Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another powder coating question (Read 143 times)
sbaugz
Ex Member

another powder coating question
02/04/11 at 04:18:44

So, I am getting ready to send some parts to have them powder coated. I have a question about the clutch cover. How should I have the powder coaters handle the part of the clutch cover underneath the oil filter cover? Does that whole area underneath the oil filter cover need to be masked off, or should I have them powder coat right up to the part where just the oil filter drops in? Seems like it might be difficult to mask off the exact area around where the oil filter cover bolts on.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: another powder coating question
Reply #1 - 02/04/11 at 05:16:39

OK, you have the surfaces you see when everything is assembled, right? And then there are the surfaces you don't see when everything is assembled. I'd have him mask things so that the color wraps about an eighth inch or so into the areas you don't see. You want to accomplish two things. The first is to keep the coating off the circular mating surface where the O ring creates a seal. The other is to not end the coating right at the edges/corners -- except on the edges where the cover mates to the crankcase, of course.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/11 at 05:21:11

makes sense.
THanks. Steve

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 02/04/11 at 06:09:27

Oh, and keep the coating out of the oil filter cavity, of course.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 02/04/11 at 10:41:35

The guys I have do my stuff know how to do bike parts. Always do only what you can see when fully assembled like was said before. All machined surfaces will be masked off, other wise you won't get your seal.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 02/04/11 at 13:44:56

Rereading what I posted above, I saw that it might not have been clear that the 1/8" thing was just about the area of the clutch cover under the oil filter cover.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/11 at 07:20:35

So I got a bunch of quotes on powder coating the clutch cover, oil filter cover, generator cover, and front fender. Prices include stripping the parts, prepping and masking them, and coating in black. Prices range from $110 to over $200.
I wonder why the large range in prices? Seems like I should just go with cheapest? I can't imagine there is that much variation in quality of work between professional powder coating companies?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 02/05/11 at 09:13:26

That is WAY too high holy crap. I got a TON of stuff done and it wasn't that much. Two spoked rims were only 100 and those are a HUGE PITA to blast and stuff. My side covers and uppers and a bunch of other stuff was like 50.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 02/05/11 at 10:09:08

I've used two different local guys. One is really inexpensive and has a huge color selection. Black? Which of a couple dozen blacks do you want? But he's about 25 miles away with a lot of traffic. I've also needed him to redo a couple of pieces.

The other guy is three miles away but his prices are about two to three times more. He doesn't have the color selection, and his hours are weird, but he does excellent work. Never had a problem.

The first guy makes most of his money from industrial and architectural work -- huge pieces where little flaws can go unnoticed. Motorcycle sized pieces are a different matter. You notice small things. The expensive guy makes most of his money coating car, truck, motorcycle and boat parts. Customers in those markets are used to paying more. Both charge what the market will bear. They just serve different markets.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/05/11 at 14:00:18

Savage_Amusement wrote on 02/05/11 at 09:13:26:
That is WAY too high holy crap. I got a TON of stuff done and it wasn't that much. Two spoked rims were only 100 and those are a HUGE PITA to blast and stuff. My side covers and uppers and a bunch of other stuff was like 50.

Hmm, not sure how you got such a good deal, but $50 seems kinda low to me based on the 6 quotes I got. Seems like it would be way more work than $50 to sandblast, prep, plug holes, mask off and powder coat 4 covers and a front fender. I was thinking the $110 quote sounded pretty decent.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 02/06/11 at 04:53:55

They only charge 50 per rim for any rim, unless you want to get really fancy and start adding layers. I live in Nebraska though, stuff is much cheaper in this area. Plus I send them a lot of business from my friends and let a lot of other shops know about using them. They do everything from car frames to bike parts and really anything you'd ever want to coat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:07:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another powder coating question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.