Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newb looking to get talked into a Savage. (Read 359 times)
TheAyudo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newb looking to get talked into a Savage.
12/12/10 at 21:09:44

Hello,

I've been reading these boards off and on since the summer and have recently found an '06 savage for sale for $2500 with low mileage.  

I've been interested in picking up a good entry level bike that can take me around town (New Orleans) and occasionally take me down I-10 to visit family and friends back in Texas.  The savage has been one of several bikes I've considered picking up, and the combination of great gas mileage and low entry cost give it a slight edge over other bikes.

My main concern is how well an LS650 would handle on the highway.  How it's affected by cross winds and how stable it is at higher rpm's.  As a commuter any bike would fit my needs; my current commute is only 5 or 10 minutes through moderate traffic.

Also if the bike could be improved by modding, what are some essential mods that can improve it's usefulness on long level concrete, and rutty, poorly maintained city roads?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Newb looking to get talked into a Savage.
Reply #1 - 12/12/10 at 21:45:51

Depenging on what you consider low mileage, it sounds like a good deal. Take someone who knows bikes to check it out. This is not opinion, but fact--the LS650/S40 is great as is. I assume you are new to riding as well as this site. Buy one and ride it 500 miles in all seasons. Then will you have an idea of what you don't like about it. A lot of folks don't like the seat, BUTT you may find it ok. Grin The only real problem I see on the Savage is the petcock. After 7,000 miles (14,000 all together) I'm about ready to go to the Raptor petcock on my '01. It is a light bike at 352 lbs. and wind does affect it. Again, if you get one that has not been ragged out, it will give you good service even if just run as stock. The people on here (including me) like to "personalize" our bikes, but most probably wait till something fails before we upgrade; at least the parts that make it go. Now cosmetic changes is a whole 'nuther story. IHTH

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 12/12/10 at 23:57:48

Suzuki's LS650 S40/Savage has been around virtually unchanged for 25 years ... that alone should be in indication of just how good a Bike it is ... get one ... you won't regret it! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 12/13/10 at 00:47:04

I do not understand this entry level bike stuff when your talking about the 650. I ride with guys with much larger bikes and they consider the Savage a big bike!  I rode mine across the US, and had not one problem, and that was running most of the time at freeway speeds. It is quicker than most big cruisers to 50 or 60 mph, and it will cruise all day long at 70 to 75 mph. It is dependable! The draw backs is it is light weight and not as comfortable as a larger cruiser at high speeds, but still handles it well. A lot of air space threw the frame so cross winds are not a real problem. No more than most bikes. Too windy is when it's time to park it anyway. Another drawback for me is its small frame makes carrying lots of stuff, like sleeping bags and tents a bit of a problem but many in here do. Riding two up is not a problem on this bike for short trips, but I wouldn't advise it on a long one. To hard on the passenger. Also another drawback is the small gas tank. Your limited to maybe 120 miles on a tank. I'd have liked a slightly larger tank. This bike gets lots of respect from other riders and they seem to think it's just a big bike in a small frame.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/13/10 at 08:29:22

Federally Required Warning:   Addictive Substance

The Savage in all its forms is noted as forming addictive bonds to the owner/operator which can cause great distress if severed.

Symptoms include performance tuning, customization and full bore modding all of which act to increase the bond between Savage and Operator.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 12/13/10 at 08:36:52

The Savage is a good MC, no question about it. However, it's weakest point is it's ability to travel or tour on super slabs (interstates, autobans or whatever you want to call them). IMHO it is underpowered for all day travel on these roads. The gas tank is also undersized.

As far your concerns about handling and wind, mine was stable at all speeds, and was less effected by crosswinds than my Concours, headwinds are a different story. The Savage would labor in a strong headwind, I don't even notice one on my Concours.

