Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensioner (Read 367 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensioner
01/28/11 at 00:08:50

This is an unproven experiment -- do not do this trick until it is proven out.  

This post is written at EXPERT LEVEL discussing a potential new rework method -- it is a thought provoker, not a rework method (yet).

proving out a trick like this takes years and years of running time, so be patient

OK, we currently do this:

and in result we get some retarded cam timing by 7-10 degrees or there abouts by the time we wear it out.  This isn't a big issue to us right now but it is there and we know it ....  and there isn't anything we can do about it anyway.

The raised right side shows where the cam is rotated "backwards" by all the cam chain slack being taken up on the left side by the extended cam chain adjuster -- this rotation only gets worse as the second life of the extended cam chain tensioner system rolls on through.

=======================

But ..... what if  ???

What if we took out the chain wear on the front (right) side by bowing the stationary cam chain guide outwards?

Photos that follow show a trial mock up of such a system which is done simply to show the concept has a functional pathway to follow and has some results that might be worth pursuing.

I had a motor with a well worn set of guides and a half done chain and some extra fiddle time to play with it.  The main challenge in moving the stationary guide forward was that the aluminum housings all have casting draft and the back of the plastic coated steel chain guide isn't flat (it is concave with blockish squarish injection molding features on it).   Spacing it out wouldn't be square if you put something square behind it.

Round rod (dowel) stock has good features for the use though -- the half inch round stock shown fits nicely in the groove in the back of the stationary guide, bridging over the squarish injection molding features and forcing the stationary guide into a bow shape with the rod/dowel acting as the string so to speak.   A bevel on the inserted end of the rod is needed to "ride over" or "bump past" the injection molded squarish features when you stuff the rod in place by lightly tapping it home.

The round rod self centers on the chain guide groove and since it only contacts the off kilter aluminum housing in a single contact line it is not tilted or influenced overmuch by the casting draft in the housing.

A potential tight spot is created where the chain loads on to the small sprocket -- I think this will rapidly wear into the plastic surface of the chain guide though to the point the stress is relieved.   Mind you, these are the original chain guides, so they will need replacement anyway when a new chain goes into place after this second life of the cam chain is used up.

Tensioner has almost all of its travel restored -- 22mm worth or there abouts.   You only have 19.3mm of distance until the chain hits itself, so the announcement of "time to tear it down again" should be a nice loud whirring contact noise of chain to chain.

Now -- why might this be worth pursuing?

You get cam being advanced a tad at the start of the wear in, instead of being retarded.   It will wear in to "normal" and likely not get any further retarded at the end of life than the system does now by the first tensioner protrusion life (first life).

And we won't say anything about the fix being easy or cheap or that somebody could sell a kit with a tube of epoxy and a piece of aluminum bar stock with some nice neat instructions.

We will reserve all of that until the idea proves itself out (or it fails miserably, who knows?)

And that will be years from now as this is my backup engine and my primary engine is doing jest fine right now ....

But, it is a thought to consider -- what do you see that is wrong with it (other than the use of wood of course).   It does achieve tensioner reset without requiring a weld up job, it allows the use of used worn guides and it gets your cam timing run all the way back to zero (or slightly advanced) instead of retarding the nuts out of it ....

What'cha think?  

Huh

« Last Edit: 01/28/11 at 07:08:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensio
Reply #1 - 01/28/11 at 00:37:29

And yes, add this innovation to the long list of innovations that were made possible by Serenity donating his old blown motor to the investigative cause.

Serenity wanted him a rework method for the cam bearing death syndrome, he got that plus a bunch more as the work progressed.

=========

Anybody got any extra valve covers?   I need two as the engine didn't come with any.  

And a large cam end rubber plug (used) if anybody has a used one still sitting around.    That's the BIG rubber head plug that gets sandwiched between the cover and the head when you put the two together.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/28/11 at 08:03:34

I think in this case you want a glass cam bore cover so you can monitor cam timing.   Cool

And put a little white paint on those marks.

1st impression, the plastic on these guides aren't the greatist.
2. You'll be pinching the bottom as the guide is supported bellow the drive gear.  This situation will soon remedy itself (see #1)

Sounds like the back up engine should be the tried and true and the test engine installed.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 01/28/11 at 09:10:47

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/28/11 at 00:08:50:

..in result we get some retarded cam timing by 7-10 degrees or there abouts by the time we wear it out.  This isn't a big issue to us right now but it is there and we know it ....  and there isn't anything we can do about it anyway.

Why not just bump the cam ahead one tooth at the time you go the 2nd hole on verslagen's tensioner?  There's what, 40 teeth on the cam sprocket?  360/40=9 degrees advance.  One tooth should almost perfectly compensate for the extra length of chain.  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/28/11 at 09:13:05

Aren't there more stresses on the leading edge (front), than the trailing edge (rear) of the driving gear?...
So,.. the slack is better taken up on the backside?...

... and yes,.. I'm thinking far beyond my head here... so if you tell me I'm wrong,.. I'll agree completely...

... also,.. regardless of slack on the trailing side... if the leading side is tight and the timing marks are lined up... is it still retarded by the stretch?...
... or am I?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 01/28/11 at 09:30:42

Oh I get it.  Oldfeller wants the tensioner to bow the pull side and slack side evenly.  Which would advance the timing as opposed to having a straight pull.  I don't think it's a good idea because in actual running the chain will want very strongly to pull straight.  If there is something rigid holding the right tensioner shoe bowed like that, I think the chain will saw through the shoe prematurely.  But let's see how the experiment plays out..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/28/11 at 10:23:45

Boule’tard wrote on 01/28/11 at 09:10:47:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/28/11 at 00:08:50:

..in result we get some retarded cam timing by 7-10 degrees or there abouts by the time we wear it out.  This isn't a big issue to us right now but it is there and we know it ....  and there isn't anything we can do about it anyway.

