Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Correct way to wash a bike? (Read 293 times)
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Correct way to wash a bike?
02/18/11 at 08:36:07

My bike could use a cleaning, whats the best way to wash it? seeing as how the electricals are some what exposed i'm assuming the pressure washer and tle local carwash isnt the best way to go. How do you guys keep your bikes clean?

Thanks!!!
Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Correct way to wash a bike?
Reply #1 - 02/18/11 at 08:57:09

I don't know if there is a "correct" way?  

I found a great can of detailer at a local bike shop, but can't remember the name.  Will have to look at it tonight.  But its a foam.  You can spray it on directly, but I spray it on my rag, then wipe with the rag.  No water required.  Its safe for chrome and paint.  Cleaned the bugs off my mirrors really well.  

The water won't hurt the bike or electrics, but I wouldn't use too high powered spray.  Garden hose is fine.  I don't let mine get very yucky, so usually just the spray detailer does the trick for me.

Of course, avoid Armor All and slippery stuff like that!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/18/11 at 09:02:35

Depends on how fussy you are.

I do quite a few dirt roads, mud paths, low water crossings, etc.  Gets pretty filthy.
So, down to the car wash (not the drive through kind!!  Shocked ) , toss in some quarters and spray 'em down!  Just don't spray UP underneath the tank or try to get in behind the side panels!  And, back off a bit further than you would for a car.  Stubborn stuff you can get with a wet rag.
Remember, motorcycle are ridden in the rain.  If you don't try to force water where rain and road spray wouldn't go, you should be OK.

If you have a newer bike, or care more about the appearance, then you can spend a ton o money on the microfiber this, wax stuff that, cleaner something or other.
I spend my money on gas.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/18/11 at 10:07:36

I use a pump bottle "car cleaner" from the dollar store...
Squirt it on, wipe it off...

If the bike gets doused in mud,.. I'll do a gentle hosing with the garden hose first,... then use the cleaner and a rag to finish...

Just takes a couple minutes,...
...unless I get into cleaning the spokes... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/11 at 10:48:39

lick it, like a cat

maybe get a cat to lick it for you??  

Grin

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/11 at 10:51:07

Serowbot wrote on 02/18/11 at 10:07:36:
I use a pump bottle "car cleaner" from the dollar store...
Squirt it on, wipe it off...

If the bike gets doused in mud,.. I'll do a gentle hosing with the garden hose first,... then use the cleaner and a rag to finish...

Just takes a couple minutes,...
...unless I get into cleaning the spokes... Huh...

yeah, that's what I do too. . . .

when I can't find a cat . . .  

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 02/18/11 at 10:54:18

IN-S40 wrote on 02/18/11 at 08:36:07:
..the pressure washer and tle local carwash isnt the best way to go..

You're right about that, and not just because of electricals.. a pressure washer will also force water past seals and rust bearings, and cause fasteners to corrode before their time.. so it is important to stand back and really watch where you are spraying, as youguyz suggests.

Other advice is pretty much spot on, I can only add a couple things.. dryer sheets (fabric softener sheets) are also very good for dissolving bugs, and I use Simple Green on the really greasy parts.  If you want a protectant, 303 marine UV protectant is far superior to ArmorAll.  A paint brush is good for getting in all the tight areas hard to reach with a rag.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/18/11 at 11:05:16

Wash it?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 02/18/11 at 11:09:55

I take a bucket of water and use a glass to pour water on the bike to wet it,Then wash with a car wash soap,Then rinse off and towel off and use a detailer on it.You don,t want to use a detailer on it without washing it first .You will rub the dirt on it and scratch the clear coating on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 02/18/11 at 11:54:25

I gently spray it off with the hose first. Then I use a wash/wax car product on her. I use a soft brush first, then I use a rag. I even take a soft bristle tooth brush for hard to reach places. I rinse inbetween so the wash product doesn't have time to dry.
Once completed, I take her for a lil spin. That seems to help in getting the water out of places that is hard to dry.
I take a chamois and dry her after that.
I have taken and just washed her then used the detailer afterwards. If you read the directions on most polishing or detailing cans, it will tell you to make sure the bike is clean first. To me that is a no brainer..Smiley kim

IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #10 - 02/18/11 at 12:12:02

Boule’tard wrote on 02/18/11 at 10:54:18:
IN-S40 wrote on 02/18/11 at 08:36:07:
..the pressure washer and tle local carwash isnt the best way to go..

You're right about that, and not just because of electricals.. a pressure washer will also force water past seals and rust bearings, and cause fasteners to corrode before their time.. so it is important to stand back and really watch where you are spraying, as youguyz suggests.

Other advice is pretty much spot on, I can only add a couple things.. dryer sheets (fabric softener sheets) are also very good for dissolving bugs, and I use Simple Green on the really greasy parts.  If you want a protectant, 303 marine UV protectant is far superior to ArmorAll.  A paint brush is good for getting in all the tight areas hard to reach with a rag.

I use 303 on my hot tub cover, stuff works great!

Thanks guys! I was just wondering about do's and dont's

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 02/18/11 at 13:15:21

kimchris1 wrote on 02/18/11 at 11:54:25:
I gently spray it off with the hose first. Then I use a wash/wax car product on her. I use a soft brush first, then I use a rag. I even take a soft bristle tooth brush for hard to reach places. I rinse inbetween so the wash product doesn't have time to dry.
Once completed, I take her for a lil spin. That seems to help in getting the water out of places that is hard to dry.
I take a chamois and dry her after that.
I have taken and just washed her then used the detailer afterwards. If you read the directions on most polishing or detailing cans, it will tell you to make sure the bike is clean first. To me that is a no brainer..Smiley kim

The reason I don't use a hose is that is hard water,I use hot water which is soft water.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #12 - 02/18/11 at 13:38:47

I use some stuff we sell here called 210 cleaner - aerosol foam - spray it on the windshield, mirrors chrome wipe off - spray the motor with GUNK degreaser occassionally and hose off with garden hose - use leather conditoner on the seats about 4 times a year - armour all on the side walls of the tires & bags every month (never on the contact patch of the tires) - mcquires wax and polishes on the painted parts about twice a year - "never dull" on the chrome about 3 times a year......she never gets wet from rain riding - I am a daylight dry weather only rider  - riding in the cold is ok but not in the dark or wet....i'm a wuss i guess....but my bike stays pretty clean.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
mg66
YaBB Newbies

Never, never enough
miles ...

Reply #13 - 02/18/11 at 14:32:14

I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. The stuff in the pink can. Use it on plastic, glass, windshield, mirrors, chrome, paint and I reckon just about any other surface. cleans bugs off well.

mg66 (FIGJAM) ... Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. ~ Author Unknown
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/18/11 at 15:23:02

I used to take it o the car wash & hose it with the wand. Never had a problem but the squeaky belt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Correct way to wash a bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.