 65.
Once I was cruising at 40mph and it felt like heaven... other times I was doing 70 and she was aching for more... Cool

Also, 55-60 is quite possibly the ideal speed for fuel efficiency, you should be able to get aronud 100-120miles on a full tank easy-peasy.

My last piece of advice, carry a few tools of the kind you can use, one spare spark plug and socket, and a can of Fix-a-Flat in your tool roll.
No use carrying what you can't use or don't know how to replace.

No giddyap and ride !  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #16 - 03/31/11 at 05:20:22

+1 on what Maurizio says. My favorite way to tour.
V50 Monza=serious Monkey Butt.
Ciao!

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
truckinrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gulfcoast, ms
Reply #17 - 03/31/11 at 16:18:24

Paladin I live close to Biloxi in case you run into mech. trouble while down here you have help close by. So far wife and I just cruise close-by 30-45 mles one way, I have been longer on solo rides.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:29:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Farthest road trip?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.