Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 2 (Read 3486 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: The Project: Phase 2
Reply #75 - 04/09/11 at 18:57:49

I'm looking forward to seeing how you mount this thing.  I'm using 12.5" shocks on my scrambler build and running into the same situation.  If it looks like it's going to be too much of a headache to mount this thing think about just using a delrin chain slider on the swing arm like the dirt bike/dual sport bike guys do.  Over at ADVrider.com I've seen tons of guys swear by these things.  They claim thousands of miles and no apparent wear and lots of life left still.  search ebay motors for delrin slider or chain slider and you'll get plenty of options.  My only concern would be...just think of the downward pressure that will be placed on the third sprocket every time you gas it.  Either way, I'm still anxious to see how you do it.  best of luck...
mpnoffi Wink

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #76 - 04/10/11 at 05:09:40

Here's what I'm thinking. This is a picture of the Ryca rearset mount. Notice the box section tubing. Thats the area that's between the swingarm and belt.

Here it is mounted on the bike. The shot from the brake side gives a clearer view of where the box section fits in the scheme of things, though you can make it out somewhat in the shot of the belt side.

Plan A is to just notch the bottom of the box section for chain clearance. If that doesn't look feasible after I get the rough assembly done, then Plan B is the idler sprocket.  It looks like I could cut the angle off the idler's arm and then weld it to the back face of the box section so the sprocket sits low enough to hold the chain away from the rearset mount.

As for rubbing against the top of the swingarm, yeah, a delrin slider is probably the answer, though its additional thickness just about guarantees it will rub. If I hadn't already cut the belt guard tabs off the front of the swingarm, I probably could have used them to mount a block of delrin in front of the swingarm,extending upward, so it didn't increase thickness on top of the swingarm. Hmmmmm...

But I'll need to se how thing actually fit with the chain. Plan C is probably to grit my teeth and accept the fact I need to go back to belt drive.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #77 - 04/14/11 at 07:22:07

My newly laced and trued front wheel is making it's way here via UPS Ground. Judging by the tracking information (read from bottom to top) it looks like they're just rolling it across the country.

I guess it will be here tomorrow, unless they need to give it another shove in, say, Salisbury. Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Seroj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #78 - 04/14/11 at 07:26:32

That's hilarious!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #79 - 04/14/11 at 08:05:06

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/10/11 at 05:09:40:
Here's what I'm thinking. This is a picture of the Ryca rearset mount. Notice the box section tubing. Thats the area that's between the swingarm and belt.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/23ac1feb.jpg

Here it is mounted on the bike. The shot from the brake side gives a clearer view of where the box section fits in the scheme of things, though you can make it out somewhat in the shot of the belt side.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/4bc477ac.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/06e7e8b0.jpg

Plan A is to just notch the bottom of the box section for chain clearance. If that doesn't look feasible after I get the rough assembly done, then Plan B is the idler sprocket.  It looks like I could cut the angle off the idler's arm and then weld it to the back face of the box section so the sprocket sits low enough to hold the chain away from the rearset mount.

As for rubbing against the top of the swingarm, yeah, a delrin slider is probably the answer, though its additional thickness just about guarantees it will rub. If I hadn't already cut the belt guard tabs off the front of the swingarm, I probably could have used them to mount a block of delrin in front of the swingarm,extending upward, so it didn't increase thickness on top of the swingarm. Hmmmmm...

But I'll need to se how thing actually fit with the chain. Plan C is probably to grit my teeth and accept the fact I need to go back to belt drive.

A notch with a piece of pipe welded down in it will still be plenty strong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #80 - 04/14/11 at 08:38:38

Right. It's not like I stand on the pegs.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #81 - 04/15/11 at 14:37:31

The front wheel arrived. Stainless steel spokes and nickel nipples. Yum.

Along with a set of double-möbius infinity bearings.

Guess I'll spend a rainy weekend cutting all the whiskers off the tire.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #82 - 04/16/11 at 00:25:24

A Fine  looking front wheel..

The double mobius bearing  is hilarious.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #83 - 04/16/11 at 07:31:13

Because I'm kind of obsessive about such things, I had to cut all the molding whiskers off the tire.

There's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 04/16/11 at 07:47:54

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/16/11 at 07:31:13:
There's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Well spent

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #85 - 04/16/11 at 07:53:41

I thot the object was to wear them things off in corners..'I agree,, there should be as few of them as possible,, but removing them manually??? Naaaahhhh,, thats just wrong, man..

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #86 - 04/16/11 at 13:12:22

All mounted up. Need to get some spoke weights to balance it. It's really off. The tire is the same Kenda model Ryca supplies on the rear.

« Last Edit: 04/16/11 at 18:22:56 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #87 - 04/16/11 at 18:32:03

Besides helping me mount the tire (or me helping him), my painter buddy did some color tests for the body work. We used one of the Savage side covers so I could see what it looks like on a curved surface. The goal is a green so dark it's almost black—sort of ultra dark British Racing Green. So we started with a black base, shot a light coat of abalone pearl, then three coats of candy green. Perfect. It looks black with green highlights on the edges.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Abbey Normal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 04/17/11 at 08:38:16

Have you looked into using Dyna Beads (www.innovativebalancing.com) instead of spoke weights??  I have used them on 4 sets of tires on my GS and they work great.  And no unsightly stick-on or mash-on weights.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #89 - 04/17/11 at 11:08:50

DynaBeads have big fans and big haters. I remain unconvinced either way. In the meantime, lead is fine with me.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:59:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.