Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good Morning from Labrador! (Read 162 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Good Morning from Labrador!
01/18/11 at 02:57:41

Rise and shine folks! PerrydaSavage is coming at you this morning from the town of Churchill Falls, smack dab in the interior of Labrador and home to one of the largest hydro electric power projects in the world ... right now at 6:50am its a bone chilling -29 deg Celsius! Brrrrrrrr!!! Shoulda packed my woolies!

Sent up here for a few days to oversee some engineering retrofits to a vehicle maintenance shop ... I have NEVER experienced cold like this before!

Have a great day folks!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Good Morning from Labrador!
Reply #1 - 01/18/11 at 03:46:03

Cool Perry, that is about -20 farenhieght for us in the states.  It is a balmy 39 here this morning.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 01/18/11 at 05:13:37

That's a beautiful picture Perry.  Hope you get to have some fun while you're there.

And once I see a minus sign, that's just downright COLD, no matter what you put behind it.  So I'm sending you a big warm HUG.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/18/11 at 07:37:14

Perry -

Since you're an engineer, plesae explain to me the common sense of using Celsius (centigrade to us OFs) instead of Fahrenheit, which is far more accurate.

In Celsius, water freezes at 0 and boils at 100; so there are 100 degrees between the two points.

In Fahrenheit, water freezes at 32, and boils at 212, so there are 180 degrees between the same two reference points.  Almost twice as many as in Celsius.

But unless you express temperature in fractions of a degree, Celsius is far less accurate.  So why does the world want to use a less accurate method of measuring temps?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 01/18/11 at 08:16:11

Awesome pic, and I'd LOVE to go riding snowmobiles, haven't done that in many years.  But that's just pretty dang cold, no matter what scale you're using! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 01/18/11 at 08:36:38

Here in the work camp now, having a lunch break ... still -20 deg C or so ... still cold enough to freeze the balls on brass monkey preachermike!

Jerry; I have NO friggin' idea bud!! LOL!! We use the Celsius scale for temp. ONLY because the Canadian govt. deemed it so back in the late 70's ... prior to that we used the same systems of measurement as you Yanks ... excepting for gallons ... our gallons were larger than yours ... now our liters are smaller! LOL!!

Babyhog ... thanks for the BIG, warm hug!

John ... I didn't take that pic ... it's one I scabbed off of the Internet to give y'all an idea what the lay of the land is like all the way up here! And yes, riding snowmobiles is fun ... but not as fun as motorcycles!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #6 - 01/18/11 at 10:00:06

Still a great pic.
I had one season on a sled. Of course the year I got it was one with little or no snow in Southern Maine. We had to haul the rigs up to Aroostook County and Quebec to get some decent riding in.
My wife made me get rid of it the next year. She did not like me coming in smelling like a chain saw exhaust! Grin
No, they don't compare to riding a bike IMO. Staying off the bikes during the winter just makes you look forward to and appreciate the coming riding season.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 01/18/11 at 11:19:47

Jeeze Perry, that is plain cold where your at. What in the world did you do to warrant being sent to that cold of an area? Did you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar again? Wink
Sending you warm hugs and will have a cup of hot coco for you. Take care and send pics if you can..Take care, Smiley kim

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #8 - 01/18/11 at 12:07:57

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/18/11 at 07:37:14:
Perry -

Since you're an engineer, plesae explain to me the common sense of using Celsius (centigrade to us OFs) instead of Fahrenheit, which is far more accurate.

In Celsius, water freezes at 0 and boils at 100; so there are 100 degrees between the two points.

In Fahrenheit, water freezes at 32, and boils at 212, so there are 180 degrees between the same two reference points.  Almost twice as many as in Celsius.

But unless you express temperature in fractions of a degree, Celsius is far less accurate.  So why does the world want to use a less accurate method of measuring temps?

I only use the Kelvin scale, personally!
Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/18/11 at 12:14:02

runwyrlph wrote on 01/18/11 at 12:07:57:
Perry -

Grin

Rankine is more precise.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/18/11 at 12:31:15

Once "Miserable" is reached, what the temp is becomes purely academic.
But, If I am stuck out in it, I wanna know what it is, so I can justify all the whining.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 01/18/11 at 13:24:52

verslagen1 wrote on 01/18/11 at 12:14:02:
runwyrlph wrote on 01/18/11 at 12:07:57:
Perry -

Grin

Rankine is more precise.   Grin

cool - learned someting new today!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/18/11 at 21:51:46

Down here,... we question the sanity of people in that kinda' weather...
... and that pains me, Perry...  'cause I think you're smarter than me...

Stay warm...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 01/19/11 at 02:22:11

No way I'm smarter than you Serowbot ... or anyone else here at Suzukisavage.com for that matter!

As for my sanity ... well, that's a whole other issue ... but up here in the Great White North, you do what ya gotta do if ya wanna keep the bank off of your back!

BTW, here in Churchill Falls it's positively tropical this morning as compared to yesterday ... it's up to -20C! Wink

Will be heading back down south to St. John's in a few days ...

Have a great day folks!

WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/19/11 at 09:40:20

after this, you'll probably be wearing shorts and t shirts at spring thaw
and feel like your breaking a sweat

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 06:55:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Good Morning from Labrador!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.