Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New to me 95 Savage in red (Read 730 times)
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to me 95 Savage in red
07/21/10 at 05:34:27

Picked the bike up yesterday for $1k.  It has 6,000 miles and is in pretty good shape.  I cleaned her up last night and most of the chrome polished right up.  The paint shines now that it has been waxed too.  I'm pretty psyched about the new 650 after riding a 2004 Honda Rebel 250 for the past 3 years!

I noticed a couple of things:

There's no trip odometer, so how do most of you guys know when you are low on fuel?

There is some pitting and some rust, I have metal cleaner and polish and evapo rust and plan on getting 'er cleaned up nice over the next week or so.  This will be an outside bike (no garage) so does anyone recommend one cover in particular?

The brake pads will prbly need to be replaced, does anyone recommend one specific brand or website to get these from?

So far, I know:
the oil is fresh
it has a brand new battery
the tires have some dry rot and will need to be replaced (taking recommendations on tires for her and places to get them online)
There is some backfiring which I see is normal
Topped the tank off with fresh fuel
Replaced both fuses under right side of seat

What else should I be looking to do to make this puppy road worthy?

The ride home yesterday was great!  A lot more torque then I'm used to and although the pipe is relatively quiet, it's still an upgrade from my 250...

I know you guys probly get a lot of these posts, new bike, what should I do?  Just want to see if there's anything else I should be looking at before I take her on the highway.  Service manual is on the way.

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New to me 95 Savage in red
Reply #1 - 07/21/10 at 05:46:57

Buy gas every 100 miles so you don't run out,Put Sea Foam in gas tank and engine to clean them up.Pirelli 66 route tires for long lasting, great handling and smooth ride

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/21/10 at 05:49:41

thanks for the reply!  You mean put seafoam in the crankcase?  Will that mess with the wet clutch?  if not, assuming not, since you know what you're talking about, how much in the case and how much in the tank?

Thanks again!

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 07/21/10 at 05:52:38

First -- Welcome!  And congrats on the bike.

You will get alot of answers to your many questions.  I'll take the easy one.  No trip meter -- 100 miles is about average for a tank of gas.  I have run out (switched to reserve) at 109 miles, but I've also made it 125 on a tank.  Just depends on how full you fill it...  So I carry a 3-dial padlock like below.  Dial it to your mileage every time you fill up.  Then you can check it when you forget how many miles you've been.  Some hook them to the handlebars, clip it wherever you want....  Simple, cheap, effective!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/21/10 at 05:53:40

When you buy the can of Sea Foam it tells on the can how much to use per quart for oil and gallon for gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #5 - 07/21/10 at 07:41:12

Get the cover from walmart they sell covers for like 20$ you will have a hard time finding a cheaper one even online cause of shipping. And remember to not put it on until the bike is cool or the exhaust will melt it.    Lube up your throttle cable and make sure there's no binding in your controls and that all lights work properly(inspection will take care of that anyways).

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #6 - 07/21/10 at 09:38:37

Oil - 10W40 is specified. Use that, or use what I use - 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 synthetic ($20/gallon at Walmart). I've never used oil additives, and I have 28,000 no-trouble miles on my Bandit using Rotella.

Gas - use a Top Tier gas like Shell or Chevron, 87 octane. Install an in-line fuel filter.

Gas additive - Chevron Techron or Sea Foam once in a while (when you change the oil). My air-cooled engines and my Cherokee seem to like Lucas Fuel Treatment on a constant basis (improves mpg by 5-7%).

Miles-to-empty - I just installed a Sigma 1106 wired bicycle computer. Cost ~$25 and took about one hour to rig. Keeps track of trip and total distance, avg and max speed, pace, clock, etc. Very nice.

Tires - I hear Metzelers are good as are Pirellis. The IRCs that came on my bike will need replacement soon. I don't think much of them. Keep the inflation correct, 29 f/33 r for solo riding.

Fork brace - this could be the best performance improvement. I'm getting one from Tkat.

Brakes - EBC FA-106 brake pads. Came on my bike. Reported to be better than OEM.

Shop manual - buy a Clymer's. Unless you know the PO did this within the last 3,000 miles you should do a automatic decompressor/valve adjust/cylinder head bolt re-torque soon. Also within next 3,000 miles you should inspect the cam chain adjuster.

