Send Topic Print
Uh-Oh (Read 660 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Uh-Oh
Reply #15 - 01/26/11 at 10:00:18

Then maybe you could see what Tjfisher can do for you. He's parting out the engine. I have the cylinder, but the rest might still be available.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294277660

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #16 - 01/26/11 at 10:04:29

Good lookin out! I just PM'd him. Thanks

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #17 - 01/26/11 at 16:27:46

Just found out a friend of a friend is willing to do me a huge favor and bore it out for $20! Now I'm looking at pistons, Wiseco PN 4597M09700 looks to be tried and true. Think that's the winner. Going to get one ASAP so I can ship it with the cylinder to get bored/honed. Looks like I'm looking at $160-$200 for the piston/rings/wrist pin/clips, plus $20 for the bore, another $17(i think) for the crankpin, and maybe new bearings as well (won't know until I open her up), he also says the head can be welded/repair but i don't know how much that'll run me yet, and then new valves. so we will see, but it looks like I may not break the bank after all.  Smiley

IP Logged
Kris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/27/11 at 08:02:27

I just had this exact same issue on my bike last week. The same valve broke off and ping ponged inside my cylinder only to get lodged in the other exhaust valve. All this happened right after I put a new piston/rings and had the cylinder honed out. Hooray for money down the drain.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #19 - 01/27/11 at 08:14:06

Kris wrote on 01/27/11 at 08:02:27:
I just had this exact same issue on my bike last week. The same valve broke off and ping ponged inside my cylinder only to get lodged in the other exhaust valve. All this happened right after I put a new piston/rings and had the cylinder honed out. Hooray for money down the drain.

Any way to know if it was BECAUSE of the new piston, or just coincidental?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Kris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/27/11 at 08:22:17

I think it was just coincidental. Because she ran great for about 3 months when it developed a valve tap. It was only 3 days after the valve tap that it failed.

IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/28/11 at 03:56:22

Is it just me...? I cant see the pictures

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 01/28/11 at 04:02:49

Maybe if you open the thread again..? Pics are there, showing a missing valve & damage on the head & such

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #23 - 01/28/11 at 06:18:38

Images "moved or deleted" at photobucket (photobucket!  Angry)  Let's see if they will bequeath unto us the images again.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #24 - 01/28/11 at 07:16:03

Sorry, probably my fault. Here they are again.

on the bright side, i finally posted my own pictures the right way Smiley

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 01/28/11 at 07:19:36

Good job at re-posting the pics yourself!

(it would be nice if you'd go back to your first post, and edit out the links, and add a note that the pics are on page 2.  Or just add them to the initial post and delete your last post....  just my .02)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #26 - 05/05/11 at 09:42:00

Well, it's been a while since all this happened. I didn't have the cash to get everything fixed very quickly. Been bumming rides ever since. So, I pulled the motor, and bought a 97 mm Wiseco piston. I had the cylinder bored and got a new(to me) head. Inspected the crankcase and inner working to remove some debris (piston pieces) and see if there was any damage. I got very luck that there was no damage inside the crankcase. I had thought the original ticking was the cam chain so I had bought the verlsavy already. I put it all back together and she fired right up. But she is STILL ticking. When i was putting it back together I noticed that both the cam and the rocker arms appeared worn (the cam even seemed to have flat spots) but I just wanted to be certain I hadn't screwed anything up so I put it back together. A new cam and rocker arms should be arriving tomorrow. And I'll be at work again opening up the head. If this doesn't fix the ticking, I'll have to take it to someone much more qualified than me. Wish me luck!

oh, also I happened to come across an '86 Savage on Craigslist for $400 and couldn't resist. The guy seems legit, and he said it started when he bought it, but in the process of working on it he caused a short. I bought it and my intention is that if after this weekend something goes wrong with my motor, I may swap the motors and CDI... anyone see an issue with that? I know about the starter gear in the pre '90s bikes and how they sometimes break through the case, but since those gears and case are fine on my '97 I should be able to steal the parts from that bike right?

Either way, I should have some bike parts for sale very soon, in case anyone is interested. I wouldn't mind parting it out or selling outright to someone.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Hope everyone has a fun and safe cinco de mayo!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 05/05/11 at 10:17:05

What parts are you gonna sell?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #28 - 05/05/11 at 10:57:13

ralfyguy wrote on 05/05/11 at 10:17:05:
What parts are you gonna sell?

provided I don't need anything, I'll be selling everything.

if I do use the motor, then everything else.

and I'll post pics of the bike shortly. When I do start to sell it I'll be sure to post it in the marketplace.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uh-Oh

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.