drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
inch lb. or ft. lb.??
03/02/11 at 07:47:47

I can't seem to find the torque specs for the side covers. Would I be better off buying an inch lb. wrench, or a foot lb. wrench?? And if anyone knows, what is the torque spec for the side covers??

Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: inch lb. or ft. lb.??
Reply #1 - 03/02/11 at 08:29:49

From OF's make a gasket...

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/02/09 at 07:16:36:
A compression gasket requires an even application of a known torque value range to work correctly.  Over torque crushes and ruins the gasket and warps the cover.  Undertorque is just less clamping force but it does not damage the gasket nor warp the cover.

Long time ago I bought me a little quarter inch drive "inch pound" torque wrench for compression gasket use.

Default values for me if there are no known torque values for the involved gasket screws/bolts is 80-100 inch pounds with stress being put on a multi-level cross pattern pull up and consistency on final torque.  This I got from oil pans on car engines -- the touchiest compression gaskets in the world for leaking over time.

I think our side cover gaskets DO have a spec at 6.5 - 9.5 foot pounds (given for 6mm crankcase fasteners) which translates to 78 to 114 inch pounds.  Them, I'd shoot for 100 inch pounds on the nose with a good 3 level repeat cross pattern with first level at 50, second at 80 and last round at 100 inch pounds.  This ought to do her jest fine.

Gasket torque wrenches cost $30 to $50 most places as they are somewhat "specialty tools" and are not big volume items by anybody's guesstimation.  Shame that, every bike mechanic really needs one.

==========   Ta Da !!!  ==========   Jedi science comes up with an answer !!

Now, for the budget minded amongst us Harbor Freight has the no-brainer 6 newton/meter (or 72 inch pound) install a gasket tool for your Savage engine for a whopping $3.97 price tag.  Can't get more reasonable than this.  

Yoda approved as it hits right close at the bottom end of the Suzuki/Clymer recommended gasket installation torque values.

(less a half a newton/meter off and the other torque wrenches don't even graduate that fine)  

That's six inch pounds shy to you English speakers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66269

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/66200-66299/66269.gif

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 03/02/11 at 08:38:36

The General Rule of Torque Specifications states the proper torque is achieved by tightening the bolt until the head snaps off, then backing off a quarter turn.  Wink

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/02/11 at 09:09:52

Har har, chortle, snork, hehheh......I think I'll go the cheap bastards way and get me one of them Harbor Freight Newtonmeter jobs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 18:44:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › inch lb. or ft. lb.??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.