Send Topic Print
help with alignment (Read 71 times)
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help with alignment
02/27/11 at 10:33:55

i was riding around my back yard last night, the weather was kinda crappy all day long. as i was riding over a section of lawn that is covered in leaves that i have not raked up yet i layed the bike down. and now my front wheel is pointing a little to the right when my handle bars are straight.

how would i go about aligning it back up? is there a thread that would help me figure it out? im on lunch and dont have much time to look into it right now.

thanks a bunch.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: help with alignment
Reply #1 - 02/27/11 at 11:14:40

1st, figure out if the forks are bent

remove wheel and fender, right tube 1st, loosen top cap, don't remove, loosen pinch clamp, rotate tube, if it wobbles, it's bent.
repeat for left side.
If not bent, re-install wheel and fender and tighten.

It also could be your bars, loosen clamps and straighten.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/27/11 at 11:43:01

If you didnt cram it into something, its not bent. Loosen the pinch bolts on the triple tree a bit & straighten it up. A piece of Non Stretch string, tied & taped to th center of the front tire will have to be the same length to the ends of the handlebars. I dropped a Guzzi pretty hard once & had to do that. Just a tap on th front brake, in a turn on less than great traction will allow gravity to turn on, full force. I slid to a halt, feet still on the pegs. Gravity works Quick... almost immediate,, okay, it IS immediate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/27/11 at 12:00:53

May alos be that your handlebar is not alligned anymore. Handlebar can "swim" left and right on those stupid rubber bushings between risers and tripletree. Check that too. Happened to me.

IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/27/11 at 17:13:37

i think i might of fixed it.. i took the nuts off the hold the brackets to the handles bars and checked the bolt and bushing all seemed well..

then i took off the cap for just the left side jiggled it around and recapped it.. i tried bending it back up a little and i went for a little test drive at about 40mph and i seemed to not have any problems as far as holding the bars straight and the bike going to the right like i did last night.

i tried the string on the tire to the end of the handle bars and it was off a little bit..  

my left mirror is broke and my clutch lever is bent up a little but it still functions properly. my front fender is off a little bit but my forks dont look bent and i didnt notice anything funny on the drive.

i appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help with alignment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.