Why not just bump the cam ahead one tooth at the time you go the 2nd hole on verslagen's tensioner?  There's what, 40 teeth on the cam sprocket?  360/40=9 degrees advance.  One tooth should almost perfectly compensate for the extra length of chain.  

Something's wrong with those numbers, can't say exactly, but something's wrong.

Chain pitch = 0.25"
That's a hell of a lot of stretch to jump one pitch.
Previously, I calculated  about .010" chain stretch = 1° of cam retardation.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/28/11 at 10:31:35

Boule's got a valid point about stress wanting to straighten the bowed front guide back out, and it can to a degree.   Every big single power pulse will send a tension wave up the right hand side of the chain to the cam sprocket which will pull any available slack out of the front side.

Wood isn't an ideal material, if the idea works it will likely get revisited by the creative among us to seek to overcome the challenges that it reveals.  But right now I like it for the fact it will bend to conform if the pressure gets high enough to force it to do so.   It will act as a shock absorber to the individual power pulse tension waves, as will the unsupported guide "bow" it supports.

Why wood?  Hardwood dowel material is strong (in short sections like this it is very strong, more rigid than the relatively flimsy cam chain guide on either side actually) and it can flex and rebound without loading the shite out of the rest of the system if forces get that high.  

Wood is also porous, and will embed a slow setting epoxy bond much better than smooth plastic or metal.   Did you notice the stick was epoxied to the guide and to the curved aluminum housing to keep it from going any place?    it is trapped by the concave surface of the back of the bowed front guide and can't go anywhere, so the epoxy is just some extra "belt and suspenders" thinking.

Lastly, if the stick manages to get loose and hits a running main gear it gets converted into sawdust rather than breaking some major expensive things.

Lastly, it is so wonderfully inelegant, cheap and simple .... if it works out well it would be a solution worthy of Master Yoda himself.

and maybe I'll finally get my brown hooded robe and full Jedi status ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/28/11 at 10:37:56

Serowbot wrote on 01/28/11 at 09:13:05:
Aren't there more stresses on the leading edge (front), than the trailing edge (rear) of the driving gear?...
So,.. the slack is better taken up on the backside?...

... and yes,.. I'm thinking far beyond my head here... so if you tell me I'm wrong,.. I'll agree completely...

... also,.. regardless of slack on the trailing side... if the leading side is tight and the timing marks are lined up... is it still retarded by the stretch?...
... or am I?... Huh...

I think gear teeth stress here can be totally ignored.
No evidence of failure... ever.
Chain stress is evident from the wear points in the pins.
At speed, the main load the chain sees is centrifrugal,  and the chain will float thru the bend with the contact points at the begin and ending tangents.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/28/11 at 10:59:09

Just slot the cam gear holes.

I have an adjustable cam gear on my 2.3L ford race motor made by Esslimger Engineering. Makes it simple to adjust cam timing.

And yes, the chain will eat up anything in contact with it on the 'tight' side. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 01/28/11 at 11:36:39

verslagen1 wrote on 01/28/11 at 10:23:45:
Something's wrong with those numbers, can't say exactly, but something's wrong.

Chain pitch = 0.25"
That's a hell of a lot of stretch to jump one pitch.
Previously, I calculated  about .010" chain stretch = 1° of cam retardation.

Whoo boy, here comes a math puzzle  Cheesy

Looking closely at the gear on Oldfeller's crankshaft I see it is a 19-toother, meaning the cam gear must be 38 teeth to get the 2:1 ratio.  If the chain pitch is 0.25" then the circumference of the cam gear is 38x0.25 or 9.5".  

Divide by 2(pi) and the radius of the cam gear comes out to 1.512".

To get one degree of cam retardation, the gear's tangent would have to move 1.512 * sin(1 degree) or 0.0264 inches.  To get the 9 or so degrees Oldfeller is seeing, the chain must have stretched (in the distance between gear tangents) 9*0.0264 or 0.238 inches.. roughly one tooth.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 01/28/11 at 12:24:35

I don't know how to spell that sound that Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor makes, but that's what I'm thinking while reading this thread.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/28/11 at 12:45:30

Math?  I got CAD.

Given those gear diameters and 12" between gears...
And the max stretch of .07 over 5" of chain...
max angle is 6.4° with a distance of .168" at the circumference.
No where near a pitch distance and too much advance for good running.

Sure have to wonder how much margin you have with a lancer cam.     Huh

(piglet, shhh, I'm trying to keep a straight face)

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 01/28/11 at 13:33:28

Wooden pressure treated wood work better the pressure wooden bother it. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 01/28/11 at 13:48:45

verslagen1 wrote on 01/28/11 at 12:45:30:
.. max stretch of .07 over 5" of chain...
max angle is 6.4°...

Pshaw.  Are those Suzuki service limits, or Oldfeller service limits?  Wink

You could let the timing retard down to negative 6.4° then bumping a tooth would bring you to only +2.6° enabling you to run one of Lancer's hot cams.

grunt grUNNT..

<scratches butt>

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:36:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.