Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW (Read 301 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW
01/03/11 at 20:02:59

THE CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW

Las Vegas !!

The superbowl of geek gadgets everywhere !!!!

Now we all ride our bikes on this list but we all post here using a computer.

And this year computing is gonna change like it never has before ....

Last year people were showing 800 mhz Android laptops and tablets that could be built  (and were, and were shipped this year)

But this year at CES they will deliver the 1 ghz, 2 ghz and up triple and quad core tablets and e-readers and the little tiny form factor destops (the size of a drill bit set) that can replace and outperform the huge white box sitting by your monitor.

Or a monitor with the stuff built into the case, take your pick.

Or the 13"  laptop that is 3/8" thick at the hinge and weighs about 1.8 pounds.

And their little brains have been buzzing about what else you can do with this level of computing power inside a tiny tiny form factor.

Year before last they delivered a computer that would plug into a wall socket just like a charger module -- it was called the Pogo Plug.   It was pretty durn neat.   That's old tech now-a-days.

This year I'm looking for them to build me a usb hub looking gizmo that acts as a wired and/or wifi hub for ALL my devices including ANY old style of existing printer -- an instant home lan network that you don't even have to plug into, your old laptop jest sees it "in the air" so to speak.

Don't laugh, neat things are gonna come popping out of the woodwork in jest one more day ....

Things like improved flat foil Lithum Hydride batteries (thin and flat and last more than a day in casual use)

Things like these new 128 gigabyte hard drives that are only 2.2mm thick .....

CV

« Last Edit: 01/05/11 at 05:51:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: ONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW
Reply #1 - 01/03/11 at 20:27:56

nice for geeks and people who like to mess with people like SSWatchdog ex member,etc.otherwise right up there with watching grass grow.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: ONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW
Reply #2 - 01/03/11 at 21:10:24

(thin and flat and last more than a day in casual use)

Been huntin that gal

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW
Reply #3 - 01/06/11 at 09:20:28

Here's your big news for all you windows people .....

Microsoft will support windows on ARM chips with Windows 8

How well this will work out with windows OS itself currently exceeding the available total memory space of the devices we are talking about by a factor of 3-4 times,  I dunno.

So, Windows 8 will have to go on a significant diet, or what they said was prone to mis-interpretation (yours, of course).

My guess is that WinCE gets a sort of Win8 looking interface and nothing else much changes for windows world.

By the time this happens, folks will have years & years of experience on Android and will have a nice long yardstick to compare any future real Windows offering to.

==========================

Scary stuff for Microsoft and Intel, 85% of the new innovative products announced at CES did not involve their chips or operating systems.  

Dum Dum de Dum (death march time).

AMD is interesting, all their new stuff is low power faster multi-core very small chips complete with ATI based video right on the small chip die.  All of it will run Windows or ARM or Google OS or Linux or whatever.  AMD is squaring up to take over the notebook and low end laptop space from Intel as Intel isn't offering a good graphics solution for the bottom end yet (requires an INVIDA separate chip to get similar results).  

And INVIDA is competing against AMD in this space with an ARM chip & video combo called TEGRA2.   AMD and TEGRA2 are the only two horses in this low end race right at this minute, with AMD being the only one that even can run Windows at all.  Intel is still working on something, though .....

Intel is gonna have to scramble hard to keep its place as a major player, and Microsoft is going to become totally business base dependent (legacy hardware) supplier if they don't shake their butts and MOVE off their little holy throne some.   They are fast on the way to being the new IBM of the 2010's if they don't MOVE and move fast.

What is scary is all the emerging large players, the Indian, Taiwanese and Chinese chip makers and board makers and laptop makers are not spending any development time on what we know as a full sized laptop or set top box any more.   It is all spent on ARM and AMD devices that are lighter, run longer on a battery charge and cost less to make.  Laptops and tablets and that's it folks .... little thin things that run a long time on a battery charge.

If Windows 8 isn't on the same OS footprint size as XP or Linux and run fast as the dickens on this new light hardware then it is likely all over for Microsoft.  They can't withstand another total OS fumble in this very sweeping large scale changing environment.

