Send Topic Print
Batteryless Wiring... (Read 233 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Batteryless Wiring...
03/23/11 at 12:39:10

Anyone out there have an idea to wire a bike to run without a battery? I want to take mine off my harley and get rid of the starter if I can. I only run Brake/Tail and  a headlight on the bike. I know it can be done... I just want a good startinng point.

Keep the rubber side down yall!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Batteryless Wiring...
Reply #1 - 03/23/11 at 12:56:36

you have a kick start?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/23/11 at 13:01:12

take what off yer harley?
ignition?

assuming that can be done, run the engine up to some minimum speed to generate some power to fire it.

you'll need a manual decomp and switch out all other electrics.

happy pushing.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 03/23/11 at 16:55:47

Yes I have a kicker... its a 79 Harley XLCH. No decomp lever and I running stock ignition and points. Having said that... i am already running the minimal wiring possible. Had to redo it because of the idiot I bought it from had it all f#cked up!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/23/11 at 21:59:50

A magneto would help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 03/24/11 at 07:07:19

Google motorcycle battery eliminator.   Lots of dirt bike use them.    

Like the Savage's, it wouldn't work on my XLH1100.  They both need initial voltage to run the electronic ignition.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #6 - 03/24/11 at 09:10:12

I think I will be ok running it. Mine is a kicker and I believe it has a generater mounted on the rear of the case mounted just in front of the starter. Having said that. I should be able to just replace the battery with a battery eliminator and should be good right. It only makes sense. I don't need a magneto if my bike is already runninng with a generator right? Cause if I can get rid of my battery/starter/starter sylonoid, I will drop about 20lbs. The equivilant of my bike taking a good poo!

einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/24/11 at 12:38:18

Chopped wrote on 03/24/11 at 09:10:12:
I think I will be ok running it. Mine is a kicker and I believe it has a generater mounted on the rear of the case mounted just in front of the starter. Having said that. I should be able to just replace the battery with a battery eliminator and should be good right. It only makes sense. I don't need a magneto if my bike is already runninng with a generator right? Cause if I can get rid of my battery/starter/starter sylonoid, I will drop about 20lbs. The equivilant of my bike taking a good poo!

Get a Mighty Max or a big capacitor.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/24/11 at 12:44:01

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/24/11 at 07:07:19:
Google motorcycle battery eliminator.   Lots of dirt bike use them.    

Like the Savage's, it wouldn't work on my XLH1100.  They both need initial voltage to run the electronic ignition.  

Actually, all you have to do is change your ignition. I had a digital single fire ignition in my 75XLCH. Worked just fine because it was kick start compatible with a small amount of juice that my capacitor held. You can't use it on your XLH 1100 because it is an EVO, and EVOs don't have kick starts. Led Sled Customs has one for it, but its big $$$.

And my 75 was a 11-1 stroker with no compression release. Static compression was 210 psi hot, 240 psi cold....enough to cripple your kicking leg if you let it get too far out of tune!

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #9 - 03/24/11 at 12:58:02

Its done then... My next project is getting rid of the battery... only after i get the darn thing running again!

einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/24/11 at 13:41:09

Chopped wrote on 03/23/11 at 16:55:47:
Yes I have a kicker... its a 79 Harley XLCH. No decomp lever and I running stock ignition and points. Having said that... i am already running the minimal wiring possible. Had to redo it because of the idiot I bought it from had it all f#cked up!

How many wires are you running?? I have a neat set up and very simple.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #11 - 03/25/11 at 07:03:02

I have one hot and one ground. Everything goes through a fuse and power switch, then the lights have thier own fuse ans switch tied off of that. Simple relay with switch to the starter sylonoid. Im not sure I can get much simpler than that, but I am open to suggestions!

einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/25/11 at 14:32:08

For electric start

For kick only, with and with and without battery-just use a capacitor in place of the battery

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 03/25/11 at 18:08:15

If this is your wiring diagram...

Then I'd swap the coil lead off of the ign post of the switch for every thing that's on the acc post.  Taking the brake switch off of the coil and put it on the ign post too.  That's if this switch works like a cage ign switch where the acc post can be turned on before the ign post.  That way only the coil will be hot for starting.

WWW   IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/25/11 at 19:49:31

verslagen1 wrote on 03/25/11 at 18:08:15:
If this is your wiring diagram...
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/17932486/wiring06.jpg
Then I'd swap the coil lead off of the ign post of the switch for every thing that's on the acc post.  Taking the brake switch off of the coil and put it on the ign post too.  That's if this switch works like a cage ign switch where the acc post can be turned on before the ign post.  That way only the coil will be hot for starting.

Its on the coil lead because this set up gives you 2 'on' settings. One with lights, one without. I rewire all my bikes (battery delete) to run with no lights. Then when I need them, I just flip the switch to the next position while I'm on the road. This way, it gives you nothing but the ignition to power when you're kicking. It works better with points than with electronic ignition.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Batteryless Wiring...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.