Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advice re: part out / repair (Read 271 times)
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Advice part out / repair
Reply #15 - 05/14/11 at 15:42:06

Update: Just got the 2001 Savage back two days ago from an independent mechanic who came highly recommended. Repairs were about $300 less than the quote from the dealership. Seems that there was some misdiagnosis by the dealership mechanics. Parts this time: cam and chain, rocker arm, and, of course gasket.  I sincerely hope that this will solve the issues.

As I visited the shop to check on the progress, it was interesting to see the other bikes that were brought to him that had previously been in dealership garages: partially disassembled and parts in boxes accpompanied by less than pleasant stories. Seems I am not the only one with, as a friend of mine says, "a war story."

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/14/11 at 17:24:19

did he tell you why you need a cam, chain and rocker arm? Did he provide you with your old parts? im still suspect that the underlying problem has been fixed. Sure the damage may be fixed, but what the hell caused it? the only incidents of damaged cams and rocker arms have been caused by oil starvation. Have you, a shop, or a previous owner done anything to the clutch taht you know of?

Hate to be paranoid but I wouldnt start riding it just yet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 05/14/11 at 18:00:08

Great freddie, anytime a mechanic goes into the top end it will be about $500 or more.  I think that mechanic is a keeper.

If the cam and rocker where worn out, most likely oil starvation.  A few ways for this to happen.  not enough oil in the case.  I've found mine down a qt. from time to time and after 40k miles no appreciable wear.  So you'd have to run it dry to get damage that way.  putting the oil pump drive gear on backwards and loosing all pressure when the gear disconnects from the clutch.  and obstructions in the oil path.  just as excessive rtv in the head cover.

If you get the parts back from the mechanic, take pictures and post.

Also, we can use the cam as a core to get it reprofiled.

WWW   IP Logged
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/15/11 at 07:14:22

He installed the Verslavy tensioner and was most impressed by the design. One aspect I liked about this mechanic is that he took the old parts, laid them out and explained why he replaced certain parts. He even added a demonstration of how the Verslavy tensioner worked benefitted the engine. Since he was taking his time, I did not interrupt him to say that a friend had already gone into a similar detailed explanation that convinced me to order one. I was so appreciative by his personal service and attention to detail that I just enjoyed the explanation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice re: part out / repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.