Safety checks - check every nut/bolt/screw that you can easily access, especially check torque of 1. rear axle bolt (there's no cotter pin for back-up) and 2. brake/brake lever mounting points and 3. front drive pulley bolt.

Happy riding! Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/22/10 at 15:20:48 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #7 - 07/21/10 at 14:43:54

Congratulations, Wally on the bike. Pictures??

Babyhog - love the lock idea for mileage!!! Thanks!

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 07/21/10 at 14:46:42

Hey, Jimsgirl. I mailed your light today.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/21/10 at 17:07:25

jimsgirl wrote on 07/21/10 at 14:43:54:
Congratulations, Wally on the bike. Pictures??

Babyhog - love the lock idea for mileage!!! Thanks!

Yea, its great.  I think Serowbot turned me on to that, so thanks to him too!  IIRC, he strapped his to his handlebar somewhere.  I have a fanny pack strapped to my backrest, so I keep it in there.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #10 - 07/22/10 at 04:57:30

wallysurfr wrote on 07/21/10 at 05:34:27:
There's no trip odometer, so how do most of you guys know when you are low on fuel?

Everybody has there own method, they are correct on the 100 range, so I just plan on filling up at every even hundred miles on the odometer(5100, 5200, 5300)  I can see when it is coming up, and I know I have at least 15 miles on reserve(just don't forget to switch it back when you fill up, and NO, I won't discuss how I know that Wink), and most of my riding is not too far from some kind of fuel supply.  If I'm going long distance, I plan out the stops in advance.

Enjoy your new ride, I go a 97 7 months ago, and I love it.

IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/22/10 at 05:05:28

Thanks for all of the friendly replies!  I will be ordering the manual so I can do the basic stuff myself.  I threw some seafoam in the tank and crankcase last night.

I noticed something on the way to work this morning.  There is a whislting/jingling type of sound coming from the block while the rpm are up.  Bike doesn't make the noise much when it's idling so I can tell exactly where it is coming from.  Any ideas?  Are these engines noisy in general or should I be concerned about this?

Also, last night when it was dark I parked the bike after about a 20 minute ride.  I noticed in the headlight, some smoke coming from near the header or the block.  I'm not sure if it was residue left on the pipe from the cleaner I was using or oil but it smelled like oil to me.  I looked around but didn't see any noticeable oil on the block.  Any areas this bike is known to develop a leak?

Keep the info coming!  Thanks guys!

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/22/10 at 05:41:43

was $1000 a good deal for this bike?  Or did I overpay?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/22/10 at 05:45:43

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/21/10 at 09:38:37:
Oil - 10W40 is specified. Use that, or use what I use - 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 synthetic ($20/gallon at Walmart). I've never used oil additives, and I have 28,000 no-trouble miles on my Bandit using Rotella.

Gas - use a Top Tier gas like Shell or Chevron, 87 octane. Install an in-line fuel filter.

Gas additive - Chevron Techron or Sea Foam once in a while (when you change the oil). My air-cooled engines and my Cherokee seem to like Lucas Fuel Treatment on a constant basis (improves mpg by 5-7%).

Miles-to-empty - I just installed a Sigma 1106 wired bicycle computer. Cost ~$25 and took about one hour to rig. Keeps track of trip and total distance, avg and max speed, pace, clock, etc. Very nice.

Tires - I hear Metzelers are good as are Pirellis. The IRCs that came on my bike will need replacement soon. I don't think much of them. Keep the inflation correct, 29 f/33 r for solo riding.

Fork brace - this could be the best performance improvement. I'm getting one from Tkat.

Brakes - EBC FA-106 brake pads. Came on my bike. Reported to be better than OEM.

Shop manual - buy a Clymer's. Unless you know the PO did this within the last 3,000 miles you should do a automatic decompressor/valve adjust/heat bolt re-torque soon. Also within next 3,000 miles you should inspect the cam chain adjuster.

Safety checks - check every nut/bolt/screw that you can easily access, especially check torque of 1. rear axle bolt (there's no cotter pin for back-up) and 2. brake/brake lever mounting points and 3. front drive pulley bolt.

Happy riding! Smiley

OK, I've adjusted valved before so I can handle that (I think).  What's a automatic decompressor?  I assume you meant to type heaD bolt re-torque?  Is there links of how to's for this stuff?  Like a DIY section?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/22/10 at 05:52:29

WELCOME TO THE SAVAGE WORLD DUDE !

IP Logged