Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 2 (Read 3486 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Re: The Project: Phase 2
Reply #60 - 03/21/11 at 14:42:20

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #61 - 03/24/11 at 15:30:53

Ok that explains it. I knew he was away but not why. Thanks Jandaso.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #62 - 03/30/11 at 09:10:38

A freshly cut copper gasket for my big bore arrived today. Now I just need to find someone with an oxygen/acetylene torch so I can anneal it.

(Yeah, it kind of looks like brass in the photo. Darn white balance problems.)

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 03/30/11 at 09:21:10

how hot do you need?
wouldn't a standard propane torch do it?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #64 - 03/30/11 at 09:58:58

The instructions didn't give a specific temperature, just a color -- orange. I suspect they specify an oxygen/acetylene torch (with a rosebud tip) so you can heat a larger area at a time to keep things more even. I imagine the same instructions go out with all their gaskets, including ones for big multicylinder engines. I'll call them and get clarification.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #65 - 03/30/11 at 11:20:54

can you post the instructions?

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #66 - 03/30/11 at 11:46:34

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #67 - 03/30/11 at 17:43:30

I emailed Casey at Ryca to get an approximate ETA on the kit. The answer was roughly two weeks -- for my stuff, anyway. I'm getting all bare metal so I don't need to wait for paint and powdercoating. My tank has been cut, welded and pressure tested. I asked if were possible to get the frame parts -- battery box, rearset bracket, etc. -- ahead of the rest of the kit so I can get them and my frame powdercoated. (I'm not going with black.) Casey said he'd check on that.

Two things are holding up kit delivery. One is all the wheels that need to be laced and trued (and in most cases, tires mounted). The other is the supplier of the lengthened speedo cables.

So I'll have to see what shows up in time for my birthday.

« Last Edit: 03/31/11 at 05:33:23 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #68 - 03/30/11 at 19:43:25

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/30/11 at 11:46:34:

Thats some fine info,, thanks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 03/31/11 at 04:30:35

I just got an e-mail from Ryan last night because I had inquired about timing too. Mine will be around 3-4 weeks. Waiting on powder coating, rear sets, and shocks. Tank is done.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 03/31/11 at 18:12:07

Yup.  That's how you anneal copper.  I have always done it with oxy-acetylene but a propane torch is hot enough, use one of those wide tips if you have one.  A piece of copper that thin and large will cool rapidly.  So practice your routine for getting it off the hanger and into the water quickly.  Don't do it in bright light, you want to see the color and not overheat it.  

Don't worry if every corner isn't glowing orange the instant you quench it, it will still soften as long as it has some color when it hits the water.  Cooper annealing is the opposite of steel so don't generalize the directions to some other material.  You'll likely have to touch it up with some fine emery cloth or steel wool after the quench.  And if you ever have that gasket out in the future and want to soften it again prior to reassembly , repeat the procedure.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 03/31/11 at 19:13:24

Thankyou MB   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #72 - 04/02/11 at 07:05:10

The Ryca guys are concerned about my intent to convert to chain drive. In designing the kit, the clearances between the rearset brackets and the belt were carefully worked out in conjunction with the longer shocks. The chain sprockets are smaller diameter than the pulleys, making the space inside the chain smaller. The chain might rub somewhere.

But I hate the look of belt drive, so I'm going to make chain drive work, one way or another. To that end, I got one of these. It's supposed to be a chain tensioner for Harley choppers, but I figure it can be used to hold the chain away from the rearset bracket. I'll know where to mount it once I get the rough assembly done with the rearset bracket, longer shocks and chain drive. It could be welded to either the swingarm or rearset bracket. Some cutting might be necessary.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #73 - 04/07/11 at 11:09:40

Just got this email from Casey -- the CA in RYCA:

We're going to ship out your parts as soon as we receive the sidestand pieces from the waterjet guys. The pieces are cut from 1inch plate and it took them a while to get this next batch ready, but they said tomorrow. We'll get your parts to you so you can start powdercoating.

The rest of your kit shouldn't be far behind. We received the speedo cables, but still waiting on wheels and shocks (but I think you have your own shocks anyway).

-Casey

Woo-HOO! Soon, baby, soon.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #74 - 04/07/11 at 13:14:58

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/02/11 at 07:05:10:
The Ryca guys are concerned about my intent to convert to chain drive. In designing the kit, the clearances between the rearset brackets and the belt were carefully worked out in conjunction with the longer shocks. The chain sprockets are smaller diameter than the pulleys, making the space inside the chain smaller. The chain might rub somewhere.

You could always increase the size of both sprockets (about 3 teeth on the rear per tooth up front) until the diameters are comparable to the stock pulleys, right?  Or increase them just enough to get clearance while maintaining the same ratio.

The idler sprockets do look pretty cool.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 23:33:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.