Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensioner (Read 367 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensio
Reply #15 - 01/28/11 at 14:07:09

Having just done it, one tooth is a WHOLE LOT of rotation.  

We've had this discussion before, when somebody wanted to take a pitch out of the chain to tighten it up ...  an entire link's worth is a whole lot of distance (many times the amounts we are talking for total wear amounts).

-- our wear amount from new chain to dead chain is worth maybe a pins worth of wear distance (little more than 1/8")

-- wear on the guides counts for about as much as chain wear does towards giving "too much slack" to a stock cam chain adjuster's original travel.

NO ONE has ever worn through the plastic on a set of guides yet, that I remember  hearing about anyway.   Maybe I'll get to be the very first one.  

Cracks, yes they all develop cracks during the first run at their jobs and some edge stuff begins breaking off during the second life time -- but no gross wear throughs noted so far.   Guide channels are not immortal any more than the silly chains are.

============

And Bill, mine is going to be Rotella oil impregnated pressure treated hard wood -- that's extra special.  

And my hardwood rod was cut from a American Magic Hickory Tree, so I will have magic Rotella impregnated Hickory sparkles right in my engine acting magically all the time -- better than your old red pixie dust magic any day.

Grin   Grin   Grin

.... and it isn't going anywhere until one of you jokers finds a set of valve covers and a big rubber cam end plug thingie so I can finish putting it together.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/28/11 at 14:40:40

yannow, seafoam would prolly treat that wood better.
just sayin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/28/11 at 23:52:21

OF, I didnt read the whole thing, so, maybe Im outta line here, But hey! Thats never stopped me before, right?

Just wanted to say, I spent some time warping on my guide to accomplish that, didnt stuff anything in, but my guide BROKULATED,,& the end O the tensioner fell down & was bouncing around on the gear, still attached to a Very Short piece of chain guide. . It didnt come apart, because of the little wire I had in it, else I woulda had a sproing flinging around,,

Ahd be Right careful there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/29/11 at 02:21:01

That's OK Justin, all input is appreciated.   Sounds like you had a failure of the left hand (rear) normal moving adjuster guide piece during a second life (or was it third life?) after hand bending it strongly to take up the same slop I am taking up by gently single bending and reinforcing the right hand (front) guide.

You bustulated the other one, not the one I am messing wid.

Now, did you have any major damage to the inner gears, etc, or jest a bunch of noise when yours went?  

I'm asking because second (and third) life re-use of the cam chain guides is taking place a lot during these here hard hard recessionary times.

And that left hand large bottom sheet metal guide piece does jest hang out there in space with the cam tensioner spring telling it all the time to go that-a-way and the moving cam chain itself saying go this-a-way and it has a right rough row to hoe by the time it gets to the end of its second or third use life ....

Grin

And remember as you go through your various cognitive processes, there is 1/2" hardwood dowel stock, 5/8" hardwood dowel stock and 3/4" hardwood dowel stock all readily available at your local hardware or artsy craftsy store.

I used 1/2" diameter because I had it on hand and I was jest fiddlin' with the idea.  
5/8" would likely be about the ideal size with 3/4 being kinda too big diameter wise but a small flat could be put on each side to keep it properly centered with the guide.  

Length needs to get shorter as dowel diameter goes up -- larger diameters are stronger and less flexible (if that's what you think you want).

Grin

« Last Edit: 01/31/11 at 18:10:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/29/11 at 06:47:02

Yeaaa, yer rite,, IDK how I managed to forget, but it was the left side, it hangs from that chrome bolt. I also have no idea just how long it was like that. Reason for goin in was the clutch actuation paddle broke. Wear marks were at almost zero, so, how long was it hanging loose? I doubt very long at all, a completely loose cam chain aint liable to run too long, izzitt? Im pretty sure Id notice a racket like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/29/11 at 13:39:40

I think that the idea is a worthy attempt to solve both the chain stretch problem and the subsequent alteration of cam shaft timing.  As several people have indicated the tension side of the chain will always want to straingten out and will increase the wear on a guide that has been bowed.  How long will it last is, as you said, a matter of experimentation.

Long long ago when I was a kid I had a primary drive chain tensioner on a British twin wear through what appeared to be a neoprene wear surface and into the heavy cast tensioner.  I managed to get a peice of solid industrial grade nylon and I heated up the cast tensioner guide and melted it into the nylon.  It stayed put and I shaped the nylon down to the correct contour and the tensioner worked like a charm.  The heavy chain slid over that nylon like nothing was there and neither the chain links or the nylon showed any wear.

I got the title for my S40 today but because of the snow the bike hasn't been delivered yet, it might be a month before I see it again.  I am anxious to get my hands on some of these parts you guys talk about.  That chain looks adequate for the job and so it seems to stretch prematurely but I like to get my hands on things before making any judgements.

I would guess that the Suzuki designers didn't do a better job on the tensioner because they expected the chain to be replaced by the time it stretched enough that it changed the valve timing.  Thing is, it should last longer but I love these techniques you guys are perfecting to keep these machines running without spending a fortune on maintenance.  I look forward to getting involved in the effort and until then I enjoy reading about everyone's efforts and thoughts.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inelegant Stick Experiment -- cam chain tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.