Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Car question (Read 66 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Car question
03/26/11 at 15:17:46

So my friend has a 1981 BMW 320 and every time the car is on the battery light will come on. Also, the car will not
Hold the charge for more than a day. The alternator was swap for a new one. Any suggestions?

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: Car question
Reply #1 - 03/26/11 at 18:03:18

test the alternator at auto zone . if it's good buy a new battery.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #2 - 03/26/11 at 18:44:26

first off, nice car. I love old bimmers; I got a '86 325 myself that i plan to drive until the wheels fall off, glue them back on, and drive it some more.  Grin
now, the battery light should mean that its not charging right or the battery is shot. i think auto zone or advanced auto can test both of those and charge the battery. thats a good place to start.
I also know that the e30s (like mine) have an issue where a single-shielded wire to the reverse lights runs past the shift linkage and can get worn through after time, causing a short. this drains the battery and just sucks in general.

so if its not the alternator, then it could either be a battery that won't hold a charge or a short. test for shorts by pulling the fuses and checking resistance across the circuits with an ohmmeter with the ignition off and the battery disconnected. some circuits should have a small leak current, like the clock and radio to maintain presets. but if his won't last a day, its probably a big leak or a crap battery.

best of luck!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/26/11 at 23:03:24

First things first. Make sure the belt is tight enough. Then check for battery drain with a simple test light. Unhook positive cable and put test light between cable and battery. If it lights without key turned on start looking for whatever is on all the time without permission.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/27/11 at 05:26:38

Volttage regulator could be the bad guy.

So many have internal V regs now,, still, if its ike the AC/Delco, its easy to replace. Id rather spend 15 on a regulator than 80 on an alternator.
Either one gos bad & itll wipe the battery out quick if ya dont find out whats up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #5 - 03/27/11 at 08:02:19

We will be working on it next week. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for the pointers.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/27/11 at 09:09:23

I hope yur battery is watered up & charged up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:44:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Car question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.