=========================

Don't throw away any old laptops or hardware from the past 2 generations -- what is old is likely gonna become new again when the new "smaller footprint" operating systems all shake themselves out good.   And an OS change may make your obsolete XP box perfectly functional again ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/06/11 at 09:37:35

Yup, that's a motorola laptop that you slip your phone into the back of it to make it go.

Actually, the laptop is all hollow inside (except for a huge battery of course), all the operating guts come from the phone you just docked into the back of it.

This is Motorola admitting that the new cell phones have all the horsepower it takes to be a computer and the only things they lack to BE a complete laptop is a big screen and a keyboard.

Expect to see more of this sort of stuff as folks are already carrying the cell phones and the thin and light laptop docking stations don't have to be very heavy at all (except for the extra battery capacity they bring to the party)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/06/11 at 09:37:44

I hate change....
I'm just getting used to XP... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/06/11 at 09:52:58

Don't leave home without it!!  Grin

(Yeah, I really use it at work, and I LOVE IT!)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/06/11 at 10:57:10

Serowbot wrote on 01/06/11 at 09:37:44:
I hate change....

I hate change.

Well, the jump from Bush to the Bamster didnt bother you any then. Cuz nothing that matters changed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/06/11 at 17:04:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/06/11 at 10:57:10:
I hate change....

I hate change.

Well, the jump from Bush to the Bamster didnt bother you any then. Cuz nothing that matters changed.

Wrong again Justin,  Oct 2004 "just in the past few months,I think a light has gone off for people who've spent time up close to bush: that this instinct he's always talking about is this sort of weird ,messianic idea of what he thinks God has told him to do.This is why George W.Bush is so clear-eyed about Al Qaeda and the islamic fundamentalst enemy.....He understands them ,because he's just like them.This is why he dispenses with people who confront him with inconvenient facts,he truly believes he's on a mission from God.Absolute faith like that overwhelms a need for analysis. ... but you can't run the world on faith.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 01/06/11 at 23:02:25

I hate change....

I kinda agree, I like my XP.  Of course I thought I liked my previous Windows '98, until I got used to the XP.  Frankly, as long as it lets me check the forums and bike sites, the occasional stupid YouTube video, I really don't need anything too fancy. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 01/07/11 at 12:16:40

Those thin hard-drives are actually Solid State Drives, SSD's for short.  The wave of the future sort of..... No moving parts!!!!!!

Same idea as a thumb drive but tied into the computer mother board instead of the USB port.   The company I was just laid of from (LSI which is formerly part of Bell Labs, the place that invented the transistor)  has a patent on the technology that uses modern hard-drive data compression algorithms  to get more space out of the the memory chips.

It will be another two or three years until the prices come down to where it will be affordable.  Right now the profit margins on the flash chips are too high, and companies are too greedy to understand that if they cut the profits a bit, they could sell more and make the same yearly income.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/07/11 at 21:59:41

T-Mack says

companies are too greedy to understand that if they cut the profits a bit, they could sell more and make the same yearly income.

If I cut the price of my burgers & manage to make the same profit every year, because I sold more, then heeeers what happens.

I buy & process more materials. I use more energy. Every step of the production process is repeated more times, using the equipment.

All that activity, for the same number of dollars in profit isnt generally considered a wise business decision, IMO, based on the prevailing attitudes I see. It would have a few positive side effects, tho. I mite need to run the place 24 hours, increasing my number of employees, adding jobs to the community. Id be buying more raw materials, so, the vendors would make more, maybe someone would even have to hire someone to keep up with the increased sales,, &, If I can manage to wear my production equipment out at the same time it becomes obsolete & the depreciation has eaten the value , I can replace equipment with a more advanced model & run more efficiently & make improvements on my chip.

Might BE a good idea.. I think its worth more study.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 01/07/11 at 22:03:17

I would rather have a fast nickle than a slow dime.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/10/11 at 07:33:30

It's generally the cost of r&d plus some that has to be recovered
quickly - otherwise if the bottom falls out of the price, or a better idea
shows up - there won't be a next round of r&d.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 01/10/11 at 07:34:54

youzguyz wrote on 01/06/11 at 09:52:58:
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2011%5C01%5C06%5Cbikepics-2126919-full.jpg

Don't leave home without it!!  Grin

(Yeah, I really use it at work, and I LOVE IT!)

I think I still have a runable copy of NextStep around here if you need it  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:02:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.