Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner :) with questions... (Read 308 times)
95RedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Savage Owner :) with questions...
01/07/11 at 09:05:28

So I have to buy tires. . .
I have read through the forum, and many of you recommend either Metzler or Dunlop tires,

How do you even choose a tire?

Basically all I can figure is that you just choose a brand and go with it.

I also had a guy at the Suzuki dealership recommend IRCs? He said that is what originally comes on the bike.. Anyone know about this brand?
Of course he quoted me 109 for the front and 130 for the back, whereas I received another quote at a Honda dealership on Metzlers for 120 and 142.
I just want a tire to last me awhile for my money.
I plan on having the bike for awhile Cheesy

Also, have any of you had problems with the engine burning oil?
The guy at the Honda service just said that they all burn a little oil, and that even if I had the engine rebuilt that it would still burn oil? Of course he was surely not a fan of the Savage/S40 and thought that they weren't built to the best standards. . . .
Or should I be worried about the O rings and pistons?

I just bought the bike, it has less than 9K miles on it.
My hubby bunny drove it for 300 miles home, and well when we got it the thing didn't even have any oil in it. . .   Undecided
So of course we are learning as we go!
I wanted to have the bike ready to ride and registered by March
(Of course I have to get new tires, and have a tune-up)
I have loved reading your forum!
Thank you  Grin Have a good day!

« Last Edit: 01/07/11 at 18:13:30 by 95RedSavage »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Savage Owner :) with questions...
Reply #1 - 01/07/11 at 09:40:28

Metzlers will last 2 to 4 times longer than the IRC's besides feeling a 100 times better.  Dun's will last at least twice as long.  And the prices quoted are terrible.  I hope those are the installed prices.

download the owners manual if you don't have one.

Oil level by the manual is done with the bike held vertical.  On the side stand it may look empty.  I hope that was the problem.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 01/07/11 at 09:42:06

I bought a new rear tire this past summer.  For me, it came down to what I could get, and what I could afford, and a brand I wasn't "afraid" of riding.  I ended up with a Dunlop.  Others will chime in I'm sure, but different tires perform differently, so it can depend on your riding style.  Do you want a stiff tire or a soft tire?  IRC's are on these bikes from factory.  Whether you want to stick with that is up to you.  Also, the rear stock size is 140/80.  I went with 140/90, as many here do, because it works, and there are more 140/90 options available, and they are usually cheaper.  I haven't replaced the front yet, so I can't help there.  Most say 1 front tire will last through about 2 rears.  I'm happy with the Dunlop.

Just beware the first few miles on new tires... mine felt "slick" until it got the newness worn off.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
95RedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/07/11 at 10:07:49

The prices quoted were just the tires... How much do you usually pay?
and do you mean prices for the IRCs? or Metzlers?

Ah well I do have a manual, I just found what you said about holding it vertically... I guess we will see over the next couple months of riding whether it really burns oil or whether it was rider difficulty Wink
I plan on buying a Clymers manual shortly for it...

I am new to riding, this is my first 'real' bike. . . so I really do not know why you would want a stiff or soft tire?

And... well I have learned over the years.. that cheaper is not always best, so I am not looking for the cheapest, rather, the best quality tire.

« Last Edit: 01/07/11 at 18:14:02 by 95RedSavage »  
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 01/07/11 at 10:23:27

Pirelli 66 Route tires are the best for handling,And will give you a softer ride,And the price isn't bad either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 01/07/11 at 10:32:09

It shouldn't use oil under normal use. I run miles between add or changes I do find if I run either of mine hard on at freeway speeds they will use about a pint a day.  Tires are a matter of choice, you've been given some good suggestions here. If you haven't taken a riders safety course consider it as it will be helpful to new or re-entering riders Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/07/11 at 11:20:54

Quote:
Of course he quoted me 109 for the front and 130 for the back

For the IRC's it should be about half that.  I got a rear D401 for $110 inc shipping a few months ago.  Of course it was on sale, and I installed it myself.

Expect to get nailed about $30 per install not including tube if you bring the wheel in by itself.

WWW   IP Logged
95RedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/07/11 at 11:46:53

Well that is good to know about the oil and running it hard Smiley thank you.

What are the pros/cons of running a bigger/smaller size tire.

I want to use the bike for little rides around town as well as rides that would be around 2-3 hours or 200-300 miles. I want to get used to riding and long distance riding, and sitting.

I do plan on taking the riders safety course! And have heard great things about it Wink

Well.. That is good to know about the IRCs. The price he quoted me was the price off of parts unlimited. No discounts, or added stuff..
So I will check those IRCs off my list Smiley

I will have to have the tires mounted and balanced by a shop and I have already added that cost on top of the tires..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/07/11 at 12:18:05

95RedSavage wrote on 01/07/11 at 11:46:53:
What are the pros/cons of running a bigger/smaller size tire.

The advantage of running a bigger tire (140/90)... lower rpm's at speed.

