Send Topic Print
Replacing valve seals? (Read 324 times)
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Replacing valve seals?
03/22/11 at 07:45:30

Late last year I asked about my bike smoking at startup, after it warms up its fine, no smoke. Pretty much everyone said its probably the valve seals. Call me a bit OCD but I dont like it smoking, at all...
So... how hard of a job is it to replace the seals? I understand i would need a valve spring compressor to get the springs off but is there anyt other tools needed to actually remove the seals? I'm pretty mechanicly inclined, just need alittle feedback before I dig in...

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Replacing valve seals?
Reply #1 - 03/23/11 at 06:12:51

Full head teardown, special valve compressor tool is needed.

I'd wait until you had another reason to do a teardown -- and mind you another point -- I am not sure your smoking jest comes from just the drip or two from the valve stem.   Excess piston clearance seems to crop up around here with enough miles on the odo ....

It is a minor annoyance, wait until a more serious problem occurs

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #2 - 03/23/11 at 08:31:16

Its an 05 with 4600 miles..  and smokes pretty heavy at startup.

Darren

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/23/11 at 21:10:07

Big job, but if you can't stand it dive in. However, that may not be the trouble. However again,  Grin you will get to know a lot about your bike. I'm like most on here, but I'm disabled and plan on sitting my bike on my picnic table when I get that deep inside. I would never discourage someone from doing a hobby they love. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/24/11 at 02:27:38

Some facts for consideration - an '05 with less than 5,000 miles is still a virgin around here.  

There has been insufficient time and way too few (by a factor of 10) miles for seals to deteriorate, or rings to wear, etc etc.

I would consider questioning your initial ring break in as done by the previous owner.   Run the piss out of it using a 10w40 oil and see if the problem doesn't go away as things finally break in.

What weight and brand of oil are you currently using?   What oil did the previous owner use?

Betcha we got us another improperly broken in bike showing oddities again ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/24/11 at 03:47:30

Betcha we got us another improperly broken in bike showing oddities again ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If so, maybe not all bad Shocked

It has been said,....that any engine that uses some oil right from the get go, will last forver.......?? Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #6 - 03/24/11 at 04:47:45

I'm pretty sure at the last change I put in Castrol 4T 10w-40.  My girlfriend has a 03 with 3500 on it and not an ounce of smoke out of it at all. It smokes the worst at the first start of the day but still smokes quite a bit on previous starts during the day. Sad I'll try to do a youtube video tonight when i'm back in town.

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 03/24/11 at 17:59:56

Isn't that smoking first thing then cleaning up the classic description of oil seeping past rings, which makes oldfellows comment seem right on.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/24/11 at 19:24:35

Now this situation REALLY calls for Mr. Bill's Klotz synthetic oil -- originally developed as a smoke free synthetic two stroke oil, Klotz will drip, burn and NOT SMOKE you up while doing it .....

or so sez Bill, our resident Klotz expert

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/24/11 at 21:11:33

Doesn't this defy the laws of gravity ?

Trippah wrote on 03/24/11 at 17:59:56:
Isn't that smoking first thing then cleaning up the classic description of oil seeping past rings, which makes oldfellows comment seem right on.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/24/11 at 21:40:26

Well when we lit up the rex the bug destroyer a couple of summers ago, it smoked up the whole woods.  Them little hats do work and when you ain't got'm everyone downwind knows it.  This is cause the valve guides sit in a pool of oil and it's quite a bit deeper on the kickstand.

If they have split or raised up off there guides then more oil can seep by them.

WWW   IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #11 - 03/25/11 at 10:14:37

ok, if it is that the rings that are not broken in correctly is there a way to remedy that without an engine tear down?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 03/25/11 at 18:54:57

IN-S40 wrote on 03/24/11 at 04:47:45:
I'm pretty sure at the last change I put in Castrol 4T 10w-40.  My girlfriend has a 03 with 3500 on it and not an ounce of smoke out of it at all. It smokes the worst at the first start of the day but still smokes quite a bit on previous starts during the day. Sad I'll try to do a youtube video tonight when i'm back in town.

Darren
IN-S40

S40, I think I found your problem. It will be easier to get a girlfriend who can ignore the smoke or if you really love her, slip a little chainsaw oil in her gas tank when she isn't looking.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #13 - 03/25/11 at 21:48:45

LOL!! hey thats a good idea!!! really the smoke is more of an anoyance when we go riding with our friends... i have the bug fogger.

I did find something tonight that i wonder if it has anything to do with the smoke possibly. I had the head cover off because I didnt get a good enough seal and still had a small leak. After torking it down I went to check the valve lash, never checked it before... there was NO cleareance, none nada at all so I set them at 0.10 mid point acording to the service manual specs. Wonder if that was causing a problem?

Darren

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/26/11 at 00:23:48

you have the piston at TDC compression before you set them? You wouldnt be the first to get compression and exhaust mixed up. and you set them at .1 what? Also no, that wouldnt explain the smoke.

If it's the ring you might might might be able to run the hell out of it like oldfeller suggested.
I had the same deal going on before i got a bore job and it got really bad toward the end. Id start up to go home from work and get a big oily cloud. Id take it up to about 2k rpm almost immediately and keep it there until the smoke stopped. Took about 10 seconds. If i just let it idle it'd billow smoke for 3-4 minutes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing valve seals?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.