Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got my first Suzuki S40 (Read 211 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Just got my first Suzuki S40
02/20/11 at 21:18:04

Hello guys,

My name is Jan Da Silva and I just got my first S40 for the intentions of getting the RYCA kit. The bike was manufactured 10/06 and I got it for $1,500 with 3943 miles on it. The previous owner did not took good care of it and I just wanted to start making it run and look good again.

The bike ride just fine now but I know it needs service. I just bought the oil filter and oil to change it and a Dynojet Kit for the carburetor.

I dont know much about bikes but Im can work with mechanical stuff since I used to be a F-18 engine mechanic for the US NAVY. (I know bikes and planes are not the same.)

I was planning on getting the Clymer Manual to install the jet kit and to try and adjust the valves or any other type of service for it. Do you guys think that with that manual this things can be done??? Is there any other instructions that will help me out to do this things better than that manual ??? This questions might have been answered before but i did try to look for them but couldnt find them. Please help.

Have a great day guys and hope to ride the comments.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Just got my first Suzuki S40
Reply #1 - 02/20/11 at 21:57:26

Welcome to  the forum.....and the Savage world.
Sounds like you got a good buy on your bike.
Service...oil and filter change for sure,......but not sure why you would want to hack the carb if it runs good now. Many of these bikes are running good w/o any re jetting.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/21/11 at 03:40:10

Man, if its not beat up, you stole that thing..
Before you start deciding what to do to it, get  few thousand miles on it. You may be pleased with the MPG & power.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #3 - 02/21/11 at 07:17:43

Thanks for the replies. I will attach some pictures of the bike (will try since this will be my second post). I decided to do the re-jetting and get the carb clean since the bike misfire every time I let go of the throttle on high rpm. The bike sounds loud so I believe there was something done with the muffler. Let me know what could be the cause for the misfire. What about the clymer manual?? should it be a good Idea to have it for me to work with the misfire issue??

Thanks again.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 02/21/11 at 10:05:52

Get the Clymers.  But know that we have identified a few errors in it.  I think there is a link in the Tech section of errors that have been found.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #5 - 02/21/11 at 14:36:55

Since Im pretty sure that the muffler mas alterate, do you guys think that this muffler from eBay could help out ??? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=220689240827&index=6&nav=SEARC...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 02/22/11 at 00:10:01

Congratulations on your theft---er purchase. I hope you understand the type of re-jetting we talk about on here. The Savage has no need for afterburners. Have fun.   Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 02/22/11 at 05:50:27

Jan, if I am not mistaken (long-timers help me out here...)  I would NOT buy that one on Ebay.  Looks like a listing from a seller that we have not had good dealings with.  Name is different, but looks like the same guy to me.  Anyone agree?   (Not to mention, that price is way too high!)   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 02/22/11 at 06:18:05

There are better Bike tech tuners here than I, but if you are talking about a stumble or misfire when you back off from hi speed throttle,
I would be looking for a "rich" fuel condition, maybe cause a dirty air filter.

jandaso wrote on 02/21/11 at 07:17:43:
Thanks for the replies. I will attach some pictures of the bike (will try since this will be my second post). I decided to do the re-jetting and get the carb clean since the bike misfire every time I let go of the throttle on high rpm. The bike sounds loud so I believe there was something done with the muffler. Let me know what could be the cause for the misfire. What about the clymer manual?? should it be a good Idea to have it for me to work with the misfire issue??

Thanks again.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #9 - 02/22/11 at 15:56:48

Thanks. I will order a new one right away and a new muffler since I just saw 4 holes underneath the muffler.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 02/23/11 at 13:38:31

babyhog wrote on 02/22/11 at 05:50:27:
Jan, if I am not mistaken (long-timers help me out here...)  I would NOT buy that one on Ebay.  Looks like a listing from a seller that we have not had good dealings with.  Name is different, but looks like the same guy to me.  Anyone agree?   (Not to mention, that price is way too high!)   

Piglet, I believe you're correct. Even if it isn't the same guy, I would suspect any ebay item coming from Land-O-Lakes Florida just on the chance it might be him.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #11 - 02/23/11 at 14:31:34

Thanks I will just buy a Dyna Muffler with the rail. Here is a picture
Of the bike after oil, oil filter, air filter, front brakes, a good wash and a blue job polish.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 01:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got my first Suzuki S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.