Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Random Dead Miss When Cold (Read 77 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Random Dead Miss When Cold
05/04/11 at 17:21:51

Here's a problem I've been having, and it's getting worse. Whenever the bike is cold--when 1st starting up--I have to turn throttle stop screw almost all the way in to get it to idle. Once running, it has a random dead miss when idling. The RPM's seem to pick up, and the dead miss seems to go away gradually, as the bike warms up. I back off the throttle stop screw about 2 1/2 turns as it warms up, also. Once it gets to operating temp, all seems ok.
I do show some oil leakage around where the head gasket is. I am getting that fixed in about 2 weeks. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the dead miss? (Like, as motor heats up, things expand and seal up) Or does it sound more like a carb problem?
I am also having the frozen mixture screw fixed at the same time, as this is directly related to the idle circuit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Random Dead Miss When Cold
Reply #1 - 05/04/11 at 19:25:49

I'd have to guess that you're having issues cause the idle circuit is shut down.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/04/11 at 20:47:49

You didn't say where your choke is set when you crank it. I always use first notch on choke or mine won't idle. My idle speed is set high enough to keep the oil flowing. In temps below 40 I have to use full choke. In either case I push in the choke at the first stop sign I come to a mile from my house.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/04/11 at 23:13:11

Quote:
Once running, it has a random dead miss when idling.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it really is a "dead miss", I'd be looking for a bad plug, or a weak ign spark.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/05/11 at 05:58:07

Choke all the way out to start. Throttle stop screw all the way in to start. Again, as it warms up, it gets better, and I'm able to back off throttle stop screw gradually. Choke in about 2 minutes after startup.
I was thinking electrical too, but again, when fully warmed up, it runs fine. If it was something electrical, I would think it would do it all the time. I'm hoping by getting the mixture screw replaced, and another good cleaning will solve the problem. I agree with Verslagen, that it sounds like an idle circuit problem.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/05/11 at 07:26:39

I'm wondering if it is much different than normal.

When I first start, (full choke) I usually play w/ the throttle a little, kinda like the real bikers do, Grin then after a few sec, I drop to 1 notch choke while still playing w/ the throttle a bit. After another 30 secs or so, and if I'm lucky, it will idle at 1 notch choke. After another couple minutes it will probably idle w/ no choke,........but I'm usually at the first stop sign by then.
But no way would I adjust the throttle stop screw when not fully warmed up,.....it not there for that purpose.

Anymore, I usually get ready to roar off before ever starting the bike. As soon as I get down to 1 notch choke, I got it on the hind wheel ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 05/05/11 at 07:34:03

Could the idle jet be clogged?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/05/11 at 14:58:36

I was thinking that too, but I've rebuilt this carb like, 5 times in the last two years. Most recently, this past winter. The only thing I didn't remove and clean was that dam mixture screw. (It's froze in place with a booged up slot.) Once I get that dam screw out, I can clean and blow out behind it. I'm hoping this solves the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Random Dead Miss When Cold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.