Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to paint strip a tank and fender (Read 259 times)
caseyLA

Los Angeles
How to paint strip a tank and fender
03/12/11 at 20:41:10

From Tim Walker of Reno, NV (printed with permission):

I used Jasco Paint & Epoxy Remover - 15 Minute Semi-Paste, bought at Home Depot. 1 Quart removed the paint off of the tank and the front fender. The cost was $8.00. It was recommended to me by the paint dept. employee.

I followed the instructions and let it sit on the paint for 15 minutes, I then used a small brass brush ( the size of a tooth brush) and scarped the paint off.

I removed the paint in sections, the top of the tank, then the sides and then the bottom. The Jasco is  gel but you still need  a level surface so that will not run off the tank.  I then used an all-purpose cleaner to remove any left over paint sludge and then re-applied where there was some stubborn paint. Used some fine grade steel wool and the all-purpose cleaner to help remove any dried up paint remover.

I then used a brass wire wheel in a drill motor to remove a little rust that was on the bottom of the tank where the factory did not paint.

Sprayed it down with WD-40 to prevent it from rusting.  If you live in dry climate you probably shouldn't have to do this, but I live in Reno, NV and the day I stripped the tank it was snowing and around 25 degrees. I didn't want to run the risk of coming out the next morning  and seeing that the metal had started to rust.

It took me about 2 hours to complete both the tank and fender, but that was spread out over an entire day due to waiting 15 minutes between applications of the remover. I did several other projects while I was waiting and the time seemed to go bye pretty fast. The main thing is to wait and let the remover lift the paint off, once you see the paint starting to bubble then it will scape right off with very little effort.

Oh, and use some gloves to protect your hand or I'm sure you'll be removing some skin along with your paint. The fumes where not to bad so I didn't use a mask.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:13:18

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › How to paint strip a tank and fender

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.