Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old topic revisited, replacement shocks (Read 106 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Old topic revisited, replacement shocks
02/16/11 at 18:26:37

I am another rider with a bad back that can’t take sudden jolts from rear shocks so I’m considering buying some longer replacement shocks.  I read the thread concerning rear shocks but would still like some opinions especially about the length.  I plan to add some padding to the seat so I have to consider the overall height increase.

If the back end gets jacked up and causes the steering to quicken up a little I would consider that a good thing.  Does anyone know at what length the quicker steering is noticeable?  But my real goal is a nicer ride without a lot of extra work or $$$.

Having read the threads and looking at Ebay for low cost solutions I see three alternatives, Progressive shocks which can be found new and used in various lengths, Intruder shocks which are 12 ˝ long, and stock Harley Sportster shocks (there are always lots of them, lengths seem to vary).

Lengthwise I don’t think the Progressives would need to be as long as the other alternatives because the progressive rate spring resistance would prevent bottoming out.  11 1/2 seems good because it gives an extra inch of travel but wouldn’t effect the reserve fuel tank capacity, accuracy of the oil window and oil distribution, seat height and belt guard to any great extent.  Any opinions as to what length Progressives would be needed to make a nice gentle ride?

There are many used Harley shocks for reasonable (read cheap) prices on Ebay.  They look well made.  Several people mentioned them as an alternative.  I can make bushings easy enough so they would fit.  But since the spring is constant rate it seems that longer ones would be needed.  Any suggestions on length for stock Harley springs?

At present I can find only one set of stock Intruder 800 shocks but they have 40,000 miles on them and I think they must be getting close to worn out.  They are long, 12 ˝, and people say they have a great ride but do they cause any problems, such as the fuel in the tank and the oil in the crankcase running forward? (Don’t want to starve the transmission and flood the crank shaft in oil)

A set of Progressives 11 ˝ long is available to me but they are model 412-4200C and are fairly soft.  I don’t know how they would fit, they are replacements for some older Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda models.  Also, some bargain priced Progressives are new but apparently have been stored for some time, I wonder how long they last in storage before the seals take a set or the nitrogen leaks out?

I would appreciate any opinions.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Old topic revisited, replacement shocks
Reply #1 - 02/16/11 at 18:40:01

Sounds like you've studied up very well...

I have the Intruders, and like them a lot.  No oil starvation, and site glass change is minimal...
They are tall, and they are soft... Not recommended if you are 200+ lbs...
They only look tall when the bike is sitting, because you will get about 1" sag when you sit...  Sag is a good thing, it adds to the cushioning effect, and smooths the bumpy's...

I'd go at least 11 1/2" to get more than subtle difference.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/16/11 at 18:45:04

How much do you weight?

I weight about 240
the 412-4005 are too light, I maxed out the preload.
the 412-4201 are a better choice for me.

I found a set of 440's for about the same price, much better.

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/16/11 at 18:59:28

Serowbot you have a nice looking bike.  I'm about 165 lbs and won't carry much extra weight.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/16/11 at 19:06:17

I've been looking for used 440's but they are hard to find.  How long are your 440's?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 02/16/11 at 19:20:08

Getting the correct spring rate for you and the bike is more important than shock length. When you order shocks from someone like Works or YSS, they ask the model of bike so they know the bike's weight and, more important, they ask your weight dressed to ride -- helmet, boots, armor, the whole deal.

Once you get the right springs, you can worry about length. In my book, more travel is better. For reference, the Ryca conversion goes with 12.5" shocks. That's combined with  dropping the forks 2 inches. That makes the steering geometry much closer to something like a Bonneville, though still a touch on the slow side. Going with 11.5" shocks while leaving the forks alone won't change much, but it will at least change things for the better.

Since the shocks on a Savage/S40 are at a steep angle, adding length to the shocks will have less of an affect on ride height than on a bike with more vertical shocks. So adding an inch in length will probably add only about a half inch in height. But you'll get more travel. Yay travel!

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/16/11 at 19:33:04

engineer wrote on 02/16/11 at 19:06:17:
I've been looking for used 440's but they are hard to find.  How long are your 440's?

11"

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/16/11 at 22:13:10

Whatever shocks you decide to get,... if you go higher than 11",... and I do recommend that you do,  
you may want to raise your kickstand height...
I used a $2 hockey puck... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/16/11 at 22:42:47

don't know if dug this far back - here's some digging around on shocks, spring rates, bike lift and such from a few years ago:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1126562337/45

bet one of these would work real well for you :

Standard 11" (90/130 lb/in)  
412-4232c

Standard 11" (115/155 lb/in)
412-4233C

both are on ebay right now for a little over $200

of course there is a set of used 440's 90/130 in/lb springs for $75 on ebay - that would be a fine deal - need to come up with a metric bushing however:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11-Progressive-Suspension-Rear-Shocks-440-4005...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/17/11 at 01:00:11

i had progressives 412-4005 (same as 4232) and they were much better than stock, but i found a real cheap pair of intruder shocks so i swapped them. The intruder shocks take the cake and then some.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:10:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Old topic revisited, replacement shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.