Drive belt snapped ! (Read 396 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Drive belt snapped !
Reply #15 - 12/21/10 at 21:33:27

verslagen1 wrote on 12/21/10 at 20:47:05:
I think you torque the nut to make the bike go forward.

If so, then its left hand thread where a r hand otta be.

I say its r hand thread. Someone otta look in a book.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #16 - 12/21/10 at 21:53:30

Thanks for all the help guys.

I still need the answer but I am almost out of time.
We having xmas work do, while I'm doing this in the back shed.

We have flattened the locking tab on the washer, and tried to do undo it left & right but it's not breaking and the pulley just keeps turning no matter what we try.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 12/21/10 at 22:14:25

MaxMayhem wrote on 12/21/10 at 21:53:30:
Thanks for all the help guys.

I still need the answer but I am almost out of time.
We having xmas work do, while I'm doing this in the back shed.

We have flattened the locking tab on the washer, and tried to do undo it left & right but it's not breaking and the pulley just keeps turning no matter what we try.

Did you run the old belt onto the pulley & clamp it w/ vise grips & then let it swing up onto the engine? That otta hold it. Mitte use a block O wood between engine & vise grips

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #18 - 12/21/10 at 22:31:15

Yip did that justin, but belt just slipped as it turned.
We have to go home now, they locking the site up.

Can't even start the darn job, cause of this one darn nut.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 12/22/10 at 07:20:50

I may be wrong here but I pulled the belt of my bike before I yanked the engine. If I recall, I removed the stator cover and then angled the belt out of there.
Hope that helps...

P.S. That was with the rear wheel already off, bike in neutral and I did not have to remove the pulley.

« Last Edit: 12/22/10 at 12:27:09 by Bubba »  

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
DBC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/22/10 at 11:37:52

I don't know if you have Impact Driver at your disposal, but thats what I used.  Just put it in first gear and the nut comes right off.  I just did mine yesterday as I did my teardown for my cafe project.  I made the mistake of removing the rear wheel before removing the drive pulley so that was really the quickest way for me to do it (rather than putting the swing arm an wheel back on just to take off a pulley).

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 12/23/10 at 06:48:46

Clymers says to put transmission in NEUTRAL and have someone hold back brake on to take nut off. I realize you can't do this, but a little engineering and patience should provide a way to make belt hold pulley while loosening nut. Clymers states on page 127 to make sure the belt is properly meshed with the drive and driven pulleys before re installation or belt teeth CAN BE STRIPPED. Page 148 shows "Engine drive pulley nut" should be torqued to  100-130 Nm or 73-94 ft lb. Page 290 also shows installation procedure. Left hand threads are not mentioned. Also, start to bend washer tab slightly before installing to give a headstart on tapping it over nut flat. Someone mentioned impact wrench. I wonder if Harbor Freight's cheap electric is any good. A little PB Blaster and impact can move mountains, but I don't have air and wonder if electric is okay for those once a year jobs? Anyone have one?   Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #22 - 12/23/10 at 06:57:38

Verslagen, Didn't notice you had posted torque values. And others. I've never done this. Just stating what manual says for information. Not trying to sound like I know what I'm doing. But my uncle taught me when I was a young'n you can do a lot with a block of wood and a hammer.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 12/23/10 at 07:34:49

It's a standard thread, (lefty loosey)...  and I had to use an electric impact wrench to get it off...

I did it with the tranny in neutral to avoid any internal damage... try to wedge something into the pulley teeth to give you something to crank against... my belt was intact, so I had a friend sit on the bike and hold the brake pedal down...
... and beg, borrow, or steal (or rent) a powered impact wrench...
Best luck...

... once again, to be clear... it's CCW to loosen....
standard thread direction... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #24 - 12/23/10 at 11:26:09

Ok.  I got the job done yesterday.

Here is how it went and quite easy too.

