stuck in white hell (Read 342 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
stuck in white hell
02/01/11 at 18:44:44

well work sends me to the frozen tundra of north central indiana and just in time for the blizzard......left NC at 7AM to Atlanta to South bend noon - snow started 3PM over a foot of snow on the rental car now 930PM.......pictures tomorrow.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: stuck in white hell
Reply #1 - 02/01/11 at 19:16:46

Left work early yesterday, home all day today and also tomorrow.  Roads are glazed with ice.  Lawns, and I presume the park, have crusty ice covered snow, so it's not very good for cross country skiing.  Heck, even our local ski hill is closed because no one can get to it!

Where's some global warming when you need it???

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 02/02/11 at 04:59:33

We are getting it in London Ont now. All schools closed so I get a day off without pay.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/02/11 at 05:30:38

your'e gonna fondly remember all this when glowbull warming kicks in.....
any day now.......
yep.....
any day

IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #4 - 02/02/11 at 08:01:11

Weracerc, I live just a bit west of where you are now and we are getting everything SouthBend is getting and more... I havent seen snow like this for years!! Wish i still had my snowmobile, I sold it due to crappy winters with to little snow to enjoy it..... Undecided

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 02/02/11 at 08:14:44

I surrender. No more snow.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 02/02/11 at 08:22:34

Well, after the unsual winter that was snow free here in eastern Newfoundland until 2 weeks ago, we've been making up for it ever since with off/on snowfall almost every day Sad ... the huge snow storm that hitting north-central-eastern North America is making it's prescence felt ... snowed about 6" the past couple of days ... another 12+" tonight with 60mph winds and temps around 14deg F Angry

Aerial shot of St. John's in winter

Quidi Vidi village near St. John's in winter

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/02/11 at 09:14:42

found this, not sure where it came from, but it may fit this:

December 8 - 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9 - We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12 - The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14 – Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so.  The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks.  This is the life!  The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again.  I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.  I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15 - 20 inches forecast.  Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer.  The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16 - Ice storm this morning. Fell on my tushy on the ice in the driveway putting down salt.  Hurt like hell.  The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17 - Still way below freezing.  Roads are too icy to go anywhere.  Electricity was off for 5 hours.  I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm.  Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her.  Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her.  God I hate it when she's right.  I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20 - Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the darn stuff last night.  More shoveling.  Took all day.  Goddarn snowplow came by twice.  Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey.  I think they're lying.  Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out.  Might have another shipment in March.  I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me.  I think he's lying.

December 22 - Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white nuts fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August.  Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss.  By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again.  I was too tired to shovel.  Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy.  I think the not a very nice person is lying.

December 23 - Only 2" of snow today.  And it warmed up to 0.  The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning.  What is she nuts!!!  Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago?  She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24 - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel.  Thought I was having a heart attack.  If I ever catch the son of a pregnant dog who drives that snow plow I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and beat him to death with my broken shovel.  I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been!  Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the darn snowplow.

December 25 - Merry f---ing Christmas!  20 more inches of the darn slop tonight.  Snowed in.  The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil.  God I hate the snow!  Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.  The wife says I have a bad attitude.  I think she's a fricking idiot.  If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26 - Still snowed in.  Why the hell did I ever move here?  It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27 - Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace the pipe.

December 28 - Warmed up to above -20.  Still snowed in.  THE pregnant dog is driving me crazy!!!

December 29 - 10 more inches.  Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in.  That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30 - Roof caved in.  I beat up the snow plow driver; he is now suing me for a million dollars, not only for the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass.  The wife went home to her mother.  9 inches predicted.

December 31 - I set fire to what's left of the house.  No more shoveling.

January 8 - Feel so good.  I just love those little white pills they keep giving me.  Why am I tied to the bed?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 02/02/11 at 14:20:22

"your'e gonna fondly remember all this when glowbull warming kicks in.....
any day now.......
yep.....
any day"

Goat, this past year has been the hottest on record (planet wise average temperature.) The 2010 meteorological Year has been the warmest ever recorded.

Source: Science Magazine

The 2010 meteorological year, which ended on 30 November, was the warmest in NASA's 130-year record, data posted by the agency today shows. Over the oceans as well as on land, the average global temperature for the 12-month period that began last December was 14.65˚C. That's 0.65˚C warmer than the average global temperature between 1951 and 1980, a period scientists use as a basis for comparison.

The 2010 meteorological year was slightly warmer than the previous warmest year, the 2005 calendar year, when the average temperature was 14.53˚C.

Every time it snows someplace the right wing science challenged laugh it up and say the science is a hoax. I don't think you climate change deniers understand how seasons work.

Heat causes more evaporation of sea water, which feeds into the jetstream, global warming AKA climate change is disrupting the worlds weather including more snow in some areas...but why bother with explanations to those who scoff at science.

Climate is interconnected. Weather is local. Climate change causes weather extremes.

Only stupid people don't understand this.

And if there's no 'belief' in science. You don't 'believe' in global warming or climate change. You either understand it or you don't.

