Send Topic Print
got a new bike (Read 419 times)
chickenwingsmmm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

got a new bike
02/07/11 at 18:46:06

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to motorcycling. I just sold my Yamaha TW200 over the weekend, and decided i should go ahead and replace it. I actually was very interested in the S40 before I got the TW, but there was a great deal on the TW I couldn't pass up. Anywho bac to the subject, the dealer had a brand new 09 black still in the crate he cut me a pretty good deal on. Unfortunatly being in the crate and all means I have to wait to pick it up, and drive the 180ish miles there and 180ish back. I was just wondereing if there's anything I should watch out for when I get it or any tips for the breakin. thanks, Tanner

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: got a new bike
Reply #1 - 02/07/11 at 19:41:38

Hi, and welcome to the forum. As for your questions, I will try to answer some for you.
I have an 09 as well and had to ride mine home upon purhase as well.

Ok here you go, on your first 500 miles your going to want to fluxuate your speed. Also don't stomp on the brakes and you need to break in the tires as well. The first 100 miles is good for breaking in the tires. Try and do some curves and again adjust your speed, when coming to a stop try and not stomp on the brakes.
You should receive an owners manual with all these instructions as well as some others when you get your bike.
Unless you already know, fillup at 100 miles and your good to go before having to place on reserve.
Their are plenty of great knowledgeable folks on here. Anything you want to know about the bike, can be found out in here.
Your dealership will or should inform you about the first 500 or 600 mile checkup.
Don't forget to post a pic of your bike and yourself as well. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Their are plenty of knowledgeable people here, that knows this bike inside out.
Happy trails and keep the rubber side down. Hugs.. kim Smiley

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #2 - 02/07/11 at 20:50:43

"I was just wondereing if there's anything I should watch out for when I get it".........

Cages.   Cool

Welcome!

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/07/11 at 21:13:15

Here, download this and read it...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254

follow the break in procedure as best you can.  Somewhere there's a link to a fast break in procedure from someone on a ninja forum.

make sure they wash the tires to get the mold release off, makes them slippery.

WWW   IP Logged
chickenwingsmmm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/08/11 at 04:17:49

I actually don't have to ride it home, it's going in the back of my 11 miles to the gallon pickup. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as far as any initial service goes. I've built 2 engines and work at the local NAPA... As a matter of fact I need to leave now. Tanner

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/08/11 at 07:10:17

well that's a relief, thought you were going to walk it to pick it up.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #6 - 02/08/11 at 12:16:08

Now see if it was me, I would take a bus and ride it home. That would really help with the break in.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
chickenwingsmmm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/08/11 at 14:43:09

Bus and walk home would be an ok idea in the summer, it's Feb though and pretty chilly here in ol' east tn.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/08/11 at 17:46:34

Youll need to gather up some good clothes for cold & wet weather riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 02/09/11 at 20:15:46

Enjoy the new beastie.  Hopefully, they charged the battery and ran the bike.  Outside of the slick new tires, read the manual so as not to accidentally hit the kill switch and spend a few embarrasssing hours trying to start it.  The rubber fuel lines should be checked but if only two years in crate, should be OK  (The vacumn petcock/fuel line system is a thrill.)
See the many Raptor threads over the years. Cheesy

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 02/10/11 at 02:55:55

Trippah wrote on 02/09/11 at 20:15:46:
read the manual so as not to accidentally hit the kill switch and spend a few embarrasssing hours trying to start it.  

darn, I didn't think anyone saw me  Embarrassed

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 02/10/11 at 08:19:55

If there is a member on here who won't admit to getting the handlebar switches, key position, side stand switch, neutral and/or clutch off sync with each other at least once or twice during their early Savage riding career and getting a "no start" then they are simply a deluded prevaricator in need of a cup of strong coffee to wake themselves up good and get their memories to working ....

Heck, I will even admit to twisting the key the wrong way once (I was reaching across the seat leaning over the bike) and wondering why it wouldn't start in the accessory key position.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #12 - 02/10/11 at 14:32:26

Guilty with the Kill switch in a grocery store parking lot 1 time. Only for a minute or so, but long enough for a " DUH " thought to sink in... Tongue

IP Logged
chickenwingsmmm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/10/11 at 15:08:46

On my old TW200 I'd always keep the fuel turned on. One day I went to leave work and one of my work "buddies" had apparently turned the fuel off. I made it about 50 feet to the stopsign and had to sit there for about 3 minutes trying to figure out what happened.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/10/11 at 16:19:08

I like using the kill switch to shut off. Thats all dandy & all, but MAN its easy to walk away & leave the key in it, turned on. Ive done that quite a few times..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › got a new bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.