Remove front pulley cover.
Undo bottom bolt on left hand suspension and lift suspension out of the way.
Remove belt guard.
Remove broken belt if it did not fall off when it broke.
Use this time to clean any build up of scum & dirt etc from around pulleys etc.
Put engine into neutral (This allows the pulley to turn freely for next step).
Use old belt around front pulley and clamp together with locking-pliers.
turn pulley until locking-pliers butt up against the engine cover.
Use a flat screwdriver or similar and hammer to tap flat the washer behind the 32mm nut on the front pulley as this stops the nut spinning off in a worst case scenario. (Why Suzuki put a nut on here that loosens the same direction as it drives I don't know)
Once washer has been tapped down flat, put bike in gear, put front wheel against a wall, then use a ratchet-gun with a 32mm socket and turn LEFT to loosen.
Once nut is off the washer will come off, followed by the pulley.
Fit new belt to front pulley and put pulley back on.
Note the washer has small notches that match the spindle the pulley goes on to.
Important - using screwdriver bend the washer back up.
Use ratchet gun to tighten 32mm nut back up (not too tight or you will over torque)
Now loosen the rear wheel bolt and slacken off the belt adjusters on either side (The adjusters may not need to be slackened off, but I felt it didn't make the job any harder)
Push, kick whatever you want the rear tyre in towards the direction of the handlebars as much as you can.
Now loop the new belt over the top of the rear pulley.
Once you have the belt teeth in the top of the rear pulley as snug as possible, straddle the bike, put the bike in neutral and slowly reverse the bike.
The belt will fit itself as you reverse.
Once belt is on give it a look over to make sure it is on correctly, then re-align the belt with the belt adjusters on either side of the bike.
Retighten up the rear wheel bolt & front pulley nut to the torque settings Verslagen1 mentioned earlier.
Put covers back on, (Also as I found out the hard way, when tightening the 3 bolts on the front pulley cover, do so very gently. I went only a little bit to far on the short top bolt and stripped the inner thread.)
Then the rear left suspension.
Tip here, get someone to lift the weight from the rear end when you refit the suspension as the bolt tends not to line up with the weight pushing down towards the wheel.

Check everything is back on, tight and no spares left over and your good to go.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #25 - 12/23/10 at 13:23:14

what? no leftover parts, then the job is done wrong, i always have leftover parts.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #26 - 12/23/10 at 13:32:33

just one thing max,in the book they reccomend using a new washer after the tab has been bent and rebent. Oh well next time huh ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 12/23/10 at 14:18:07

Check everything is back on, tight and no spares left over and your good to go.

Next week, when you find a nut or bolt layin around, youre gonna scratch yer head & ask yerself

Where did that GO??

Congrats, ya DId IT!
Sorry it cost so much. Next time you need something, ask around before spending Big $$$.. someone may have something you can have for cheap, or freight.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #28 - 12/23/10 at 14:23:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/23/10 at 14:18:07:
Congrats, ya DId IT!
Sorry it cost so much. Next time you need something, ask around before spending Big $$$.. someone may have something you can have for cheap, or freight.

i second that motion.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #29 - 12/23/10 at 16:56:07

I would have asked if time wasn't a major factor this time around.

My ability to get to work atm with jobs scarce around here, meant I had zero options but to get the part, get it now, and get it fixed.
$tealership may be expensive but they had it less than 24hrs after ordering it, and as I live in the country about 30 mins ride from where I work in the city, I could not afford to wait.
And as most of you are in the states and I am in New Zealand, the time would have been too long.

If I notice things that are beginning to wear out etc I will post up large here to see what others can help with, but let's face it, it's usually the unforseen things that tend to happen at just the wrong time.

mick: I saw no reason than the manual covering it's ass legally to replace the washer after each use.
You should be able to bend the same spot at least twice and then still use opposite side a couple times after that.
For all it's flexability that washer is pretty strong, though I would not rebend the same side more than twice, but would order a new one If I planned to do this again just to be on the safe side.

Boofer: I used a 24v battery Impact Wrench that a mechanic around the corner from my work let me borrow for nothing as long as I didn't take too long.  Worked a treat.

So today I bought some oil and oil filter to do oil change over xmas break as bike hasn't had one since I got it and is at 27799km (I purchased at 15000km), and mid Jan I am doing the Verslagen1 cam-chain tensioner mod.
I myself will not be doing the actual mod, but a mate who I have shown the before and after pictures, has told me it'll only take about 1/2 hour for him to do for $0.00 (I reckon add a couple hours more for fidggeting around) once I have removed the tensioner etc and given to him. (He is an automotive engineer and his boss let's him use the work gear for personal stuff as long as he doesn't have anyone hanging around the workshop.)
Then I will do another oil change once that is done since I will have to drain most the oil anyway, just to get any particulates that might get in once tensioner engine covers are off, just to be safe

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:17:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt snapped !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.