Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replacing head gasket (Read 283 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
replacing head gasket
02/22/11 at 14:27:57

I have been looking through the web site for links or details on how to change the head gasket but cant seem to find them.  Can someone help me out?  And also if you have done this repair can you give me any hints that may be helpful?  Thanks in advance everyone.  Smiley

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: replacing head gasket
Reply #1 - 02/22/11 at 14:52:01

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/22/11 at 14:54:58

Tech section has some pretty steps.

As it's quite rare thing to do say compared to the rubber head plug leak why are you replacing the head gasket?

IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #3 - 02/22/11 at 15:41:03

from what i can see its not leaking in the same place as the rubber gasket does (from the pics i have seen)  it seems to be coming from right where the engine bolts together with the head cover.  I noticed the front bolt underneath the exhaust was loose and hoped that was it but i have since tightened it and it still is leaking slightly.

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 02/23/11 at 06:44:38

Head gasket would be farther down the engine. I think you may just have to pull the head cover, clean the old gasket material off and then apply new gasket material to the mating surfaces...
The head gasket would be about halfway down the cylinder jug...

I just did my head gasket becuz I had to helicoil some of the head cover bolts (they were stripped). It was the deepest into the engine that I've ever gone but the head gasket wasn't the problem...I replaced it anyway on advice from others here on this forum.

It wasn't a hard thing to do other than the fact that I had to drill out the head gasket rivets to fit over the engine studs (it was an after market kit).
Make sure the orientation is correct on the 3 layers of gasket material.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 02/23/11 at 11:27:32

Rubber plug leak shows up on the lower left corner of the head to cylinder point as this is the lowest point when the hot bike is parked on the side stand and the oil collects there. Easy to make incorrect call. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #6 - 02/23/11 at 13:23:17

Dumb question on my part probably but do I have to go right by the rubber plug to get to the head gasket?  And if so should I replace that just in case to prevent any future problems?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 02/23/11 at 13:45:20

Not dumb...to remove the head you have to take off the head cover, that will expose the plug that covers one of the head studs (there are 4).
Just to be clear the head cover is the one if LOTS of bolts and covers the cam, valves tappets and cam chain. The head is the top of the cylinder and has the valves and is the top of the combustion chamber and the cylinder is just that it holds the piston.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/23/11 at 15:29:17

Can you take a picture of it - I'd be really suprised if it was - that leaking plug and/or head cover along with the rubber bolt seals can sure put oil in unexpected places around the engine clear back to the battery box.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:48:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacing head gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.