Send Topic Print
Handlebars old vs. new (Read 294 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handlebars old vs. new
02/10/11 at 10:34:56

Some of you have ridden both older and newer Savage/S40 bikes.  I have only sat on the S40 with the new style handle bars.  Are the buckhorn style bars any different in terms of the seating position?

Are they closer or more forward, higher or lower, or do they end up being about the same?  The angle of the grips on the buckhorns looks like it might be more natural.  I would like to hear your opinions and any thoughts on the seating position in general.

Here is a link to a seat mod site if you are interested.  Follow the menu left to right and be sure to check out the sub-menus because that is where most of the information is.  
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

My bike still hasn't been delivered yet due to weather and road conditions, or maybe the dealer is hibernating.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Handlebars old vs. new
Reply #1 - 02/10/11 at 11:40:19

More or less seating is the same... ouch!

Arm position is different, drag bars allow a straighter arm, while the buckhorns a bent arm.  It forces me to hold my elbows in to my body.

I like the drag bars but they are too narrow and I like less pull back. All you see in the mirrors are your elbows.

Ended up with z bars 6" rise, short risers, about half the pull back of the drag bars.  You need about 6" rise to clear the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/11/11 at 00:13:06

I opted for a late 90's Sportster bar, still a buckhorn, but not so tight in the bends. It gets my elbows out away from my gut, and I feel that I have better control.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/11/11 at 00:23:49

Everyone is different. I like the buckhorns. For me, its much more comfortable when riding at higher speeds. When traveling I can lean back on my sleeping bag. I don't like the lean forward position. Plus the buckhorns give it the old style look and feel.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 02/11/11 at 03:48:57

I've owned both the Savage with the OEM buckhorn bars and the S40 with the OEM drags on pull back risers ... IMHO the S40's setup gives better steering input and control ... as already pointed out the Savage's buckhorns tucked the elbows in too much which in my experience restricted the amount of steering input you could give (compared to the S40's drag bars) ... I felt I could corner much better with the S40's set up. That said, when I had the Savage, I loosened the bar clamps and rolled the bars ahead about an inch and a half (of course re-tightening the clamps!) ... this effectively raised the grips up and ahead and was MUCH more comfortable! It also measurably improved steering input and cornering ... nearly as good as the OEM drags ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/11/11 at 04:43:05

I had a Kawa 750 with some mini apes or buckhorns, certainly not flat & low bars. Didnt like the way it felt, couldnt pick it up worth a crap, either. A friend gave me some Ducati bars. Handled corners much easier & easier to pick up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 02/11/11 at 07:22:45

PerrydaSavage wrote on 02/11/11 at 03:48:57:
..when I had the Savage, I loosened the bar clamps and rolled the bars ahead about an inch and a half (of course re-tightening the clamps!) ... this effectively raised the grips up and ahead and was MUCH more comfortable! ...

That says it right there.  Any bars that use short risers (or no risers) such that the clamp is well below hand level, is going to give you much more fore/aft adjustability.

I liked the drag bars just fine in the stock location.  But if I didn't, I would have converted to the low clamp and bought some bars with less sweep (droop?) than the buckhorns.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 02/11/11 at 07:52:12

I have a savage that converted to 32" wide drag bars with 4" risers.  So it pulls the bars further away from you and keeps alittle bit of the height.. They're still alittle lower than the buckhorns, but I prefer the drag bars.  There's a reason sport bikes use clipons they give you better control, makes it easier to steer and lean.  Having your hands pointed forward is more natural than having them turned out and having the handlebars a decent amount below your shoulder height makes it easier to lean the bike with your upper body taking strain off your stomach and leg muscles.  A higher leaned back handlebar can be better if your doing lots of highway cruising, but savages aren't really built for highway touring anyways.  

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 02/11/11 at 08:16:47

Where you are sitting, just stick your arms out in front of you and let them hang there, loose in the air with no conscious control.

How are your hands oriented?    Get bars that do that.

(how is your body built, in other words.  Notice if you will that women's arms work slightly differently in this test than ours as they have slight structural modifications for carrying stuff like a baby for long long periods of time)

Pick the bar style that fits your body the best and you'll be happy.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/11/11 at 08:43:38

My wifes 1980 gn had stock buckhorn bars,She had then turned way up,She said that she rest her hands on top of the bars and didn't have to hold on so tight,I didn't like it that way myself.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/11/11 at 08:46:05

That is exactly what I did to my stock buckhorns too.  Rolling them forward so your grip last longer and feels much better to have your elbows out of your side.

IP Logged
jonnyb021104
YaBB Newbies

broken ass 86
savage!

northern virginia
Reply #11 - 02/11/11 at 18:09:46

are the handlebars 7/8 or 1"?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/11/11 at 18:25:25

1"

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/11/11 at 18:30:32

Thanks for all the input.  For now, I will plan on using the stock S40 handlebars.  I saw some buckhorns for sale but will let them pass.  My arms are fairly long and I don't want my elbows bent and back by my sides as you guys have described the buckhorns.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jonnyb021104
YaBB Newbies

broken ass 86
savage!

northern virginia
Reply #14 - 02/11/11 at 18:51:51

for all years of savages?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print