Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock / Carb / Tank ? (Read 125 times)
ocdave
Ex Member

Petcock / Carb / Tank ?
01/14/11 at 19:58:51

I'm replacing my petcock on my Calif model 1995 project savage with a non vacuum raptor petcock. I think I remember reading that a non-vacuum petcock needs a vented gas tank. Is this the case? Is the CA model vented? I understand that I need to block off the vacuum port on the carb. I removed the CA charcoal canister. Can I block off those port (s) as well? The California carb seems to have quite a few ports. I understand that the rest are vent lines. I can't seem to recall which ones were the vent lines to the canister. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Petcock / Carb / Tank ?
Reply #1 - 01/14/11 at 20:15:32

You'll have to get a vented cap to block off the tank vent.  just put a cheapie screen type not paper type fuel filter on the vent hose.

the two on top are vents, there are two lines that run up to a hole in the frame above the carb.

on cali carbs there is a second vac port on the same side as the petcock vac port, plug it.

WWW   IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/14/11 at 21:17:13

verslagen1 wrote on 01/14/11 at 20:15:32:
You'll have to get a vented cap to block off the tank vent.  just put a cheapie screen type not paper type fuel filter on the vent hose.

the two on top are vents, there are two lines that run up to a hole in the frame above the carb.

on cali carbs there is a second vac port on the same side as the petcock vac port, plug it.

Thanks, that clears up a lot. But let me clarify a couple of things. Is the tank vented on the underside. I don't have a hose attached to it but there is a elbowed port on the underside of the front of the tank. Should I run a hose down to the carb? And is this the hose I should attach with the screen type filter? Also, I see what you say is the additional vacuum port on the left side of the carb. That leaves two vent ports? Should I run these down to the bottom of the frame? Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/14/11 at 21:27:44

Here is a pic of the line you need to block (right arrow)(left arrow points the the vacuum line you no longer need)  Block that vacuum tap with something more substantial than vacuum line or it will rot though... I used a screw, then covered it with a rubber cap)... the other two small lines off the bottom of the carb, are float vents,... they go to nothing, zip tied to the frame, above the carb.  They must be open, to vent air , and be higher than the carb...

Cal. model tanks, vent to the charcoal canister, US models vent out the cap...
If you don't want to change or modify your cap to vent,.. just make sure you have a hose attached to the tank vent elbow that goes up above the full gas level in the tank... You can put a filter on the end or not, it just has to terminate higher than the gas level in a full tank...
Otherwise,.. it will dribble gas... Wink...

If you are a fiddler, like me,... you can take apart the gas cap, and find the rubber plug in there that blocks the vent.  Replace it with a BB... I can't be more specific, because I've never done it with a Suzuki,... but I've done it with a Yamaha...  so, no guarantees there...
If you do it,.. you can then block off the tank's elbow vent.
If you don't,... that vent must be open to atmosphere, to allow the gas to flow...
Hope that helps...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/14/11 at 22:39:37

Serowbot wrote on 01/14/11 at 21:27:44:
Hope that helps...

Helps a ton. Thanks guys!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/14/11 at 23:18:21

seitz729 wrote on 01/14/11 at 21:17:13:
Thanks, that clears up a lot. But let me clarify a couple of things. Is the tank vented on the underside. I don't have a hose attached to it but there is a elbowed port on the underside of the front of the tank. Should I run a hose down to the carb?

It doesn't go to the carb, but maybe a good place to tuck it would be the hole in the frame where the vent hoses go.

Quote:
And is this the hose I should attach with the screen type filter?

Yes, I've been thinking of putting a filter on this hose, but I think I'll do as I said above.

Quote:
Also, I see what you say is the additional vacuum port on the left side of the carb.

oops, my other left.  both vac ports are on the right side, one about 3/16", the other about an 1/8", cap both.

Quote:
That leaves two vent ports? Should I run these down to the bottom of the frame? Thanks again for your help.

nope, there a hole in the frame right above the carb, stick them in there.

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/29/14 at 16:45:50

Hi Serobot,
I have a california 2007 s40 ryca cs1 conversion where they chopped the tank and plugged the vent. I also recently installed a raptor petcock. Should I pull out the rubber from the gas cap? Also what did you mean by replace it with a BB? I notices the cap meows from time to time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock / Carb / Tank ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.