Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried putting on a king queen seat? (Read 536 times)
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Anyone tried putting on a king queen seat?
02/11/11 at 20:19:24

I want an old school chopper look on my next bike. Has anyone put a king queen seat on a savage? If so I would love to see pictures.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Anyone tried putting on a king queen seat?
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 19:58:22

Havent seen any, but it would be cool.  Loved the occ chopper my name is Earl bike with the plad really big king and queen seat.  
http://nbcauction.auction.seenon.com/viewitem.php?item=960

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #2 - 02/16/11 at 22:14:45

Someone has to have tried at least.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 02/17/11 at 04:53:28

Most people have been going solo seat.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 06/30/13 at 21:16:19

sorry to bump an old thread but I am wondering the same thing.

I would like to lower the rear of my bike and put a tall sissy bar and a king queen seat on. I know the sissy bar will be fairly easy. just some steel bar bent in the shape I want and bolted to the existing mounts. the seat, however, I know would take a little more effort so I would like to know how it would look before I start in on that big of a project. still debating on using the stock seat pan and building up/cutting down foam and recovering. something like this would be perfect:

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/30/13 at 22:57:12

Give me a couple days Nick, I'll rig the tall twisted chick stick back up and drop the true king/queen (Mustang Royal Duke) from the 800 Intruder on the Savage. It will look a bit off, since the seat back only goes the height of a stock Intruder sissybar, proper k/q goes all the way up the bar height.

Pic below should work... era correct set up. Have others, but the nudity in the pics would give the mods fits...  Grin

Check THIS thread, currently 109 pages long, will take you a few days...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13388.0

CoolPanheadHotty_001.jpg

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/03/13 at 21:30:33

WD wrote on 06/30/13 at 22:57:12:
Give me a couple days Nick, I'll rig the tall twisted chick stick back up and drop the true king/queen (Mustang Royal Duke) from the 800 Intruder on the Savage. It will look a bit off, since the seat back only goes the height of a stock Intruder sissybar, proper k/q goes all the way up the bar height.

Pic below should work... era correct set up. Have others, but the nudity in the pics would give the mods fits...  Grin

Check THIS thread, currently 109 pages long, will take you a few days...http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13388.0

im kinda surprised that bikes not sitting up a little better,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 07/03/13 at 22:18:25

Evidently, i'm not the only one wanting to try this. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372797625

I decided to use the stock seat pan. I have some diamond stitched vinyl fabric on the way and I have some plain vinyl left over from a previous job. I plan on undoing the staples and saving the foam and cover from the stock seat just in case I mess up or want to go back to stock. Watched some youtube videos and read some forums on the subject. I think I should be able to to use spray foam to create a nice base on the plastic seat pan and use other foam and padding to shape a seat that will satisfy my needs. The only part i'm concerned about really is the sewing. I don't own a sewing machine and i'll probably have to get my grandma to help out, or do it for me.  Roll Eyes . I'm wanting a separate sissy bar and this will be straight forward. I will try to take pictures and/or video as I go along, just in case it turns out ok. Grin

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 07/04/13 at 22:47:26

nickthe_human wrote on 07/03/13 at 22:18:25:
Evidently, i'm not the only one wanting to try this. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372797625

I decided to use the stock seat pan. I have some diamond stitched vinyl fabric on the way and I have some plain vinyl left over from a previous job. I plan on undoing the staples and saving the foam and cover from the stock seat just in case I mess up or want to go back to stock. Watched some youtube videos and read some forums on the subject. I think I should be able to to use spray foam to create a nice base on the plastic seat pan and use other foam and padding to shape a seat that will satisfy my needs. The only part i'm concerned about really is the sewing. I don't own a sewing machine and i'll probably have to get my grandma to help out, or do it for me.  Roll Eyes . I'm wanting a separate sissy bar and this will be straight forward. I will try to take pictures and/or video as I go along, just in case it turns out ok. Grin

Take the finished foam seat and your material to a shop that specializes  in covering seats. See how much they would charge to sew one up for ya.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/05/13 at 07:36:42

