Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike wouldn't start.....Amazing (Read 125 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Bike wouldn't start.....Amazing
12/19/10 at 05:30:07

Setting a couple weeks, 40 degrees, yesterday it wouldn't start....1st time ever !
But I noticed right away it was turning slowly, no surprise because the battery was weak 1 1/2 yrs ago. I usually keep a float on it, but forgot this time.
I remembered you guys saying the engine has to spin perdy good or it it won't fire,......so I had faith that there wasn't a real problem. Floated it for a couple 3 hrs, and it almost scared me,.... it started so fast,....amazing !

The battery (OEM '07) still passes a 50 amp load test time wise, but the loaded voltage is always low @ 9.5 - 10.0. instead of 10.5 - 11

Resting voltage after charge is always 12.3 instead of 12.6-7. I'm sure it will go another year when ridden at least weekly.

Sometimes its a just challenge to see how far I can push something,........as long as it don't leave me walking !  But that not saying,......I mite be a little "cheap" too Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike wouldn't start.....Amazing
Reply #1 - 12/19/10 at 10:10:16

Batteries,, aarrgghh,, batteries,, the bane of owners of stuff with engines,, lawnmower, 2 bikes,.2 cars, a pickup, a backhoe, Lawnmower eats one a year, this year, I remembered to pull the battery & haul it to Walmart to be checked out. IF it was gonna cost me to replace it, I was going to another store, BUT, they Gave me a New One,, , Backhoe, samey same,, Im thinking the V reg is Overcharging it, cuz it gets low on H2O way too often, But, I got a free one, now I need to see why they arent lasting. Im pretty sure leaving the key on was bad for it,, duuuh.. At least trhe cars & pickup get used enough to keep the batteries up, & once I get the Suz running again, Im selling it. so that battery hassle will bre gone,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/19/10 at 10:13:22

I have a yuasa gel battery, i don't even think about it  Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 12/19/10 at 12:02:21

you're right on the won't fire voltage at 12.3 a tad lower like
another .02 or .03 less the spark is so weak if at all that's it...

"Sometimes its a just challenge to see how far I can push something"
is going to take on a different meaning at 12.26 depending on where you happen to be Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/19/10 at 12:38:03

Put a VM on the battery while starting, if it reads less than 10v it won't fire.  Period.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/19/10 at 14:26:14

Reelthing wrote on 12/19/10 at 12:02:21:
you're right on the won't fire voltage at 12.3 a tad lower like
another .02 or .03 less the spark is so weak if at all that's it...

"Sometimes its a just challenge to see how far I can push something"
is going to take on a different meaning at 12.26 depending on where you happen to be Smiley

& uphill or down will be figuring into the equation at that point.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 12/21/10 at 08:15:25

Routy, I've waited till now to respond to see what would happen to mine. Weather and bad back put me off for two weeks, about like you. Temps about the same in daytime. My battery (Yuasa) has been completely discharged twice over the last 1 1/2 years. Key on overnight. Don't know how old it is. Last Saturday it would just turn slow, so I finally put the Schumacher tender on it I bought at WM last year. $20. Went out today, Wednesday, and fired her right up. As for the other comments on here my paperwork says it will charge car batteries with a 50 per cent charge already in them. Depending on the CCA rating 15-46 hours. It also blinks if battery is suspect, light on for power on , charging, and one for charged. Small batteries 2-13 hrs. Hope to get through winter with this little helper. BTW, I am not cheap--I'm broke! No wait, my wife has just confirmed I am cheap and broke.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 12/21/10 at 08:35:02

Boofer,
I didn't mean to mislead,.....my "cheap" and "broke" go together also Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike wouldn't start.....Amazing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.