I run a 130/90-16 for a 5 mph gain at 60 mph.  Of course you can do that on stock rims.   Grin

The 140/90-15's will make up for the speedo error.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 01/07/11 at 12:28:53

My new rear Dunlop was right at $200, installed.  I don't remember the breakdown of tire/installation/tube, etc.  

Think of hitting speed bumps and small potholes.  Do you want a tire that hits them firmly or softly?  The stiffer the sidewall material, the harder the hit will be.  Think of curvy roads too.  Tire stiffness makes a difference on how the bike will handle and feel to you as the rider.  I don't think there is right or wrong, just personal preference.  So its just something to take into consideration when buying a tire.  

Of course, your personal body weight, load on the bike, shocks, etc. all come into play too.  Take everything into account when choosing.  Read up on all the different tires and find one that suits your style.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #10 - 01/07/11 at 14:24:56

If you have  saddlebag brackets check the cleanance sitting on the bike.  They will rub the brackets when you hit uneven pavement.  I was lucky the dealer made the swap back at no charge.  That was my experience trying the larger tire.  I have an 05.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 01/07/11 at 14:34:44

Tires will always cost more at a dealer, unless they're having a special promotion. They have overhead -- especially now when bike sails are in the toilet.

Find out if you have a motorcycle parts/accessories/apparel showroom near you. Their prices are usually a bit lower than dealers.

The best prices are off the net, but then you have to get them mounted or do it yourself (which is a fine skill to have).

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 01/07/11 at 15:36:35

Welcome, so much fun awaits you.  Does your Hubby ride also?
As you are new to riding, I would suggest the grippiest tires...with Dunlops being quite good and I think the Pirelli's better.  You don't need the hard compound last an extra 3000 miles tire at this point in your riding career, you need the tire that helps you when you go into a corner a little hot (fast).   And as babyhog so nicely put it, the new tires are slppery so until you use them a bit..be extra careful;.  (Of course,  that's what hubby bunnies are for).

With less than 9K miles, it shouldn't be buring oil..find a Suzuki shop with a mechanic who is sympathetic with thumper..not a Honda guy.
I'd get that issue ironed out before investing in new tires..cause if it is really buring oil, I'd seriously consider finding a S-40/Savage that is in better shape....buring oil at 9K suggest the PO didn't treat it well and you want your first years to be about learning to ride with skill, not worrying about your motorcycle.
 Did you buy the bike from the Suzi shop that's trying to put you on the IRC's?  If the salesman is simply trying to move his stock.. you can't blame him.  Yet, if they are reputable shop, I'd think having their mechanic go over the bike (esp the engine like a compression check if indeed oil goes missing) would be a good kind of tune up; then get into tires once all is vouched for as good.  

Best of luck either way and welcome to the wonderfull world of motorcycling..a nicer crowd you can't find. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
95RedSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/07/11 at 19:11:12

Hmmm This is a lot more than I expected when looking into tires...
and motorcycles... Undecided

I think that I would rather have a medium ride, not too stiff, but not too soft.

Well I only found the Metzlers for like 10/20 dollars cheaper online but that did not include shipping. . .

Well of course my hubby knew to tip the bike level to check the oil! He said that it was bone dry when he checked it and put oil in it.    Undecided

I have read about the tires being slippery for the first 100 or so miles, and ya Smiley that is what Hunny Bunnies are for Smiley

Why do you call them Thumpers?

Naw, we bought the motorcycle from some guy in Deleware, it was a great deal and we had been looking for some time..
But on the bright side we got it for 1k.

Ah. We are in Pennsylvania right now, and well the last 3 shops I have visited I do not think I would really trust doing mechanic work,
so in March we plan to return to our hometown Honda dealership. They have done work for us before.
My hubby bunny got me a 1979 185cc Honda Twinstar Cheesy and he cleaned it up, best he could and then we took it in for the final touches and they did a really good job with it!

So.. after riding that for a bit, I moved up to his 03 Nighthawk 250. Smiley My goal is to ride cross county and see lots of cool stuff before we have kids. This is the next step towards that Cheesy  It is so much fun to ride together. Now I can go on trips with him Smiley He has a 1986 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC. It is way fun, but I like riding on my own bike! Smiley Grin

What are some of your stories?

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 01/07/11 at 19:39:53

Yes welcome to the forum. It is always great when another woman takes to riding her own ride.
Your right in saying their is alot to learn. You will learn as much as you want to with the help here. This forum is loaded to the rafters with the best knowledgeable people one could ever hope to find.
Be sure to go up above the cafe and introduce yourself as well as agree to the terms if you haven't already.
Any mechanical questions once again can be asked and answered in this section.
Use the Cafe to ask others about their ride stories. Were always happy to tell about our rookie years as well as our current rides.
Again welcome aboard and post some pics if you have them.. Hugs.. Kim  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner :) with questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.