Forge...check. Bar stock... check. Welder... check. Upholstery machine... check (and spare, since I stitch my stuff by hand). Unemployable and bored ex-patch holder that loves nothing more than "f***ing up perfectly good motorcycles"... check.  Wink

Whenever you're ready, just bring coal and your cover material. And an open mind.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 07/05/13 at 13:25:21

[/quote]
Great photos thanks.  Wink

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #11 - 07/18/13 at 11:12:13

well I finally dove into my seat. I tried to take pictures along the way but got caught up trying to make things work so not a lot of pictures of the process, but...

first, I pulled the cover and foam off the stock seat pan. pretty easy, just unbolt leather strap and pull staples. I saved the foam and cover just in case  Roll Eyes here it sits on my bike.

then I gathered supplies. I tried to use what I had available but had to order some material. I got some vinyl that was already diamond stitched with a little foam backing. for the seat foam I bought $5 worth of carpet padding from local shop and some upholstery/project foam(1") from wally world for a few $$. I already had some plain vinyl fabric from previous job to use on the sides.

For the padding, I measured the widest part of the pan and cut a couple strips and laid them on the pan, then cut some smaller pieces to build up the "hump" for the king queen seat. really this was all guess work and a lot of trial and error. I used some spray adhesive once I figured out what pieces I wanted.

and I would suggest something besides scissors and razor blades for cutting. but thats what I had. heres in the middle of cutting the shape. also, notice its a whole lot wider at the top. I tried to taper it like the original so my wife could have a cushy 8 inches on top. (also used some cardboard for a makeshift template so I could keep an idea of the side profile)

...and then some foam layers on top for the misses. very rough but was able to smooth out with some patience.

once I had the shape I thought I wanted I covered the foam in saran wrap. (here its also wrapped to the pan so I could put it on the bike for testing  and it wouldnt slide around)

then the cover! this was tricky cause of the curves and tapering, but again patience helped! with the top layer, I cut a strip to the widest point (leaving plenty to be stitched) and put face down on ground. then carefully, using the pan and foam upside down, drew a template on the back of the fabric. same with sides but much easier. once I had a rough three pieces, I pinned them together and did an inside out test fit (also did this several times during the rest of the process  Grin)

I would have liked to have had this done, but in the effort to save money, I did it myself. I also would have liked to have had a sewing machine to do this but didnt, and didnt want to borrow one from grandma and tear it up trying to sew a motorcycle seat! Undecided so I opted for hand stitching it. this took a long time! but I did the whole seat over the course of 3-4 days. I just used a running stitch following my lines (and kept test fitting). the hardest part was at the last when doing the back. had a little slack in one corner but was able to make it work.

overall for the amount of money and time I have into it not bad. It is my first upholstery job (my last bike was just one piece of fabric stretched over the pan) here it is on my bike. I still have to do the matching sissy bar and pad. will hopefully have it done in the next couple days. just gonna use 1/2" steel rod bent with some mounts welded. plywood with pad and fabric. and then drill holes through to existing fender rails for mounting to the bike. also, when I was stretching the cover and stapling, I used some batting to fill out the sides so you cant see the layers and edges.

again: not a professional job, but it got the look I wanted, me lowered, my wife more comfortable and didnt cost me a whole lot. sorry for the long post. hope it encourages and helps anybody else wanting to reuse their seat pan!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 07/18/13 at 13:00:03

Good job well done.  Wink

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #13 - 07/24/13 at 09:56:47

Thanks Paul.

Bad news. seat material doesnt hold up well to water. I've had her covered for the past week almost due to off and on thunderstorms. I pulled the cover off today to go for a quick ride. (I was missing her) and the low sitting edge of the seat(when on the kickstand) was wet around seam. and I could squeeze it and make more water come out. I dried as much as possible and went riding anyways. when I got home, my left cheek was soaked thru. oh well. also, the backrest for me/hump in the seat is too far forward so im literally an inch from sitting on the tank. not a huge problem. I like the bend in my knees and how low I sit but will probably try to fix the foam and figure out what to do(if anything) about the non-waterproof material.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/24/13 at 10:04:07

And now you know why the seams in factory seats are heat pressed....and not sewn.  Heat pressed seams are waterproof!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:36:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone tried putting on a king queen seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.