They say "ignorance is bliss" ...(See sig line below).

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 02/02/11 at 14:23:41

Perry, those pictures are beautiful!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #10 - 02/02/11 at 20:42:46

drharveys - FSO wrote on 02/01/11 at 19:16:46:
Where's some global warming when you need it???

Thanks for the explanation, Starlifter!  Yup, climate is global, weather is local, and the weather I want is always somewhere else!  The third part is the application of the principle of the inherent perversity of the universe -- one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 02/03/11 at 01:20:21

My two cents.

Met offices around the workd claim "warmest winter/hottest summer since..."

"So what?" I reply.

Why is it the claim 2005 (or was it 2003?) was the hottest summer in 100 years? Because they only started keeping written records about 100 years ago.

On the other hand, if they asked botanists about climate change, or even a paleontologist, they would smile.

Analyse tree rings from a 400-600 year old tree and you'll be surprised.

According to graphs linked by Verslagen many many months ago, which I printed, our plant is characterized by 3 (three) climate functions or oscillations:
- one has a 400-600 year cycle,
- one has a 12000 year cycle,
- one has a 144000 year cyce.

Analyzing these graphs it is quite evident we are living in a time when these three cycles are overlapping their three highs.

God forbid, when the three cycles overlap their three troughs (lows), it's called... an Ice Age.

Just my two cents.

PS Theree's precious little Man can do about it, like telling kids not to splash seawater when the tide's rising. The tide's rising, and couldn't care less about splashing kids. Period.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/03/11 at 09:12:58

thats crazy talk Pescatori, everybody "knows" that big yellow ball in the sky doesn't affect our weather like what kind of lights I use and how many cow farts are let loose
pffft
and we thought you were a free thinker

(sarcasm btw)

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 02/03/11 at 10:42:24

Would someone please explain to me, or at least point me to a good link, that explains the mechanism by which climate change causes extreme weather.

I found this at a state.gov site: "Carbon dioxide (CO2) from cars, industries and power plants trap heat near the earth's surface. More heat means more energy. Adding so much energy to the atmosphere creates the potential for more extremes."  And then it goes on to outline all the effects.. death, destruction, high timber prices, etc.

Well, "More heat means more energy" doesn't cut it. Regional differences in air temperature (and pressure) are indeed what cause extreme weather. But I don't see how a global increase in temperature increases the pressure/temperature differential required to generate those weather events.  An increase in 0.65C over 100 years pales in comparison to the daily temperature swings caused by the earth's rotation.  And what keeps that 0.65C increase concentrated in areas that would magnify weather events, and out of areas where the warmth would mellow the weather out?  A uniformly warm system has no more usable energy than a uniformly cool system.  That's not science-denial, it's just basic thermodynamics.

I understand how a small change over a large area can funnel down to a large change in a small area, for example a slight breeze across the fruited plain turning into high winds between two mountains.  Or a small increase in evaporation over an entire ocean causing a buildup of clouds that end up dumping a lot of rain or snow on a small town. Again, I don't see how a global temperature change makes a difference.  If the high temperature areas are heated an extra degree, so should be cold areas, making for no increase in the difference.  If the atmosphere in general is heated to where it can hold more moisture, then it just does hold more moisture, and there is nothing inherent to the heat itself that would keep a "hot side hot, cold side cold" and cause high winds, or for precipitation to select anywhere in particular to fall.

I understand there can be catastrophic runaway cycles like the greenhouse effect on Venus.. and that (thankfully) there are limit cycles, like the increased cloud cover bouncing more sunlight back into space so the earth absorbs less heat.. or the increased absorption of CO2 by plants, a portion of which will eventually fold into the earth's crust just as plants did to make the fossil fuels we are burning now (geologic timescale, yes we know..)

Sure, there are correlations between the current warm period and extreme weather events.. and the perennial news-puke going on about a typhoon or record temperature in this or that location.  Those correlations may well have a causal mechanism behind them that I am not seeing.  Maybe there is a good paper on it that someone can point me to.  Have researchers run computer models with the air at one temperature, then raised it half a degree and found a higher incidence of storms?  And if they have, have they got a nutshell explanation for us laymen?  Understanding how it works would go a long way toward people accepting that there is a causal relationship at all, and not just write it off as media hype. I'd never expect someone who is even remotely scientific in their thinking to accept the word "science" as an explanation.

If the extra CO2 is causing an increased temperature gradient with respect to elevation, I can see that increasing weather activity in general.  That is how lava lamps work. The bulb heats the bottom, the waxy stuff melts and expands, rises to the top, cools and drops.  Put the same lava lamp in an oven and heat it uniformly, and nothing will move.  So under the lava lamp theory  Cheesy  I don't think global warming is bad per se.  But then, to heat a lava lamp in an oven is analogous to heating the whole earth & atmosphere evenly..  probably not what's meant by "climate change."

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/03/11 at 11:39:56

Its just another bogeyman that so called leaders use to increase power to fleece and control the masses.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:49:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › stuck in white hell

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.