Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maybe a '01 Savage for 1st bike? (Read 98 times)
NoBikeYet
YaBB Newbies

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Far NorthEast Texas
Maybe a '01 Savage for 1st bike?
02/05/11 at 19:24:52

Hello, I've been reading for almost a week. Nice forum you have here!

I've never owned a motorcycle, my entire MC riding experience consists of one afternoon on an old Honda 305 Dream, about 27 years ago. I'm now in my 50's, ~5'11", way too heavy, ~30" inseam, and that doggone bug has bitten me again. I'm strongly considering a Suzuki Savage or S40 for my first bike.

I've spotted one on CL that would require a round trip of less than 300 miles, not bad compared to some of the other trips I've considered. The bike in question: 2001 Savage, ~8600 miles, seller claims mechanically perfect, ride it home(but I'd tow it on my 4x8 utility trailer, gotta learn to ride it before any long trips!)- *BUT* bike needs rear turns, mirrors, and one foot peg. Asking price isn't too bad, $1100. Missing parts- bike doesn't look wrecked in photo, but photo ain't that good. Maybe due to making a "bobber" out of it? It does have small sissy bar- factory? I haven't called the seller yet.

Big Question 1:  if I call & it looks worth investigating, what will new rear turn lights(gotta be OEM, or are there cheaper alternatives?), mirrors(ditto), and a footpeg cost?

Reliability- after readng on this forum for several days, things that really worry me about the Suzuki 650 single-cyls are the cam chain mechanism, & head & camshaft problems. That's the impression I got anyway.

Big Question 2: Is there any quick & easy way to check & be sure the cam tensioner/cam/head is in decent shape? Or is that completely a crap shoot?

I'm really tempted to call & see what he says about wrecks, drops, etc. If it's good cosmetically, & sounds ok when running, & has clear title, then adjusting valves doesn't scare me. I owned an old Volvo 120 series sedan for over 20 yrs, & had to adjust valves on *4* cylinders for it!  Wink

So, what do you think?

Thanks for any help & advice you can offer.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Maybe a '01 Savage for 1st bike?
Reply #1 - 02/05/11 at 19:45:51

kbb has it at $1120
his is missing parts so less.  new oem, ~$30 a piece.
missing a footpeg = dropped.
now this doesn't entirely scare me away, but you can't ride so I'd walk away.

reliability, I've owned two since 2006, got both with 16k miles on them, one's at 46k and the other is to 40k.  only required work I've done is to put verslavies (cam chain tensioner) in them, rebuild the petcock and clutch springs.  Do the maitenance, keep oil in it and you'll do fine.

BTW, you don't need to own a m/c to take the riders course.  Take it, if it turns out it's not for you then you're only out the course fee.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 02/05/11 at 20:00:46

As you can probably guess, we all love this bike, so we are a bit biased.

As far as turn signals and other parts, cheaper than OEM parts are available.  Search the forum (since you are new here, be sure to change the drop-down menu on your search on the time frame because the default is a week).  There aren't alot of aftermarket parts especially made for this bike, but there are plenty of things that work.  They just don't get advertised exclusively for the bike.  

So.... go for it!  We get alot of comments about the help given by members of this forum and if you stick around, you'll see it.  Lots of knowledgeable folks, and guys who know this bike inside and out.  We're here for ya!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/05/11 at 22:31:01

Just about hafta figure on a new battery. Id want to run some gas outta th tank, into a jar, to see whats slippin past the petcock screen. Actually, draining the carb bowl would do it easier & better.

Id try to use fewer dollars than he wants to buy it. But I wouldnt exactly be skeert of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #4 - 02/06/11 at 04:46:53

A little over a year ago I was right where you are.  Mid 50's and no riding experience.  6' 1" and 350.  I took the class, got my license and bought a '97 Savage.  It has been a GREAT bike.  I have learned so much. I put about 8000 miles on it in a year.  I dropped it twice (both low speed) with no real damage.  I added and changed some things.  I put on a set of Ed L.'s forward controls to give my legs a little more stretch and get more comfortable.  

Baby Hog is right, there are after market parts that will replace the turn signals and mirrors, but you might need to get an OEM peg.  These seem to have a different shape to them, and most of the off-the-shelf pegs I tried needed to some modification or adapters for them.

+1 on the trying to get it a little lower, especially with the missing parts.

If you don't get this one, keep looking.  I didn't notice where you're located, but there is a 2000 w/5k mi for $800 over on the Volusia Riders forum right now.  

http://www.volusiariders.com/51-bikes-sale/210097-650cc-savage-4-sail.html
Good Luck and Ride Safe Wink

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #5 - 02/06/11 at 06:50:12

It could be a bobber project or it could have gone down mirrors and turn signals are what stick out and get damaged first.  Anyways I'd probably offer him 900-1000 for it before I took the 300mi trip.  Tires are really expencive if they are gone(200$-300$)  if you need foot pegs and rear turn signals I have some OEM of both I can ship them all to you proirity mail for 40$.  Left side peg is slightly twisted and they both have alittle road scrapage on them, the turn signals are pretty good a few tiny scratches the full wiring is uncut(unplugged at the harness under the seat).

Oh and take the MSF course it's very valueable.  And with the knowledge learned there and a year of riding under your belt, you'll be a better and safer rider than people who've been riding for years without it.(usually those who get a permit and ride with a permit without ever getting an actual license)

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 08:07:03

I have been riding 40 years never took a rider course,Never been down,I recommend you learn to right the motorcycle yourself.If you can ride a bicycle you can ride a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #7 - 02/06/11 at 09:38:57

I say give the guy a call and ask some more questions. Damage is irrelevent unless the cause is known....for all you know, it may have just fallen over in the garage.
 Sounds like a nice bike given the year and milage. I personally wouldn't negotiate a price until I had more answers and seen & heard the bike in person.
 Good Luck whatever your decision, and as for issues with the bike...Don't worry, the guys and gals on here are Know - It - Alls when it comes to the Savage.....and thats a Good thing for those of us who don't.  Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/06/11 at 10:10:38

I personally wouldn't negotiate a price until I had more answers and seen & heard the bike in person

+1

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:38:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Maybe a '01 Savage for 1st bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.