Send Topic Print
Car Question (Read 282 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: Car Question
Reply #15 - 03/21/11 at 13:35:56

The mechanic said I probably cracked the hose . I had to twist it to get it on ,definately didn't put it on backwards. I'm not sure what the problem is . Mabee a defective auto zone PCV valve?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/21/11 at 13:38:50

take it out and shake it, if it rattles it's ok.

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #17 - 03/21/11 at 13:48:12

It rattled when I put it in ,but it fit tight into the grommet .I had to push it hard with my hand . Do you think that could have constricted the movement insde the pcv valve ? It seated all the way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/21/11 at 13:50:47

take the hose off while running, should blow like smoke stack.

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #19 - 03/21/11 at 13:57:14

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #20 - 03/25/11 at 13:09:00

Getting the car back tonight ,It turns out I broke the PCV valve hose and its hard to replace on this motor . At least they put a new valve in . That was an expensive lesson .Oh well ,win some ,lose some.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 03/25/11 at 14:56:34

rl, I hate to say it, and I didn't read all the posts, but around here the 2.8 was considered a dog. It was underpowered and unreliable around 80,000+ miles. I had a GMC PU with one. It was as predicted by my friens. BUT I know you may really like your car. I have a 626 Mazda with 180,000 miles. They are known for bad transmissions, but mine has just started acting up. A quart of Lucas trans fluid helped it. Lucas makes gas/oil additives, trans conditioner, fluid and probably more. I am attached to this little car and don't have lots of cash, so we may part if it doesn't behave. In my opinion, try whatever you can afford and start saving and looking.  BTW I think there were two 2.8s made. Maybe different degrees of vee. One for trucks. One for cars. Not interchangeable because of spread. Anyone remember? IHTH

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #22 - 03/25/11 at 17:52:14

Thanks for the input .The motor runs pretty good most of the time,it leaked oil profusely for about five years . My old mechanic told me I needed an intake manifold gasket for $700 so I let it leak . I went to a new mechanic and he told me it was the oil pump O ring . He fixed it for much less. Now it doesn't leak ,but still uses oil ,thats how I started this thread ,wondering about lucas for oil consumption and I got sidetracked.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #23 - 03/26/11 at 11:59:26

Boofer wrote on 03/25/11 at 14:56:34:
rl, I hate to say it, and I didn't read all the posts, but around here the 2.8 was considered a dog. It was underpowered and unreliable around 80,000+ miles. I had a GMC PU with one. It was as predicted by my friens. BUT I know you may really like your car. I have a 626 Mazda with 180,000 miles. They are known for bad transmissions, but mine has just started acting up. A quart of Lucas trans fluid helped it. Lucas makes gas/oil additives, trans conditioner, fluid and probably more. I am attached to this little car and don't have lots of cash, so we may part if it doesn't behave. In my opinion, try whatever you can afford and start saving and looking.  BTW I think there were two 2.8s made. Maybe different degrees of vee. One for trucks. One for cars. Not interchangeable because of spread. Anyone remember? IHTH

I guess I just got lucky then. I had a 2.8 in a 82 Camaro Berlinetta and the only problem I ever had with it was a defective fuel pump. That car would stay door to door with an Iroc.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 03/26/11 at 12:23:32

Good deal, Yonuh. That's why I answered like a politician, so I can take it back or proceed as needed. Grin Used to work with a guy who told me never buy a car brand you don't like. No matter how well it runs, you'll always hate it. And if it's a brand you do like, no matter how crappy it is you'll always enjoy working on it. I think he was right. My wife shakes her head and wonders how a man can get so attached to a machine. lol

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #25 - 03/26/11 at 13:11:13

Boofer wrote on 03/26/11 at 12:23:32:
Good deal, Yonuh. That's why I answered like a politician, so I can take it back or proceed as needed. Grin Used to work with a guy who told me never buy a car brand you don't like. No matter how well it runs, you'll always hate it. And if it's a brand you do like, no matter how crappy it is you'll always enjoy working on it. I think he was right. My wife shakes her head and wonders how a man can get so attached to a machine. lol

Boofer, I have the Miata 1993 she runs like a swiss watch with 102,000
miles on it. You said they have lousy transmissions,is that also true with the manuel tranny ?
I will be making my annual trip to Vernal Utah in June, thats 2000 miles round trip. I will keep my fingers crossed.
BTW my ford Taurus has 249,000 miles on it and it uses a quart of oil a month,sometimes I put a quart of STP in it. I don.'t know if that helps or not.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #26 - 03/26/11 at 13:55:21

Nope. Just the autos. And I have been well satisfied with my 1994 Mazda 626. As Yonuh said about his car, I have been lucky, I guess. There have been several who told me the Mazda autos were junk. I know of two Miatas with many miles on them. Engines run forever. Before I buy a car I Google it and type in "problems" after the make and model. I then read it, take out about 30% for people who gripe about the dash knobs being the wrong color, etc. Check to see how many have the same problem, how much to fix it, etc. The 626 does not fare well, but I got a deal on it 110,000 miles ago. I have heard the Miatas are fine. Maybe yours will be, too.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #27 - 04/03/11 at 17:48:47

Just a quick note to serowbot. It turns out the new pcv valve and whatever else the mechanic did ,cut down the oil consumption problem dramatically ,so you did me a favor after all .Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:54:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Car Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.