Send Topic Print
Can't bump start (Read 139 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Can't bump start
03/23/11 at 20:12:39

I am 57 yrs old. I have bump started 4 strokes and 2 strokes, cars trucks, even cars with automatic transmissions in the old days. I have never been able to bump start my Savage unless it was running at least 45-50 and then only in fourth or fifth gear. (It was when I had trouble with the gas flow and it quit completely at speed. I hit prime and popped the clutch while still in motion) When I try to bump it any slower or in a lower gear it makes a whine like a jet turbine running up to working speed and sometimes locks up the rear wheel. I KNOW how to do this, including the timed bounce on the seat for traction. I did not use the starter button. I have no idea what I'm missing or the reason for this. It has been bumped a couple of times in the 2 yrs I have had it. Basically stock 2001 bought with 7400 miles. Now has 14,000+. Need input.   Sad  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can't bump start
Reply #1 - 03/23/11 at 20:29:40

It has to stop after the compression stroke for it to start easy by bumping.  If it locks up, it ain't gonna start.  push the button to get it turning, then let out the clutch whether it starts or not.

WWW   IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #2 - 03/23/11 at 20:35:16

I've tried it a few times and it always slid the tire.  Mine's an 86 and only has about 7500 miles on it.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/23/11 at 21:19:08

Thanks, Versy. I'll give it a try and try to let the compression release work first.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 03/24/11 at 07:00:43

I bumped mine several times , last time in the flat parking lot at work once when my wiring shorted out. Didnt have to press start, just ran alongside of it with clutch in 2nd, jumped on it, let the clutch go and give it gas. It worked with no effort everytime.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/11 at 15:32:23

i've never managed to bump start my bike. Never had to, but Ive tried a few times just for kicks. My buddy has had to bump his. He puts it in 3rd and does the usual routine, no starter button. He's good for 2 or 3 times in a day. After that he has me push  Sad

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 03/25/11 at 14:39:55

Guys, my right foot no longer works in both directions, only down, not up. I can barely push my bike, but for two years now it has only made a whining sound as described and locked rear wheel. I know it's crazy, and I have stopped on long hills and tried to bump it off with no luck. If I were ya'll I would think I was doing something wrong, too. Just don't know.    Embarrassed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/25/11 at 15:02:44

You can do it w/o pushing the button from a dead stop.
put it in gear and push it backward until you feel it come up against compression.
But don't do this if you have a pre'90 cause you'll engage the starter.

So the safe way for me to explain how to do it for any one is to push the button.  If you have the safeties still on your bike, then just let out the clutch.  the safety will deactivate the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't bump start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.