Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rider deaths could bring 50 years (Read 91 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Rider deaths could bring 50 years
02/01/11 at 12:59:00

Rider deaths could bring 50 years

By Andrew J. Nelson
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Prosecutors are recommending that the pickup truck driver accused in the deaths of four motorcyclists in a crash near Little Sioux, Iowa, be sentenced to 50 years in prison.
Andrew Schlichtemeier, 22, faces four counts of vehicular homicide in the deaths of Jay Bock, of Omaha; Steven Benscoter of Pacific Junction, Iowa; and Dale Aspedon and Dennis Chaney, both of Glenwood, Iowa.

The four were returning from Sturgis, S.D., when the collision occurred on Aug. 9, 2010.

The maximum sentence on each charge is 25 years in prison.

According to a plea agreement filed Monday with the district court for Harrison County, prosecutors recommend that Schlichtemeier be sentenced to the maximum on each count, with two terms running consecutively and the other two being served at the same time.

The agreement has been in the works for some time. A plea hearing is set for Feb. 10.

“I knew it was going to happen, so it’s not a surprise,” said Suzie Bock, sister of motorcyclist Jay Bock. “It somehow feels — good isn’t the right word — but it’s nice someone on his side is finally saying the word, guilty, since it was so blatant.”

Schlichtemeier’s lawyer, Steve Lefler, said Tuesday that he hadn’t seen a copy of the final agreement and declined to comment on it.

He said there is a “very slight” possibility the case could still go to trial, because “nothing becomes final until a judge accepts it.”

According to authorities, Schlichtemeier was driving a pickup truck that struck the four motorcycle riders as they passed through a two-lane construction zone on Interstate 29.

The Iowa State Patrol said Schlichtemeier’s blood-alcohol level measured .373 percent, more than four times the legal limit.

Suzie Bock, who also is a cousin of Chaney, said she and other family members of the motorcyclists had met with Harrison County Attorney Jennifer Mumm about a month ago to discuss terms of a possible plea deal.

“Everyone I know wants him in jail for a hundred years,” Bock said. “But that’s just not going to happen.”

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rider deaths could bring 50 years
Reply #1 - 02/01/11 at 21:56:05

Quote:
The Iowa State Patrol said Schlichtemeier’s blood-alcohol level measured .373 percent, more than four times the legal limit.

... didn't think you could be that drunk, and still be alive...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 02/02/11 at 05:26:48

What ever happened to the dump truck driver that mowed down that group of motorcycles... I think it was in Arizona, right?  I don't remember hearing what his sentence was.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 02/02/11 at 08:18:16

We had gotten back from Sturgis not long before that on that same stretch of road. It isn't far from where I live in Omaha. The people are greatly missed in the community. I knew a few of them from bike night and have been to the bar the other guy worked at.

I think he should have gotten more time.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:16:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rider deaths could bring 50 years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.