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #6 - 12/13/10 at 08:57:44

Which bike? Wonderful question. The LS650 is a good bike, quick and handles well in traffic, rides nicely at 70-75 mph, a tad short in avaliable range, not a major problem, tho a larger tank would be nice, quite reliable.---My CB250 is a better bike around town, lighter, quicker handling, more fun in traffic. Works well on the road also, did 2500 mile trip on it in 08.----My GSX650F works really well on the road, from 50-100 mph it's like a hot knife in soft butter, bit of a pig around town, but not bad. I think most of the bikes out ther would meet your needs. Does the LS650 "fit" you? I would have a bike that was not comfortable for me. I bet this hasn't helped a bit. The LS650 is a good solid bike, fairly cheap to purchase and operate. Could be a really good choice. If I had to go to only one bike (of those I have) it would be the Ls650. By the way, have you seen the new Royal Enfield, Bonneville LE and Tiger, Ural? So many bikes, so little time and money---Now I'm off in dreamland with Peter Egan. Gotta go decide which bike to ride today Undecided---Good luck---Luke

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #7 - 12/13/10 at 11:43:21

some of the long time riders have spoken to the longevity and endurance of the Savage - I was a complete newb to motorcycling when i bought mine in May 2010.....my only previous experience with a motorcycle was less than 2 minutes as a passenger (NEVER AGAIN!) & less than 10 minutes as a driver on a 175 dirt bike in 1979..couldn't get it out of 1st gear, it wheeled on me and I found myself stradling it while the front tire was setting on the back window of my buddy's vw.....no more cycling for me until May 2010......I am a freakin huge guy 6'1" 400+lbs....when i decided to get a bike i sat on everything from Honda Nighthawk 750, Virago 750, Vulcan 500 (too small for me), Vulcan 1800 (too big for beginner).....all of the beginner size cruiser style bikes I sat on had the pegs too far back under my hips - bad knees mean i need forward controls - the bone stock 1995 savage i sat on was perfect.....I found a lower mileage 1996 (6900miles) and got it for $1200. I did not like the factory exhaust - so I put a Jardine slash cut on it, replaced the petcock with a Raptor, changed the oil, filter and spark plug, left the factory style air filter and box as is, put a spitfire winshield on it and I drive it everyday 5-10 minute commute - 60 mile round trip once a month to one of our other facilities.....have not taken it on any extended highway rides yet - been on the 70-75 zones for 5-10 miles at a time a few times - I just am not comfy with the higher speeds yet since i am a newb...but the 45-55 and around town riding I LOVE IT!......yes the seat could use a little help especially for a big guy but I can tolerate it for now....since May I have put 1600 miles on mine.....looking foreward to many years/miles of smiles and fun from this machine.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 12/13/10 at 11:52:34

Really like mine around town and for commuting. Have ridden on the highway up to the mountains and a few of the highways around the city. I'm light (145) and do get blown around a bit but I think I would on a bigger bike too. As far as power I love the low end torque but feel as if it's trying hard to pass at highway speeds. I also do not have a windshield which means I get the full brunt of wind blast on the highway speeds. I don't particularly like riding on the slab tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/13/10 at 11:59:34

Let's put it this way... It's a bike w/o any agreegeous handling faults.  It's light weight for ease of man-handling when necessary.  It has the torque and power to get out of it's own way and not be tempremental.  Maintenance can be performed with a modest collection of tools and skills.  And one of the best Owners groups of all time.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
TheAyudo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/13/10 at 15:21:59

A lot of good advice, I really appreciate the replies.  I expected that the ls650 would fit my needs, and the replies have put any worries I've had to bed.  Once I've looked at the bike this weekend I'll have a better feel for how it fits, and so long as I can find a decent price on the insurance I'll probably be picking it up in short order.  

I'll post some updates once I've taken a look at it this weekend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/13/10 at 22:45:30

One of the cheapest to insure,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 12/14/10 at 01:39:02

And the least likely to get stolen too.

Plus, you can put your feet down on the ground at a stop light and effectively put a dab down if you need to when turning on wet grass.

And you can pick it up with no sweat by yourself if your dab doesn't keep your footpeg up off the grass ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 12/14/10 at 05:49:21

here in NC for bare minimum to put a license plate on it was $107 yr...All State

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/14/10 at 08:51:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/14/10 at 01:39:02:

And the least likely to get stolen too.

I used to put a big ulock through the back wheel and put a cover over it and everything.  Now it's just like whatever...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newb looking to get talked into a Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.